• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rudolph vs Pickett

I agree with you about most things, but you're just wrong about this.

Putting in MR accomplishes nothing. We know what MR is, there's no need to see what we have. Keeping KP in allows him to gain the valuable NFL starting experience he needs, so he can get better.

KP has the potential (note that) to become the leader of the franchise. MR has the potential to be a quality career backup, or to be a below-average starter for some team with no other options. The Steelers are not that team.
I never said that we needed to sit KP8 for MR. I don't think that. I think that KP* should start, and MR back him. I see no need for MT at all. He clearly wasn't the future, so he should not be starting.

I still think we don't know MR's ceiling. It's all guessing. He had decent rookie numbers when he backed up Ben. He might have been the way to go. Who knows? No one. His numbers were not bad for a new guy with little time under center.

We do know MT's ceiling. Not impressive, and with canada's offense he looks worse. No future starter there, IMO.

Mason was not a rookie he was in his second year and not playing in this whatever the hell it is offense.
Kenny is a rookie and will make mistakes,
that’s a given. This offensive game plan is horrible and does not fit our skill players.
Again, middle of the field neglected.
This is not a good football team but one that’s going through growing pains with their rookie QB. There is zero run game and a weak offensive game plan so what would you expect?
I think we need to be patent as I’ve mentioned numerous times with Kenny.
Remember Elway, both Mannings, Bradshaw rookie years. They were not good. Hell even the messiah in Jacksonville Trev Lawrence didn’t have a good rookie year and all those guys were first game starters unlike Kenny.
Stop thinking he’s going to save the season because he’s not. He needs to go through the bad as well as the good.
MT is basically a rookie. He has very little time under center, and little time with the starters in camp, practice, etc.

Those stats are still better than Pickett. If you take out the one horrible and infamous Browns game Rudolph has been solid. Last two starts decent.

I’m not saying Pickett isn’t going to get better. I am saying maybe Rudolph was better than we gave credit for. He’s not Roethlisberger and that’s a tall order to compare to. But when you start giving him fair (not cherry picked) stats you see fans were very short sighted and unfair.
His last two starts were decent? His last start (against the winless Detroit Lions) didn’t he have a GRAND line of something like 30-55 for 220 yards? Didn’t he also lead us to a tie? A tie against a winless, and hapless team? When he had his chance to really ******* shine and put to bed any questions about him potentially being the starter in 2022? Didn’t Rudolph’s offenses average something like a whopping 15-16 ppg? Come on, Rudolph is not better than anyone. If he was, he would’ve taken control of the starting position by proving it on the field in the limited chances he had. He did none of those things.

Pitt fans are giving a TON of excuses for Pickett. If Rudolph had a game like last night he would have been crucified.

Sure, Pickett is a rookie. But his strength (and invariably his weakness during the draft) was that he was a high-floor / low-ceiling prospect. Which suggests that there may not be all that much upside for this 24 yr old rookie. And its not like he has elite tangibles that he can rely on like J.Allens arm strength, or Lamar's athleticism, or Mahome's ability to throw off platform.

His last two starts were decent? His last start (against the winless Detroit Lions) didn’t he have a GRAND line of something like 30-55 for 220 yards? Didn’t he also lead us to a tie? A tie against a winless, and hapless team? When he had his chance to really ******* shine and put to bed any questions about him potentially being the starter in 2022? Didn’t Rudolph’s offenses average something like a whopping 15-16 ppg? Come on, Rudolph is not better than anyone. If he was, he would’ve taken control of the starting position by proving it on the field in the limited chances he had. He did none of those things.
Ok, so if Rudolph is so bad why is his statistically better than Pickett?

And as for the Lions game. Stats wrong. And since you obviously don't remember Rudolph was leading a game winning drive until Freiermuth fumbled on the Lions 38. In field goal range. Why not some hate for Muth?

All you guys are proving is hypocrisy.

Last edited:
I'm not giving up on Pickett yet, just not impressed from what I've seen. Pickens and Friermuth are really his only reliable targets, he has no running game to fall back on, and a defense that somehow defies statistical odds by dropping atleast 4 gift interceptions. So he isn't getting much help I will admit that.
I am not giving up on Pickett. I am just stating Rudolph got blasted for a way better beginning of his career. So much so that people are blinded to see how poorly he has been treated by the fan base. Partly because there's a lot of Pitt fans wearing rose colored glasses and partly because people for some reason didn't expect a drop off from Ben to Mason.

I am not giving up on Pickett. I am just stating Rudolph got blasted for a way better beginning of his career. So much so that people are blinded to see how poorly he has been treated by the fan base. Partly because there's a lot of Pitt fans wearing rose colored glasses and partly because people for some reason didn't expect a drop off from Ben to Mason.
I don't think the majority of fans are treating Rudolph any sort of way outside not wishing him to start.

Trust me. I am a known hater of both QB's lol.

