• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Republicans push for internet sales tax

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
The internet used to be the last true bastion of freedom left. Now with google, facebook and twitter censoring conservatives (mostly), Republicans figure they will just go and hammer it into a bag of smashed ******** by adding a sales tax. **** the 50 or so Republicans pushing for this. I hope they never serve another day in congress.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-gops-internet-tax-1521153858

Too many odd bills being imposed now.

:/

Trump will veto that bullshit. **** the GOPe / libtard lite.

This is correct. A 25 cent increase on the 18 cents/gallon we already pay.

Redikerous. If Exxon announced they were raising their prices so that their profit goes up by 25 cents per gallon every ************ in DC would be dashing to get in front of a camera.

This is correct. A 25 cent increase on the 18 cents/gallon we already pay.

Dude, 18 cents??? ******* Californians pay 42 cents per gallon, plus the Federal 18 cents per gallon, for a total of 60 cents per gallon.

So in my state, the biggest profit (in order) is made by:

1. The State of California
2. The Federal government
3. The company that actually produced the gasoline

Last edited:
This is all goes back to what we want as "tax reform".

I've said numerous times that we have more of a "flat tax" than people realize. All of FICA, which is about HALF of what comes out of most people's paychecks is completely a flat tax. Only taxed on the first $120,000 we all make. After that, nothing.

And then we get into "usage" taxes which is sales tax and sin taxes. Again, mostly effecting the middle class more than any other segment (as a percentage of their income).

So I don't quite understand the mindset here and from many conservatives that we are not "flat taxed" enough. That's bullshit. I'm a conservative and I actually think we are flat taxed TOO MUCH. I hate sin taxes. I hate FICA and the way we tax companies by "matching" FICA, instead of the taxing their profits.

It's all a shell game. I wish you guys would see that. We steal from Peter to pay Paul. Round and round we go.

We all need to really decide what we WANT and how that all works, because I hate our tax system. I think the rich should actually pay a bit more. I think states should tax MORE and the federal government LESS. I would like to see a very realistic sliding scale of taxes where we tax appropriately from $50k to $100k to $200k to 500k to $1 million and above. And we really need to look at how each group is getting taxed in TOTALITY from state, local, sales, usage, FICA, et. al. and say to ourselves, "Is this correct?", because I'm not convinced it is.

I think there should be sales tax on internet sales. Why shouldn't there be? A brick and mortar store has to charge tax and they contribute more to a community than Amazon does.

Really, what they should do is every state should actually CUT the sales tax. In PA, it's 6%. If they are now going to get a cut of taxes on internet sales than that's a lot more revenue. Maybe drop the rate to 4% for all sales. Or do 4% in store and 6% online to try to give stores a boost.

I just laugh at the stupidity of those who buy online, they are increasing the tax on themselves with every purchase.

Dude, 18 cents??? ******* Californians pay 42 cents per gallon, plus the Federal 18 cents per gallon, for a total of 60 cents per gallon.

So in my state, the biggest profit (in order) is made by:

1. The State of California
2. The Federal government
3. The company that actually produced the gasoline

I was referring to federal sales tax only. I live in New York, so I feel your pain as far as state taxes, we pay 48 cents a gallon here. Be happy you don't live in PA. Highest state gas taxes in the nation at 55 cents per gallon.

Last edited:
I was referring to federal sales tax only. I live in New York, so I feel your pain as far as state taxes, we pay 48 cents a gallon here. Be happy you don't live in PA. Highest state gas taxes in the nation at 55 cents per gallon.

I live near the Ohio border so the wife and I regularly go there to buy gas. It's 45 to 50 cents cheaper a gallon, then we'll have maybe 50 cents in Get Go Fuelperks so we'll save $1 a gallon. I hardly ever buy gas in PA.

I think there should be sales tax on internet sales. Why shouldn't there be? A brick and mortar store has to charge tax and they contribute more to a community than Amazon does.

Really, what they should do is every state should actually CUT the sales tax. In PA, it's 6%. If they are now going to get a cut of taxes on internet sales than that's a lot more revenue. Maybe drop the rate to 4% for all sales. Or do 4% in store and 6% online to try to give stores a boost.

I think it should be up to the states. They have always regulated sales taxes.

I'm torn on this issue as no sales tax on things bought online gives online retailers a significant advantage over local retailers and the playing field should be level.
I'm not torn at all. If this is driving companies out of your state, the fix isn't to tax everyone else equally. The fix is to remove the state tax.

I'm not torn at all. If this is driving companies out of your state, the fix isn't to tax everyone else equally. The fix is to remove the state tax.

Sales fax is about the fairest tax there is. A good deal of it, in my experience, goes to school, firefighters and police. Similat to property tax. You pay only what you are willing to buy and you are paying an amount directly in proportion of what you are protecting. I prefer local over state, of course.

Every person pays the same %.

This is all goes back to what we want as "tax reform".

I've said numerous times that we have more of a "flat tax" than people realize. All of FICA, which is about HALF of what comes out of most people's paychecks is completely a flat tax. Only taxed on the first $120,000 we all make. After that, nothing.

And then we get into "usage" taxes which is sales tax and sin taxes. Again, mostly effecting the middle class more than any other segment (as a percentage of their income).

So I don't quite understand the mindset here and from many conservatives that we are not "flat taxed" enough. That's bullshit. I'm a conservative and I actually think we are flat taxed TOO MUCH. I hate sin taxes. I hate FICA and the way we tax companies by "matching" FICA, instead of the taxing their profits.

It's all a shell game. I wish you guys would see that. We steal from Peter to pay Paul. Round and round we go.

We all need to really decide what we WANT and how that all works, because I hate our tax system. I think the rich should actually pay a bit more. I think states should tax MORE and the federal government LESS. I would like to see a very realistic sliding scale of taxes where we tax appropriately from $50k to $100k to $200k to 500k to $1 million and above. And we really need to look at how each group is getting taxed in TOTALITY from state, local, sales, usage, FICA, et. al. and say to ourselves, "Is this correct?", because I'm not convinced it is.

Medicare payroll tax does not stop at 120k. And there is some kind of surcharge, i think, on pay over a certain amount.

I work on some executive retirement plans and those guys pay a ton of taxes.

What the **** is going on with all the tax lovers here?

I'm not crazy about taxes but as a former small business owner who had to charge and pay sales tax I do believe that online sellers have an unfair advantage. I do not however believe that a lot of people buy online to avoid sales taxes, it's more out of convenience or that you can't find what you want in a store. Like the khaki crew socks from Dockers that I used to buy at Kohl's or J.C. Penney's for years and now they don't have them any more but Amazon does.

The correct tax reform is to eliminate income tax for all income kept within the US and impose a moderate sales tax to fund everything... in this scenario internet purchases must be taxed... besides no tax on internet interactions is killing retail across the country... in the current format we are going to see a couple huge monopolies develop... some kind of have already....