• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Reported: Russell Wilson to Start Against the Jets

So here is my Take on Wilson after the game

Wilson just fits what this offense ought to be right now. This is not a knock on justin fields.

Fields is still adjusting to life outside what Chicago wanted him to be .. AKA lamar jr

There is a reason we mock the two time MVP jackson... that run first style can generate offense, but it doesnt open up the entire O like an effective passer can..

Yeah Fields kegs can break down Ds... but it doesnt back off safeties or anything, and it limits his growth as a passer.

Wilson is a vet. He reads Ds faster. He understands how to shift protections and what hot reads to take

He uses every receiving option, not just one or two... but there are two things he really does better than fields

A.) he has that nice rainbow drop on his deep balls, and he isnt afraid to throw them at coverage because they are hard to defend and really hard to pick off

B.) he operates under center WAY better than fields.. fields prefers shotgun snaps..
He isnt great from the shotgun, but its easier to read from and run from

This O is built like cowhers... for play action from under center... Russ did it more than anyone since arians took over, I think...

You're right, clown. Starting NFL quarterbacks don't need to have confidence. Being mentally strong is overrated. Great point.

I pointed out his passer rating in response to someone who said that Fields has been "terrible" as a passer. It's simply not true. And the rest of what you wrote here is unintelligible. Not surprising.

It's relevant because Wilson is going to be pressured a great deal behind a porous offensive line, he is not going to be anywhere near as mobile as Fields was back there, and returning after a calf injury is not going to help. Do I need to type slower for you?

You can't understand that starting, playing well, and winning with the Steelers hasn't helped build his confidence? After all the negative publicity he's endured with the Bears? Can't grasp that simple concept?

Again, I had responded to another poster who said that every other team who played the Cowboys "gashed" their defense. Try to follow along. I know it must be difficult for you.

Your summary indicates some difficulty with reading comprehension. I've explained at length why referring to my entire post as "9 cubic yards of nonsense" was stupid. Nothing has changed.
Hey sleeping beauty, how's your confidence today

Last edited:
So here is my Take on Wilson after the game

Wilson just fits what this offense ought to be right now. This is not a knock on justin fields.

Fields is still adjusting to life outside what Chicago wanted him to be .. AKA lamar jr

There is a reason we mock the two time MVP jackson... that run first style can generate offense, but it doesnt open up the entire O like an effective passer can..

Yeah Fields kegs can break down Ds... but it doesnt back off safeties or anything, and it limits his growth as a passer.

Wilson is a vet. He reads Ds faster. He understands how to shift protections and what hot reads to take

He uses every receiving option, not just one or two... but there are two things he really does better than fields

A.) he has that nice rainbow drop on his deep balls, and he isnt afraid to throw them at coverage because they are hard to defend and really hard to pick off

B.) he operates under center WAY better than fields.. fields prefers shotgun snaps..
He isnt great from the shotgun, but its easier to read from and run from

This O is built like cowhers... for play action from under center... Russ did it more than anyone since arians took over, I think...
"Fields is still adjusting to life outside what Chicago wanted him to be .. AKA lamar jr"

I'd enjoy seeing you tie yourself in knots again trying to explain what the fk this means.. are you saying Fields is a future league MVP?

Explain yourself

"Fields is still adjusting to life outside what Chicago wanted him to be .. AKA lamar jr"

I'd enjoy seeing you tie yourself in knots again trying to explain what the fk this means.. are you saying Fields is a future league MVP?

Explain yourself
He explained it right below your quote.

Did you not read and comprehend the entirety of his post?

Explain yourself

Well, I have to admit, I thought this might backfire this week, but I have to.......Oh my this is tough.....Ahhhhh.....Hang on, let me collect myself........Deep breath.....

Give props to Mikey T.

It was only a half of football but that looked better than any half this year. Or even last year I think.

Keep it going!

Props to the entire team, even the LSer.

