• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report: Steelers Set To Meet With Big Name Quarterback Russell Wilson

I wouldn’t call adding cancer to your locker room a benefit

This team has enough issues without Cancerous Russ

Why are people so infatuated with bringing in another problem player who is far past his prime? Is it the memory of what he once was? Teams can’t wait to move away from him…they’ll pay boat loads just for him to leave. I just don’t get the rationale of why you would want him for a team you root for.

I’d say he’s a poor locker room guy but the dude is such a douche he requires an office, on his own floor far away from his teammates (not joking about this-facts from his past)

Just can’t wrap my mind around what benefits he’d bring unless we’re shooting for complete destruction of this team in the hopes of finally getting rid of Mike…maybe it takes Cancerous Russ to finally kill Mike???

It’s the only sensible explanation I can find

Last edited:
Can someone confirm that the Donkeys are on the hook for the first $30M this season?

If so, he will sign for vet min this season, but will want a $$$$ contingency for years 2/3/4.

That should be workable, similar to MT above.

Regardless, it seems that Wilson needs a landing spot for 2024 in order to make $$$ in 2025.....so it seems like some team gets the benefit of Elway's dumbassery.
It can be confirmed that Russell Wilson has absolutely no money issues,

This team can’t even win a playoff game with Tomlin in over half a decade. Russel Wilson isn’t going to magically fix that.

But it sure would be fun to watch instead of watching pouty face Pickett attempt to look like an NFL QB.

At least we could see Ciarra once in a while at games.

Can someone confirm that the Donkeys are on the hook for the first $30M this season?

If so, he will sign for vet min this season, but will want a $$$$ contingency for years 2/3/4.

That should be workable, similar to MT above.

Regardless, it seems that Wilson needs a landing spot for 2024 in order to make $$$ in 2025.....so it seems like some team gets the benefit of Elway's dumbassery.

From what I see in multiple places:

Russ is guaranteed 39M this year no matter what a new team pays as DEN pays the balance. If a team signs Russ for 10M this year then DEN pays the remainder which is 29M. There is no reason for any team to offer more than vet minimum this year unless for some strange reason they think Russ should get more than 39M (in which case the new team pays it all).
As you point out, the real question is going to be what Russ wants beyond 2024 in number of years and guarantees. Will teams give him a deal or will this be a one year prove it? I doubt the market is going to give him more than a prove it deal, but the player is likely to want more of a commit. I think the teams hold the leverage right now.

The only way DEN gets out of the balance of 39M is if Russ retires (and he isn't going to do that). Either way, DEN still has 85M in dead cap money on the books spread over the next 2 years.

Wilson in 2023: 15 games played in. 3070 yards passing, 26 TDs, 8 INTs.
Pickett in 2023: 12 games played in. 2070 yards passing, 6 TDs, 4 INTS.

Surprised to see Wilson's 2023 season was not the absolute dogshit season of a broken down, has been that so many are claiming he is. I don't think that if Kenny had played in 3 more games, he would have produced the 1,000 yards, 20 TDs or 4 INTs he would have needed to at least equal Wilson's production. Lots of folks talking about what's "fair" to Kenny. Why? What exactly is owed to KP8? An unquestioned status as the starter? With no real competition for the job? When did he earn that?
I'm not saying Wilson is the answer, but, if he isn't and Kenny can't beat him out, what does that say about Kenny?

Also, I'm not upset about Khan kicking the tires on any available QB that he thinks might be an upgrade. That's his job. I just want competent QB play. Wherever it comes from. If that's Kenny, and he starts because he was spoon fed the job, fine. If that's Kenny, and he starts because he beat out legitimate competition, fine. If another QB is brought in/brought back and they beat Kenny out, fine. Just give me competent play from the most important position on the team.

Rumors out there of trading Dionte to the Bills for a 3rd rd. pick.
The Bills do not have a third round pick, if true they're talking a compensatory pick. Bills are projected to receive one which should be announced in the next day or two. You're looking at pick 99 or 100 probably.

Wilson in 2023: 15 games played in. 3070 yards passing, 26 TDs, 8 INTs.
Pickett in 2023: 12 games played in. 2070 yards passing, 6 TDs, 4 INTS.

Surprised to see Wilson's 2023 season was not the absolute dogshit season of a broken down, has been that so many are claiming he is. I don't think that if Kenny had played in 3 more games, he would have produced the 1,000 yards, 20 TDs or 4 INTs he would have needed to at least equal Wilson's production. Lots of folks talking about what's "fair" to Kenny. Why? What exactly is owed to KP8? An unquestioned status as the starter? With no real competition for the job? When did he earn that?
I'm not saying Wilson is the answer, but, if he isn't and Kenny can't beat him out, what does that say about Kenny?

Also, I'm not upset about Khan kicking the tires on any available QB that he thinks might be an upgrade. That's his job. I just want competent QB play. Wherever it comes from. If that's Kenny, and he starts because he was spoon fed the job, fine. If that's Kenny, and he starts because he beat out legitimate competition, fine. If another QB is brought in/brought back and they beat Kenny out, fine. Just give me competent play from the most important position on the team.
Right, Russell’s benching had nothing to do with his play. He got benched after putting up a 108 passer rating.

