• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report: NFL covered up facts regarding Deflategate that might have exonerated Tom Brady, Patriots

Bob will be back under a different username he just can't help himself.
Slash we full confidence you will flush him out like a soft turd. šŸ˜œ

Dollars to donuts Lunar found some kick-*** way to incorporate clamato or tomato juice into some rum.

Actually, that sounds so disgusting I don't think even he could pull that one off.

Unless he is quoting the moving "the Shinning"

Salute the nation

Bob will be back under a different username he just can't help himself.

Such a pathetic existance. NOT judging b ut if he would just admit who he is and try to talk / chat in a normal way... he might just be.........NAAAAaaa he could never be.

Salute the nation

Guys, the ignore button is your friend. You never have to see BS troll bait again. Works great!

7 years later, Deflategate is in the news again: Report suggests NFL covered up facts that might have exonerated Tom Brady, Patriots​

Deflategate is the gift that keeps on giving. The NFL-manufactured scandal that accused the New England Patriots and quarterback Tom Brady of illegally tampering with the air pressure inside footballs to gain a competitive advantage ā€” an accusation that was later disproven by basic science ā€” dominated news cycles throughout 2015 and 2016.

Now, it is back. A new book by Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk shines a light on the league officeā€™s role in the scandal and how it actively worked against the Patriots.

Two pieces of information were recently shared in a quasi-excerpt from the book: who was responsible for the erroneous tweet by ESPNā€™s Chris Mortensen claiming that 11 of 12 Patriots footballs were two pound per square inch (PSI) below the leagueā€™s air pressure range (12.5-13.5), and how the NFL handled measurements conducted during the 2015 season.

As for Mortensenā€™s tweet, its source reportedly was NFL vice president of football operations Troy Vincent:

Vincent played a key role in the whole Deflategate affair, being present during measurements at halftime of the 2014 AFC Championship Game between the Patriots and the visiting Indianapolis Colts. The Colts had alerted the league about a rumor originating with the Baltimore Ravens that New England would tamper with the footballs; the NFL tried to catch the Patriots in the act and measured the footballs at the half.

New Englandā€™s balls were measured first, and only one of the twelve was more than 2 PSI below the threshold; the others ranged from 1.8 to 0.2 PSI below but still within a scientifically explainable range. Yet, Mortensenā€™s tweet remained online and the basis of much of the talk about Deflategate.

Obviously, the leagueā€™s field study conducted during the 2015 season would have helped exonerate the Patriots and their quarterback after their were heavily penalized for their alleged involvement. However, NFL hid the numbers, reportedly at the behest of league counsel Jeff Pash:

The fact that the NFL league office built an expensive case against New England and eventually conspired to keep unfavorable evidence hidden is nothing new. The league never releasing the testing numbers after the 2015 season was sufficient proof of that already.

Now, however, we know who played a key role in the process that eventually cost the Patriots two draft picks ā€” a first- and a fourth-rounder ā€” and led to the NFL suspending Tom Brady for four games: Troy Vincent either knowingly or not feeding wrong numbers to a receptive journalist, and Jeff Pash covering up facts that would have proven the NFLā€™s case to be based in fiction rather than fact.

Ultimately, however, none of it matters. Those who believe the Patriots have been guilty of whatnot will still do so, while their two stripped draft will not return. Likewise, this serves as further proof that Vincent and Pash tried to hold onto the conclusions that were drawn in the Gillette Stadium locker room in January 2015.

At the end of the day, Deflategate remains a full success for the NFL as Pats Pulpitā€™s own Alec Shane wrote in 2016:

Florioā€™s new book will not change any of that.

I can make **** up too and then write a book about it. I am sure some dumb *** like you will buy it.

I can make **** up too and then write a book about it. I am sure some dumb *** like you will buy it.
Looking at those PFT comments the cheat fans sure buy into the bullshit easily. They cheated.... them out of a draft pick yada yada. NFL is out to get them. I guess that is better than their reality that they repeatably cheated was repeatably warned, caught, and punished. Forever asterisks New England deal with it.

Looking at those PFT comments the cheat fans sure buy into the bullshit easily. They cheated.... them out of a draft pick yada yada. NFL is out to get them. I guess that is better than their reality that they repeatably cheated was repeatably warned, caught, and punished. Forever asterisks New England deal with it.

We have a cheatriot fan who doesn't even acknowledge they cheated. She will come to the sports bar and start to watch the game(s) and if the cheatriots are winning she is pretty vocal to the opposing teas fans. Should it be close and calls are going cheatriots way (you know, the norm) she doesn't even consider it. But once the cheaters are behind, she instantly leaves.

The one, or should I say two B-I-G assets she has are not her eyes................................