Keep in mind that the Jets were down injuries, but also don’t loose sight that we gave them the beat down.

Salute the nation

On top of Wilson stepping in rusty, he also had to deal with a very impatient crowd booing him and chanting Fields' name very early in the game. Wilson kept his cool and produced. We will see what he can sustain on a weekly basis, but that was a good start.

On top of Wilson stepping in rusty, he also had to deal with a very impatient crowd booing him and chanting Fields' name very early in the game. Wilson kept his cool and produced. We will see what he can sustain on a weekly basis, but that was a good start.
Which is crazy
It seemed 65-35 in favor of Russ at the beginning of season
Fields fills in admirably as the backup and it flipped to majority favoring him and quickly turning on Russ like he was gonna come in after almost a year off with zero rust

Russ is no Ben by any means, but I can’t count how many games bad inaccurate Ben appeared to start the first quarter or even first half of games.

What a fickle bunch

In one of Russ; post interviews, he was asked about the boo-birds, his answer was extremely good. He said he is neutral, his best & worst are not who he is, he is down home based and sincere. I liked his answer.

Salute the nation

Yup, it was embarrassing. That's Browns/Bengals/Raiders type fandom.

I was preaching on this board for Russ coming in as soon as he was ready early on. I was asked what kind of glue I was sniffing.Fields production was not going to get it done against the better teams. We can't depend on clinging on and hoping the D will win the game. We are going nowhere with Fields in the state of experience he's in now.

I watched video of Wilson last year, I went on Broncos Message boards and many on there agreed he was screwed by the coaching and they were making a mistake trading him. I also read Denver sports media articles. I knew we were getting a steal. The point is not to brag, but so young fans understand to not believe the national sports media talking heads. Most of them don't do enough research and operate with the "fling **** on the wall and see what sticks" philosophy. I knew he wasn't washed from what i was seeing and reading, it was B.S.

That rating is based on passes thrown. When he does throw the ball, his stats look great. The problem is the throws he doesn't make. There are way too many missed opportunities. Kind of like Pickett except Fields can take off running to move the chains.
It sure is. Kind of hard to base it on passes that aren't thrown, but should have been in your mind.

You can’t bench what was never named the starter. His last two games Fields accuracy left a lot to be desired. I look at is his performance good enough if they would encounter the playoffs
As you add his passing TDs into the equation and there is some concerns there.

Wilson was signed to be the starter so I feel you have to at least look at him and see what he can do. If he isn’t up to the task you can easily go back to Fields.
Fields was indeed the starter for six weeks. Wilson was active against the Raiders, as the #2 QB, yet he didn't start that game, did he?
O-line for sure has had its share of concerns but I think that great depth they had initially has helped the unit not be horrible. We can talk about Russ’ age but the guy was mobile enough last season he wasn’t a Manning, Brady end of career statue in there.

As far as Fields confidence I am sure he knows he has improved from his Chicago ways. He also himself acknowledged that if his play was better there would be no who is the starter debates. So the vibe I get from him is he will just keep grinding trying to improve. A little controversy sometimes can be a plus not always a detriment. Perhaps he focuses in and continues to improve. If he is that fragile to have that drink shaken he isn’t the man for the job.
Russ runs like my grandmother. Hope you're right about Justin's confidence going forward. Looks like he'll be thinking about it for a while.

We obviously have different opinions on what is “Well”. In MY OPINION, he has played somewhat less than “Well” for a STARTING QB in the NFL. I said the same about Lamar Jackson the first few years. I don’t happen to think a RB playing QB is what this team needs to be successful. The 5 rushing TD’s are nice, but the actual QB play is lacking. Sure he also seems to be playing the hand he is dealt, and just maybe with a different O philosophy, we would see different results. At this point he is just slightly better than KP was.
Yes, we do. And we obviously have different opinions on what "just slightly better than KP" looks like, as well. I had no hope for anything with Pickett starting last year. Much different feeling when Fields was quarterbacking the Steelers this season.