You’re also right that the Steelers don’t owe any player anything other than their contractual pay.

Oh, come on now. You cannot objectively argue that Russell isn’t an upgrade over Pickett. His QBR was 17 points higher than Pickett’s and he had a 90+ QBR in 11/15 games, Pickett was 3/12.
Absolutely it can be argued. He didn't have Canada he had one of the best minds in the league. Supposedly.

If we are really looking to trade DJ i would call KC. They won the SB with basically no WRs. I'm not sure what KCs cap situation is, but i would think they would be looking hard at WR early in the draft.
I don't know what Wilson's problems are, but Denver gave up alot for him and are willing to take a HUGE salary penalty to just flat out cut him w/o even having much behind him. Should be a big red flag. Id say he is worth a shot very cheap on a 1 yr deal, but i would not sign him long term.

Rumors out there of trading Dionte to the Bills for a 3rd rd. pick.
Rumors are everywhere. The Steelers got pick 32 for Claypuff, I would hope DJ would bring something closer to that than pick 100, even if he is in the last year of his contract.

The Bills do not have a third round pick, if true they're talking a compensatory pick. Bills are projected to receive one which should be announced in the next day or two. You're looking at pick 99 or 100 probably.
Yeah I don't really like that particular trade. If they are set on Pickett, they need to get his favorite target Addison from Minnesota. Offer them Diotae and a 5th rd. pick or whatever. The kid had a great year last year. I also would rather get him out of the AFC if we are going to trade him.

All I know os the past few years have been a mess. It's a meritocracy. Bring them in, interview them, work them out. Let them compete in training camp. I hope KP is best QB and wins the position. But it has to be the best QB

If that's Russell Wilson so be it. His numbers look good but numbers never tell the whole story and Lord knows I don't watch donkeys games

Why? We only need one vet and then draft an option as well.

IMO, Kenny could be back at QB3 when it's all said and done...
If he plays anywhere NEAR like he has the last 2 years, or even better, he definitely deserves to be 3rd string. If by some act of God, he's improved by leaps and bounds and ends up being a top 20 QB, then great. But he has some ground to cover before he gets there. You don't set the record for lowest % of TD passes of ALL QBs who have 500 attempts in the history of the NFL because you're a good QB.:ROFLMAO:

If he plays anywhere NEAR like he has the last 2 years, or even better, he definitely deserves to be 3rd string. If by some act of God, he's improved by leaps and bounds and ends up being a top 20 QB, then great. But he has some ground to cover before he gets there. You don't set the record for lowest % of TD passes of ALL QBs who have 500 attempts in the history of the NFL because you're a good QB.:ROFLMAO:
Amen.

I wouldn’t call adding cancer to your locker room a benefit.
I would normally agree with you on that, because it normally costs you a chunk of change. This is a one time free pass option.
This team has enough issues without Cancerous Russ.
True, but QB is kind of one of those issues too, and free makes things more palatable.
Why are people so infatuated with bringing in another problem player who is far past his prime? Is it the memory of what he once was? Teams can’t wait to move away from him…they’ll pay boat loads just for him to leave. I just don’t get the rationale of why you would want him for a team you root for.
Because just maybe it leads to solving a much bigger problem, getting rid of Mediocre Mike.
I’d say he’s a poor locker room guy but the dude is such a douche he requires an office, on his own floor far away from his teammates (not joking about this-facts from his past).
I could be wrong, but I wonder if it isn’t a way to get away from all the “noise” in the building, and make it easier to concentrate.
Just can’t wrap my mind around what benefits he’d bring unless we’re shooting for complete destruction of this team in the hopes of finally getting rid of Mike…maybe it takes Cancerous Russ to finally kill Mike???
That would be my greatest hope, and who knows, maybe they win. Though, maybe that doesn’t actually help in the scheme of things 🤔🤔😩😩. But, maybe they win the Super Bowl, and Mediocre Mike retires on top 😍😍😍.
It’s the only sensible explanation I can find.
Ideas with bad motives are not always wrong in the long run.

I didn’t think you could trade comp picks

If we are really looking to trade DJ i would call KC. They won the SB with basically no WRs. I'm not sure what KCs cap situation is, but i would think they would be looking hard at WR early in the draft.
I don't know what Wilson's problems are, but Denver gave up alot for him and are willing to take a HUGE salary penalty to just flat out cut him w/o even having much behind him. Should be a big red flag. Id say he is worth a shot very cheap on a 1 yr deal, but i would not sign him long term.
Sign him long term for whatever he wants, but it can’t impact releasing him before year 2 if they want to.

3 year 100mil contract (just for example)

Year one - 1.21 mil (vet min)
Year two - 15 mil roster bonus w/ 15 mil salary
Year three - 30 mil roster bonus w/ 30 mil salary.

Cut after year one = no future cap hit
Cut after year two = Cap hit of 22.5 mil for 2025, and dead money of 7.5 mil in 2026 or 3.75 mil for 26 AND 27
Plays out year three = Cap hit 67.5 mil no dead money hit going forward (obviously this would not happen)

If that's Russell Wilson so be it. His numbers look good but numbers never tell the whole story and Lord knows I don't watch donkeys games
My Brother-in-law is a life long fan, and was pissed that they did this.

Last edited: