• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Running lower and lower on nfl love these days

I'd like to say that my losing interest in the NFL is due to something...just to make a point. But at the end of the day it is just the fact that I'm getting older, and with that you start to realize you are on the back 9 of life and here I am on a beautiful Sunday afternoon in the fall getting frustrated over a football game. So I've started to do a lot more fishing or hunting when it's open on Sundays. I became a grandfather as well, and when I look at that little girl, well shiit, the angst over football seems stupid.

Another thing, I remember pretty well the 70s...at least from '76 on. I always said I wanted them to win one in my adulthood. Well, they won 2. That took some of the fire away.
It does take a certain level of maturity to realize there's no point in getting worked up over something that you have no control over.
That little granddaughter is another story.

So here is what I do with football. I watch the Steelers and when they lose out of the playoffs I watch the playoffs. If there is a particularly good matchup in prime time I will have a couple beers with a friend or my sons and watch. I play arm chair gm/owner here because I enjoy the mental exercise and cannot be bothered to watch closely enough to give two ***** about fantasy Football. The game gets turned on at kickoff. I dont even look at the ******** round tables. So in essence I watch the real news of football. That's it. I avoid the soap opera news same way avoid political news......like the plague. And I'm much happier living an oblivious life.

The whole thing with the KC kicker being a "contraversy", the clear disregard for all the "player safety" lies, the favoratism of some players/teams, the stupid rules, etc.

Just losing the passion, beyond my deeply lost passion.

Anyone else?

I’m in that boat as well.

Back in the spy-gate, the NFL lost all integrity through that ordeal. That singlehandedly lead to so many other disorders involving that team, yet ignored and the results of the cheating were accepted. ALL that in the name of money.

The league turned GREED MACHINE and nothing but Money motivates all decisions made by them.

Djfan, don’t let it get to yaz. This message board helps keep me “semi-sane”…….. PM if you need. Also remember it is just a game, minus the real world aspects.

You bring a great deal of positive to this board, and I for one appreciate all the way SIR.

Salute the nation

I'd like to say that my losing interest in the NFL is due to something...just to make a point. But at the end of the day it is just the fact that I'm getting older, and with that you start to realize you are on the back 9 of life and here I am on a beautiful Sunday afternoon in the fall getting frustrated over a football game. So I've started to do a lot more fishing or hunting when it's open on Sundays. I became a grandfather as well, and when I look at that little girl, well shiit, the angst over football seems stupid.

100% my way of thinking. I give the Pirates thanks for making me realize that investing any emotional energy in grown men wearing pajamas and chasing a ball is pretty ridiculous.

If I am not enjoying a game, I turn it off. I have other things to do.

I wont go to games anymore... I quit buying merch too... I wont watch that Christmas abomination either... its a drop in the bucket but Im just not interested enough to dedicate what I used to dedicate to this crap

What i mostly am going to advise is that every time the NFL ***** up something badly, fans start publicly boycotting anything running tv ads during the game... that irks the networks and the League only cares about the networks opinions
I'm a lifelong Steeler fan, that's it. A lot of things have destroyed the game for me, the pats****** the ridiculous rules of engagement for defense and the uneven application of fouls, which in some games is completely ignored, such as offensive holding.

The product gets lamer every year.

Yes SIR(s) I’m in this boat as well.

I spend very little on NFL.

I was going through some very hard times and this place (the way way back when one) was a way for me to keep things real. It still is, but the world has changed in many ways. My heart broke when the integrity broke, all down hill from that point on. I always said Fantasy Football was the beginning of the end, but actually it was the destroying of the tapes and not coming clean about it.

Gambling and GREED MACHINE are now the morphed bitchesss that rule.

Salute the nation

Oh and another realization I came to along time ago. They all just play for money. If they can parlay things like the fans, loyalty and a brand into money. They do.
Let's take Russ Wilson for example. He took a ridiculously low contract, can't be seen in anything but Steelers swag. Talks about the tradition blah blah blah. Why? Cause he secretly has always dreamed of playing for the Steelers. Hahaha ha. Noooooo. He is looking for a third act and a decent payday to end his career. And whether it is with the Steelers or not they offer the best potential to play on a bigger stage and win the groundhog day winning season thst might get him his third act next offseason.