You sit behind that keyboard not knowing what a complete idiot you are, your lack of language skills, inability to reason, cognitive biases, name calling as a poor substitute for substantive arguments... It's comedy

You are the dumbest person here. Congratulations for putting all of this in writing.

And I'm still waiting for you to quantify this myth of confidence. Stop projecting your shortcomings onto a professional athlete.
Lack of language skills? Projecting my shortcomings onto a professional athlete? The less you say, the more intelligent you sound.

It's adorable how you accuse me of "name calling," all while referring to me as a complete idiot and the dumbest person here. I don't need to stoop to your level with ridiculous hyperbole, I'll just call it like I see it, again: You're a clown. It's more than just a name, it's your identity.

Fields was indeed the starter for six weeks. Wilson was active against the Raiders, as the #2 QB, yet he didn't start that game, did he?

Russ runs like my grandmother. Hope you're right about Justin's confidence going forward. Looks like he'll be thinking about it for a while.
Wilson was rusty and they wanted to give him an extra week with full practice. Sure Fields started but was never named the starter. There also was no need to rush Wilson back as they didn’t want the injury revisiting. Just was being over cautious and somewhat living in their fears which they tend to do.

Fields also didn’t have a great game as far as accuracy (his last game playing) which helped their decision making process.

So sure the option of him becoming the starter was on the table he just didn’t play well enough to change their original decide.

Last edited:
Yes, we do. And we obviously have different opinions on what "just slightly better than KP" looks like, as well. I had no hope for anything with Pickett starting last year. Much different feeling when Fields was quarterbacking the Steelers this season.
After watching Pickett being hamstrung by the O philosophy that EVERY OC is being forced to run, I believe that he did about 50% as well as he could have. Fields, under the same conditions did about 60% as well as he could have. The real difference I saw was that Fields has more of a threat to run, and was forced to do that. I do get the feeling that Fields has been found out and will see many more 8 men in the box looks, than someone who is a legitimate threat in the passing game. I really didn’t see anything to make me think that Fields could be the answer going forward as the Franchise QB. I still think they are going to be looking for a QB next FA period, as well as in the Draft. The ONLY way I would change that is if Wilson could get them a couple playoff game wins, then I would only be drafting a QB for use in 2-3 years.

What was apparent right away. Russ was calling audibles often. Talking to guys, moving guys around. It looked like a well run offense. I think Russ is a better motivator in the huddle and off the field. Ben always talked to his guys game wise and get them fired up. Justin appears to be the quite type. Call the play and hope for the best. I think Justin isn't good at reading defenses at this stage. Your not going to get far without a good passing attack. Running only gets you so far.

Last edited:
Yup, it was embarrassing. That's Browns/Bengals/Raiders type fandom.

I was preaching on this board for Russ coming in as soon as he was ready early on. I was asked what kind of glue I was sniffing.Fields production was not going to get it done against the better teams. We can't depend on clinging on and hoping the D will win the game. We are going nowhere with Fields in the state of experience he's in now.

I watched video of Wilson last year, I went on Broncos Message boards and many on there agreed he was screwed by the coaching and they were making a mistake trading him. I also read Denver sports media articles. I knew we were getting a steal. The point is not to brag, but so young fans understand to not believe the national sports media talking heads. Most of them don't do enough research and operate with the "fling **** on the wall and see what sticks" philosophy. I knew he wasn't washed from what i was seeing and reading, it was B.S.

pat-on-the-back-498-x-273-gif-nd6kbozj7szemh1l.webp

Lack of language skills? Projecting my shortcomings onto a professional athlete? The less you say, the more intelligent you sound.

It's adorable how you accuse me of "name calling," all while referring to me as a complete idiot and the dumbest person here. I don't need to stoop to your level with ridiculous hyperbole, I'll just call it like I see it, again: You're a clown. It's more than just a name, it's your identity.
How's it going sir. How's the confidence today