• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Reported: Russell Wilson to Start Against the Jets

At this point I would give Fields until the bye week. Both winnable home games and if he doesn't play well, win or lose, go all-in on Russ during the bye giving the entire offense extra time to prepare with a new QB. I know other teams can just plug in a scrub off the street and get a brilliant performance for at least one week, but not the Steelers. Well, outside of Rudolph at the end of last season. I just somehow believe if Russ plays this week they'll be in full turtle mode.
I prefer the approach the press conference outlined. Give both reps and look at them and based on that make a decision. Thing is the Jets are capable and aren’t a pushover. I would start whoever is showing drive completions in practice. Make the wrong decision and that could lean toward a loss in a pivotal matchup. If it wasn’t an AFC implications game perhaps I would be more willing to stick with Fields. But if RW outshines him this week I have to go with RW..

100%. I'm sure part of Tomlin's thinking was a) that we would have lost Sunday to just about anybody but the Raiders and b) everybody has gashed the Cowboy defense but us. Field has been terrible other than running.
a) The Steelers didn't just squeak by the Raiders. They beat them by 19 points on the road, and had a first down on the Vegas 24 before lining up in the victory formation. Speculating the they "would have lost Sunday to just about anybody but the Raiders" is presumptive and basically of little worth.

b) No, not "everybody but us" has gashed the Cowboys defense. Cleveland and the Giants scored 17 and 15 points, respectively, against Dallas. Detroit destroyed them by being able to run the ball effectively to set up big plays in the passing game.

And, no, "Field" has not been terrible other than running. That's just an outright lie. Fields has compiled a 93.9 passer rating with the Steelers, by far the best of his career, and good for 15th in the NFL this year, just ahead of Jordan Love.

Just when I went ahead and gave Tomlin props for doing the right thing by sticking with Fields, he reverts back to disappointing me -- like he's been doing for the last 15 years and running.

Yeah, let's see how a nearly 36-year old Russ coming off a calf injury performs behind a patchwork offensive line with a shitload of injuries and guys playing out of position. After he looked like a complete statue back there in his extremely limited number of preseason reps. Let's pull the plug on any advancement and conviction Fields may have developed while starting 4-2 and making all kinds of productive plays on the ground for the Steelers.

Let's bench his @ss, shatter his confidence, and hand the reins over to an aged, immobile one-year rental...then hope and pray that he can lead this Steelers team with Van Jefferson as WR2 to the promised land here in 2024 (you know, 'cause he'll get the ball out quicker) -- all in the name of having some burning need to "see what Russ can do." Sounds like a plan. Can't wait!

Your sense of humor is off the charts. My post was in response to you and our conversation last Sunday. Lighten up dude. And as I said last Sunday….a little fresh air might do you some good.
What? Seriously dude. Lay off the mushrooms. Nothing wrong with moderation.

Funny that we got a whiff of stench as soon as you showed up.
So if true, do you support Tomlins decision to start Russ or not?

Everyone gave their opinion and reasoning except you.

What you will do is wait until the game is decided. You will commence bashing Tomlin on the move if Russ falters.
If Russ looks sharp and leads us to victory you will bash Tomlin for not starting him sooner.
Russ’ reportedly was good to go a couple of weeks ago.
Did you sneak into his hotel room and steal his playbook
Very Belichikean move on your part

Knowing the plays before they’re called

As much as I see this as the right timing for this move, should Russ come out and look like an old man that would get his whooped by a blocking sled and be less effective than Fields another move should be made…definitely not going as far to say it’s all Russ from here.

But I also do question how long OlderRuss will last behind this OL.

That being said giving him a shot is the right move as JF seems to have taken a couple steps back the last couple weeks.

Just gotta know who the right guy is

As someone who does not see Fields as a long-term solution, I think they need to go with the QB that gives them the best chance to win this year.

The likes of Heyward and Watt are not getting any younger, and if Russell Wilson can potentially give them another TD or two a game to work with, it is something that needs tried.

I tend to doubt the offense will be called the same way with Wilson as it was with Fields. He obviously won't be as mobile as Fields, but will hopefully be mobile enough given time for the injury to heal and will have better command of things than Fields has.

Wilson remained a pretty effective deep ball thrower with the Broncos. I'd be curious to see if he could utilize Pickens and Austin more than Fields has to this point.