• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rod is God

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
One of my favorite signs to see hanging in Three Rivers on game day

Rod told me the previous Sunday he’d heard on TV Buffalo quarterback Jim Kelly call an audible. The play was a three-step hitch, which meant that the receiver took three steps, turned, and the ball was right there for him. Rod said that if he heard Kelly call it during our game, he was going to jump it. I knew he could, too. He was so athletic that if he knew what was coming, he could get to the ball a step and a half before Kelly’s intended receiver could.”

“Sure enough, Kelly called that audible early in the game. Rod told Darren (Perry), ‘I’m jumping it.’”

“When Kelly threw that 3-yard hitch, Rod was right there to step in front of it, catch it, and run 37 yards for a touchdown," Cowher said.

**** deon sanders....Rod was the best CB in that generation

I live near Baltimore. I had an event at the Stadium in 98 or 99. i was wearing a Steelers ballcap. Every Raven Player passed by my area and either ignored my hat or said something against it.

Rod came by and whispered to me "go Steelers" pretty cool

I liv

One of my favorite signs to see hanging in Three Rivers on game day

**** deon sanders....Rod was the best CB in that generation
Two completely different CB’s, both of which will always be considered to be the best. Primetime may very well be the best “shut down” corner to ever play the game, but Woodson is the best ”all around” DB to play the game, EVER.

Loved Woodson. But I take Troy at his best. He was just too damn good. One of the best three players on a team that won two SBs and and a third AFC Championship.

Two completely different CB’s, both of which will always be considered to be the best. Primetime may very well be the best “shut down” corner to ever play the game, but Woodson is the best ”all around” DB to play the game, EVER.
Sanders was a ***** against the run. I get his coverage ability he had elite speed. But if I had to pick a corner in an all time draft Sanders wouldn't get the nod over Rod.

Sanders was a ***** against the run. I get his coverage ability he had elite speed. But if I had to pick a corner in an all time draft Sanders wouldn't get the nod over Rod.

I was just about to comment on Sanders chicken-****-ed contact fear. He was near as bad as our own shaved BUSH.

ROD gets the NOD.

Salute the nation

Rod against the run!
Deion who?

Same play, different angles...
2birds1.gif

twobirds.gif

Rod Woodson won a playoff game ... by blowing up a RB, causing a fumble and recovering the fumble, leading to the OT field goal ending the game.

Steelers-Houston December 31, 1989

Rod Woodson won games by intercepting a pass, by returning a pick-six, by returning a punt for a TD, and by smashing into a RB and forcing a fumble.

Rod Woodson >>> Deon Sanders

Did you not read what I said? " Woodson is the best all-around DB to play the game, EVER."

I consider him the DB ever because of his additional tenure as a S later in his career. He was easily the 1 or 2 CB to ever play, (Blount is obviously in that discussion), but his other time puts him out of reach in any discussion. Could Primetime have moved to S later in his career? NO, he didn't tackle as a CB, no way in hell he could ever play S.

Did you not read what I said? " Woodson is the best all-around DB to play the game, EVER."

I consider him the DB ever because of his additional tenure as a S later in his career. He was easily the 1 or 2 CB to ever play, (Blount is obviously in that discussion), but his other time puts him out of reach in any discussion. Could Primetime have moved to S later in his career? NO, he didn't tackle as a CB, no way in hell he could ever play S.
I was talking in general not at you.😉

Can you imagine the all-time great Steelers defense?? I am going base 3-4 here just because of the amazing LB'ers the Steelers have had over the years.

DE Cam Heyward
NT Joe Greene
DE Aaron Smith
LOLB TJ Watt
ILB (Buck) Jack Lambert
ILB (Mack) Jack Ham
ROLB Kevin Greene
CB Mel Blount
SS Troy Polamalu
FS Minkah Fitzpatrick
CB Rod Woodson

Yeah, Troy played a lot of FS but I suspect he can make it work at SS.

That defense would probably score more than they gave up.