When they took Rudolph, I was pissed. Was he supposed to be the heir-apparent? Backup? Seems as if Colbert and Tomlin didn't really have a plan for him.

When they took Pickett, I was pissed. They take a low-risk / low-reward QB when we already have two of them roster? And they choose him despite SEVERAL QB needy teams deciding to pass on him?

But when I complained online about Rudolph, I may have received one or two people saying "give him time", etc. But when you say anything about Pickett, you are met with a cheerleading squad of defenders who claim that he has all these 'Intangibles',

They all suck
Remember when Rudolph was beat out by Duck Hodges? He isn't good, none of these guys are the future.
Kenny has some good throws/ plays but the majority of the time he doesn't look like he should be on an NFL field, similar to Najee Harris.
I was much more optimistic a few weeks ago with Pickett. Whats the Interception to TD record in the league? Kenny could set a new bar.
Not really fair for anyone when the opposing teams watch tape and know you only throw outside the hashes and curls and come back routes. No QB will flourish in this offense.

Sorry but those bashing KP, writing him off, and calling him a bust (like many already do to Najee who had a great rookie year and has mostly been injured this year and still playing behind the worst OL in the NFL) already is just pure laughable. I'll give Pickett until at least his 3rd year before I even think of writing him off. I've seen as much good, if not more, out of him as I have out of MR and MT and they aren't rookies. Pickett needs a new OC, which hopefully he will get next year. He needs a couple better guys on the OL in front of him and that's just to start. None of that will happen until next year. He also needs his WR's to get open consistently and catch the ball consistently. This nonsense is just that, nonsense. You haven't even truly given him a chance.

Trust me. I am a known hater of both QB's lol.

When they took Rudolph, I was pissed. Was he supposed to be the heir-apparent? Backup? Seems as if Colbert and Tomlin didn't really have a plan for him.

When they took Pickett, I was pissed. They take a low-risk / low-reward QB when we already have two of them roster? And they choose him despite SEVERAL QB needy teams deciding to pass on him?

But when I complained online about Rudolph, I may have received one or two people saying "give him time", etc. But when you say anything about Pickett, you are met with a cheerleading squad of defenders who claim that he has all these 'Intangibles',
I’m more in the middle. I don’t think Rudolph is as bad as they say and I don’t think KP is as good as the hype. I’ll give KP and Tomlin through 2024 to build something. If they do, awesome! If not, buh-bye.

Uh, why the comparison to Rudolph? Rudolph hasn’t accomplished anywhere near what Trubisky has. If Pickett is benched, Trubisky should be the QB. Unless there’s an injury, Rudolph is irrelevant to the QB conversation.
Because Rudolph was drafted by the Steelers. He's the guy people say is a bust and a scrub. But if you want here it is.

Rudolph- 83/130 897 yards 9/3
Trubisky- 77/145 988 yards 4/2
Pickett- 87/127 771 yards 2/7

This is an actual existing thread? Yep, think it might be time to give this board a break for awhile......holy smokes :cautious:
Thank you for not contributing anything intelligent. Buh-Bye :wave:

I supported Rudolph being the #1 because I wasn't enamored with the class and didn't think KP would be there anyhow and felt we were going to be tge ***** anyhow. While I don't think playing KP is a good idea he looks like he has tangible and intangibles far past Rudolph's first real playtime which was in year 3.

We've all seen Mason play. We all know he brings the magic.

Peyton Manning 1st 4 games
81/146 992 yards. 3 tds 11 picks

Clearly he was a bust and shows we should move on from the Kenny experiment.

I agree Rudolph gets a bad rep but he is not elite and is not the long term answer. I have no tie to the Panthers so don’t care as I am not a long term Kenny fan. However it is clear that he has more command of the offense than any other Qb on the roster. He is going to take his lumps this year and learn. No reason to play Rudolph or Mitch, this team is NOT going anywhere this year, to many holes. Might as well let Kenny get his experience this year as opposed to having the team suck this year and then move on to a second year QB in their first live action and throw season 2 down the drain.

I think they put KP in too early though I agreed with the Jets game. I also think comparing his stats to Rudolph or Manning is assnine. He has looked good arm strength, mobility and accuracy and he makes decisions like a rookie and the offense is JV at best.

I’m more in the middle. I don’t think Rudolph is as bad as they say and I don’t think KP is as good as the hype. I’ll give KP and Tomlin through 2024 to build something. If they do, awesome! If not, buh-bye.
Have no idea if Kenny is the real deal or not. We know mason is not. But Kenny and any football player on this earth deserves a competent OC before he is judged. Hell Canada even made Ben look like the worst QB to ever play the game. Kenny may still suck, that is a possibility. However i am not sure if there is a human being that exists that could look or do good with Canada. He really is that bad. I mean we are talking bring in someone who has never even watched a game of football and knows nothing about the game and they probably wouldn't do worse. I am really not trying to be a smart *** but this guy is truly pathetic. He could probably make Tom Brady look worse than Ryan Leaf He's that bad.