Salute the nation

ā€œIā€™ve been looking at the man in the arena, Iā€™ve been wondering if heā€™ll change his waysā€ - Michael Jackson, somewhere

JP -

Are you able to provide a citation which shows specific examples of this supposed cheating that the Pats did and the NFL swept under the rug?

Just today there was more than one person here trying to claim that the sanctions against the Pats was "evidence" that they cheated.
Yes. No one can find the tapes anymore! Why? RG had a bonfire

People really donā€™t understand the entire history of why belicheat cheatsā€¦ billy the cheater was Bill Parcells right hand toolā€¦ Bill the greater was always suspected of shady tacticsā€¦ there was a reason he specifically took certain players from team to teamā€¦ the story goes back in the 80ā€™s he caught Walsh cheating with headsets ( sound familiar) and confronted him about itā€¦ walsh gave him some bs about gamesmanship and the league refused to act on it so he adopted a bunch of the tactics and BB just perfected them and expanded it way past gamesmanship to actually spyingā€¦

I mean basically everything rumored about parcells, walsh, davis and a dozen others all are things that the pats are rumored to have doneā€¦ if the nfl pulled on that thread too hard, a lot of hof people are going to be found with no clothesā€¦

But its hard to discuss because many of these rumors predate the internet saturation so they were localized to the nfl camp towns and betting establishmentsā€¦
Something finally came out about this a few years back but the national media ignored it like the plagueā€¦.

Its not like BB woke up one day and thought hey lets cheatā€¦ he was groomed into the mindset

People really donā€™t understand the entire history of why belicheat cheatsā€¦ billy the cheater was Bill Parcells right hand toolā€¦ Bill the greater was always suspected of shady tacticsā€¦ there was a reason he specifically took certain players from team to teamā€¦ the story goes back in the 80ā€™s he caught Walsh cheating with headsets ( sound familiar) and confronted him about itā€¦ walsh gave him some bs about gamesmanship and the league refused to act on it so he adopted a bunch of the tactics and BB just perfected them and expanded it way past gamesmanship to actually spyingā€¦

I mean basically everything rumored about parcells, walsh, davis and a dozen others all are things that the pats are rumored to have doneā€¦ if the nfl pulled on that thread too hard, a lot of hof people are going to be found with no clothesā€¦

But its hard to discuss because many of these rumors predate the internet saturation so they were localized to the nfl camp towns and betting establishmentsā€¦
Something finally came out about this a few years back but the national media ignored it like the plagueā€¦.

Its not like BB woke up one day and thought hey lets cheatā€¦ he was groomed into the mindset
Eh. Itā€™s a win at all cost league. Depending on how bad the franchises want to win. Itā€™s no different than the shady ethics a bunch of our corporations do to keep business going.

Honestly not shocked. Itā€™s a cut throat league. They got caught. But I think every team does advantageous tactics. Iā€™ll leave the cheating debate up to you guys.

Eh. Itā€™s a win at all cost league. Depending on how bad the franchises want to win. Itā€™s no different than the shady ethics a bunch of our corporations do to keep business going.

Honestly not shocked. Itā€™s a cut throat league. They got caught. But I think every team does advantageous tactics. Iā€™ll leave the cheating debate up to you guys.
There is some truth to this, definitely. However, there are still ambassadors of the sport and league who give a damn. A different era no doubt, but Vince Lombardi would laugh at those who felt that they had to cheat to win. He himself would say, ā€œhere is our playbook, we will still beat you based on our executionā€œ. Tony Dungy learned from Chuck about having pride in teaching players how to execute successfully. Who did Chuck learn from? Paul Brown, one of the zeniths of the game itself. Tom Landry? Dick Vermeil? Those were ambassadors of the game.

There is some truth to this, definitely. However, there are still ambassadors of the sport and league who give a damn. A different era no doubt, but Vince Lombardi would laugh at those who felt that they had to cheat to win. He himself would say, ā€œhere is our playbook, we will still beat you based on our executionā€œ. Tony Dungy learned from Chuck about having pride in teaching players how to execute successfully. Who did Chuck learn from? Paul Brown, one of the zeniths of the game itself. Tom Landry? Dick Vermeil? Those were ambassadors of the game.
It all comes down to money. The bigger something becomes the more tactics are used to keep it raking in the cash.

Different times for sure

It all comes down to money. The bigger something becomes the more tactics are used to keep it raking in the cash.

Different times for sure
Yeah to an extent though MTC. There is revenue sharing so the money is balanced out (except by what franchises take in thatā€™s not game related). Egos is the driving force. Primarily Coaches and Owners. Jones and Snyder obviously the owners with issues. As for coaches, Belichickā€™s $500k has been a deterrence for most coaches who think trying to bend beyond the spirit of the rules. Plus some of the younger coaches have used Belichickā€™s own BS gamesmanship knocks against him (Vrabel for one).