Can you imagine the all-time great Steelers defense?? I am going base 3-4 here just because of the amazing LB'ers the Steelers have had over the years.

DE Cam Heyward
NT Joe Greene
DE Aaron Smith
LOLB TJ Watt
ILB (Buck) Jack Lambert
ILB (Mack) Jack Ham
ROLB Kevin Greene
CB Mel Blount
SS Troy Polamalu
FS Minkah Fitzpatrick
CB Rod Woodson

Yeah, Troy played a lot of FS but I suspect he can make it work at SS.

That defense would probably score more than they gave up.
You forgot devon bush

Loved Woodson. But I take Troy at his best. He was just too damn good. One of the best three players on a team that won two SBs and and a third AFC Championship.

Those two are good but I'd take Mel Blount at his best. Four time superbowl champion and a boatload of accolades.

In my opinion the best corner to ever play the game. Then Rod. They should have never left him go.

Love troy too. But woodson was better.
I'd say if I'm picking a football player. Woodson over Deon for sure. Both Troy and Woodson were surrounded by defensive greatness. Ben was the x factor in all of it. But it's hard to seperate 2.5 to 0.5 in my mind. Specifically when Woodson had nothing to do with the 0.5.

Rod Woodson won a playoff game ... by blowing up a RB, causing a fumble and recovering the fumble, leading to the OT field goal ending the game.

Steelers-Houston December 31, 1989

Rod Woodson won games by intercepting a pass, by returning a pick-six, by returning a punt for a TD, and by smashing into a RB and forcing a fumble.

Rod Woodson >>> Deon Sanders

Damn, those shoulder pads are immense. Imagine how fast Rod would have been on the field wearing today's equipment.

Those two are good but I'd take Mel Blount at his best. Four time superbowl champion and a boatload of accolades.

In my opinion the best corner to ever play the game. Then Rod. They should have never left him go.
But that was the difference between the Tomlin and Cowher era. Until the stadium was built the Steelers were run as a second rate outfit. They lost guys like Woodson and Chad Brown routinely. Now they are adding quality FA by the bundle.

same second rate outfit went to superbowl XXX in 1995. Since Ben got paid, its been sparse due to his contract.. IMO.

From the linked article:

However, on draft day, Woodson began to slide. A player that most had rated as the number four player in the draft carried some concerns that resulted in teams passing on him. One was the very real possibility that his competing in the 1988 Olympics would delay his joining a team until mid-1988. The other was a rumor of his getting into some trouble just before the draft.

Tom Donahoe per On The Clock: The Pittsburgh Steelers

“I was a college scout when he was coming out. We didn’t think we had any shot to get him because of the career that he put together. But he got into trouble right before the draft," Donahoe said. "I can’t remember exactly what it was, so we probably should’ve vetted him more than we did, but we didn’t think we could get him, and the draft started, and he started sliding. So, when we saw that his name was going to get to us, it was a no-brainer. We had got enough work on him that we were comfortable picking him, and he had an unbelievable career.”

Just imagine if they'd also "disregarded" Marino's "red flags".

Reactions: GMC
But that was the difference between the Tomlin and Cowher era. Until the stadium was built the Steelers were run as a second rate outfit. They lost guys like Woodson and Chad Brown routinely. Now they are adding quality FA by the bundle.

Maybe so, but Cowher reloaded his teams fairly fast and regularly. There was always someone (impactful) waiting for their turn.

Tomlin ERA, hasen’t seemed that way. Depth has been very questionable overall team-wise.

Salutye the nation

Reactions: GMC
Maybe so, but Cowher reloaded his teams fairly fast and regularly. There was always someone (impactful) waiting for their turn.

Tomlin ERA, hasen’t seemed that way. Depth has been very questionable overall team-wise.

Salutye the nation
Exactly. People don't seem to remember that Cowher produced the same or better with significantly less$ until 2002. The difference was Cowher committed to rebuilds and they were generally short.