• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rooney Says QB Mason Rudolph Has Enough Mobility To “Get The Job Done”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers are going into an offseason for the first time in 18 years wondering who their starting quarterback will be next season. They have not been shy about sharing the fact that they would like to have their next quarterback have enough mobility to make plays outside the pocket.

Mobility is a quality future Hall of Fame QB Ben Roethlisberger didn’t possess much of during the later years of his career, but was able to consistently make plays on the move throughout the first half of it.

Art Rooney II, the Steelers team president, said in an interview with Andrew Stockey of WTAE that he believes Mason Rudolph, the only quarterback currently on the roster, can satisfy the team’s desire to have a mobile quarterback.

“I think Mason, number one, is somebody that we feel comfortable with that is excited about coming in and competing for the position this year. He does have some mobility and has shown it from time to time. He may not fit the definition of some mobile quarterbacks out there that really rely on their legs to make a difference, but I think that he’s mobile enough to get the job done. There are different degrees of mobility and we’ll be looking at guys that have different abilities.”

I am not sure there are many members of Steeler Nation who would classify Rudolph as “mobile,” but the Steelers clearly think so. Rudolph has never been one to consistently threaten with his legs as a runner, although he did have the team’s longest rush in 2021 until late into the season.

The ability to get outside the pocket on bootlegs, step away from defensive linemen, and being able to pick up a couple yards if necessary with his legs are all qualities Rudolph displayed at times through his first four NFL seasons. That degree of mobility is what most would probably classify as the floor for what the Steelers are going to be looking for this offseason.

The team has been connected to several draft prospects this year including Kenny Pickett, Malik Willis, Sam Howell, as well as many others. All of whom have a higher degree of mobility than Rudolph at this stage in their respective careers.

Only time will tell if the organization truly believes Rudolph can be the mobile quarterback they are seeking, but they are definitely speaking as though he checks most of the boxes.

Let us know what you think about Rudolph as a potential “mobile” quarterback that could become the Steelers next franchise QB! Comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

They have not been shy about sharing the fact that they would like to have their next quarterback have enough mobility to make plays outside the pocket.

I am not sure there are many members of Steeler Nation who would classify Rudolph as “mobile,” but the Steelers clearly think so. Rudolph has never been one to consistently threaten with his legs as a runner, although he did have the team’s longest rush in 2021 until late into the season.

Describes BB perfectly.

Except there is another element involved in extending plays.
I can't see MR having the strength to beat off defenders clinging to him like Ben did. Ben was arguably the best ever at that. An attribute no one talks much about.