Yeah to an extent though MTC. There is revenue sharing so the money is balanced out (except by what franchises take in thatā€™s not game related). Egos is the driving force. Primarily Coaches and Owners. Jones and Snyder obviously the owners with issues. As for coaches, Belichickā€™s $500k has been a deterrence for most coaches who think trying to bend beyond the spirit of the rules. Plus some of the younger coaches have used Belichickā€™s own BS gamesmanship knocks against him (Vrabel for one).
I think itā€™s practiced even by the ones we think are pure for the sport. The nfl is a powerful corporation now than what it was in 50ā€™s, 60ā€™s, 70ā€™s etc.

And that said I am not bothered. I wonā€™t hold a franchise over the fire going with the win at all cost mentality. The patriots got caught and have to deal with whatever consequences come down the line. I think the patriots will be a mediocre team now as the league and sideline communications have become advanced

I think itā€™s practiced even by the ones we think are pure for the sport. The nfl is a powerful corporation now than what it was in 50ā€™s, 60ā€™s, 70ā€™s etc.

And that said I am not bothered. I wonā€™t hold a franchise over the fire going with the win at all cost mentality. The patriots got caught and have to deal with whatever consequences come down the line. I think the patriots will be a mediocre team now as the league and sideline communications have become advanced
And one photographic memory has retired. That was one weapon that was at their disposal yearly. Now he is gone and I enjoy their mediocrity when it matters the most. No sports should have room for hardcore cheaters. Baseball is nasty with their reaction to it. Some of how it should be. Not that they are perfect in their approach. Cheats master thief lost his safe cracker.

And yes ohhhhh ho ho..

I like it.

(Chasing a movie reference here)

And one photographic memory has retired. That was one weapon that was at their disposal yearly. Now he is gone and I enjoy their mediocrity when it matters the most. No sports should have room for hardcore cheaters. Baseball is nasty with their reaction to it. Some of how it should be. Not that they are perfect in their approach. Cheats master thief lost his safe cracker.

And yes ohhhhh ho ho..

I like it.

(Chasing a movie reference here)
Yepā€¦you know Ernie said when he retired and left pointing at Billā€¦ā€Iā€™m not a freak. Heā€™s the freak,ā€¦ā€¦Iā€™m a Gā€™damn good looking man!!

There is a difference between a misdemeanor offense and a felonyā€¦

Gamesmanship was BB ( or tomlin) playing head games with injury reports, or a wr faking a catch that hit the ground hoping to trick the refsā€¦ sure basically itā€™s lying and morally its wrongā€¦ but its minute and not really punishableā€¦ or the olinemen and dbs holding every play knowing the human nature of the refs would allow muchbof it to go byeā€¦. That all falls under the gamesmanship label

Stealing playbooks, stealing plays, taping practices, bugging locker rooms, intercepting private communications, rigging some of your guys with radios that were against the ruleā€¦ thats just blatent cheatingā€¦ some of it potentially falls into corporate espionage levels that are actually real crimesā€¦ that **** was over the lineā€¦

There is a difference between a misdemeanor offense and a felonyā€¦

Gamesmanship was BB ( or tomlin) playing head games with injury reports, or a wr faking a catch that hit the ground hoping to trick the refsā€¦ sure basically itā€™s lying and morally its wrongā€¦ but its minute and not really punishableā€¦ or the olinemen and dbs holding every play knowing the human nature of the refs would allow muchbof it to go byeā€¦. That all falls under the gamesmanship label

Stealing playbooks, stealing plays, taping practices, bugging locker rooms, intercepting private communications, rigging some of your guys with radios that were against the ruleā€¦ thats just blatent cheatingā€¦ some of it potentially falls into corporate espionage levels that are actually real crimesā€¦ that **** was over the lineā€¦
Eh let the teams do whatever. Itā€™s just a kids game.

But it really isn'tā€¦ its a multi billion dollar industry with another multi billion dollar industry in sports gambling tied to itā€¦
Yeah some irony with gambling being thrust into the picture now. NFL has those pockets spread open and it isn't going to fill itself.

But it really isntā€¦ its a multi billion dollar industry with another multibillion dollar industry in sports gambling tied to itā€¦
So if itā€™s corporate espionage and a real crime; whereā€™s the punishment? They were caught werenā€™t they?

Iā€™ll agree with you. Itā€™s a big corporation much like any big corporation they have their shady practices. Aside from that it serves no real value other than entertainment

So if itā€™s corporate espionage and a real crime; whereā€™s the punishment? They were caught werenā€™t they?

Iā€™ll agree with you. Itā€™s a big corporation much like any big corporation they have their shady practices. Aside from that it serves no real value other than entertainment
And magically the tapes were burned and tge audio equipment disappearedā€¦ plus the nfl pushed hard to get congress to back off their investigationā€¦