Last edited:
I’m in that boat as well.

Back in the spy-gate, the NFL lost all integrity through that ordeal. That singlehandedly lead to so many other disorders involving that team, yet ignored and the results of the cheating were accepted. ALL that in the name of money.

The league turned GREED MACHINE and nothing but Money motivates all decisions made by them.

Djfan, don’t let it get to yaz. This message board helps keep me “semi-sane”…….. PM if you need. Also remember it is just a game, minus the real world aspects.

You bring a great deal of positive to this board, and I for one appreciate all the way SIR.

Salute the nation
Thank you my brother.

Oh and another realization I came to along time ago. They all just play for money. If they can parlay things like the fans, loyalty and a brand into money. They do.
Let's take Russ Wilson for example. He took a ridiculously low contract, can't be seen in anything but Steelers swag. Talks about the tradition blah blah blah. Why? Cause he secretly has always dreamed of playing for the Steelers. Hahaha ha. Noooooo. He is looking for a third act and a decent payday to end his career. And whether it is with the Steelers or not they offer the best potential to play on a bigger stage and win the groundhog day winning season thst might get him his third act next offseason.
Denver is paying his ridiculous contract this year. He isn't doing this on the cheap. He's getting 40 million dollars. Obviously if things go well this year,he will certainly cash in for more.

Denver is paying his ridiculous contract this year. He isn't doing this on the cheap. He's getting 40 million dollars. Obviously if things go well this year,he will certainly cash in for more.
Yeah but he could have played somewhere for more then he got here. He is trying to play a long game. All I'm saying is this doesn't end on a podium with confetti falling down it ends with 9 or 10 wins and him signing a 25 plus million a year deal with some team and the Steelers probably will be only one of 5 teams.

Yeah but he could have played somewhere for more then he got here. He is trying to play a long game. All I'm saying is this doesn't end on a podium with confetti falling down it ends with 9 or 10 wins and him signing a 25 plus million a year deal with some team and the Steelers probably will be only one of 5 teams.
No. Wilson is getting 39 million dollars this year, period. Denver is paying the difference between that figure and the 1.21 million he's being paid by the Steelers. There was no reason for any team to pay him any more than the league minimum. This was explained at length when Russ signed with Pittsburgh two months ago.

Another thing, I remember pretty well the 70s...at least from '76 on. I always said I wanted them to win one in my adulthood. Well, they won 2. That took some of the fire away.
I’m in the same boat. Although I’m on the younger side. 34 years old, but I’ve realized how impractical it is to get riled up over something out of my control.

Seeing my alma mater win back to back national championships, seeing the Pens win back to back cups and the witnessing the Steelers win it all twice in my lifetime has also took away that fire.

I enjoy seeing fan bases rally together in the playoffs more these days.

ive seen articles that steelers went with wilson,,, and then justin fields came available.... and wilson is gone soon

No. Wilson is getting 39 million dollars this year, period. Denver is paying the difference between that figure and the 1.21 million he's being paid by the Steelers. There was no reason for any team to pay him any more than the league minimum. This was explained at length when Russ signed with Pittsburgh two months ago.
One question. Does the money he makes with the Steelers cut into the money he makes from the Donkeys? If not then what someone else pays him is irrelevant. If there was a market for his services someone could have paid him 20 million. But none of that matters. He isnt doing this out of the good of his heart or because he wants to be a Steelers player with a burning desire. They were a playoff team and the perception was there qb play was ***. He is trying to rehab himself as the upper echelon qb that the donkeys sold the farm for.

What part of the NFL’s statement put words in his mouth?

If you were tasked with issuing a statement on behalf of the NFL, which has seen its female fan base grow dramatically, what would you have said?
I see one of the “pearl clutchers” alluded to earlier has shown up.

One question. Does the money he makes with the Steelers cut into the money he makes from the Donkeys? If not then what someone else pays him is irrelevant. If there was a market for his services someone could have paid him 20 million. But none of that matters. He isnt doing this out of the good of his heart or because he wants to be a Steelers player with a burning desire. They were a playoff team and the perception was there qb play was ***. He is trying to rehab himself as the upper echelon qb that the donkeys sold the farm for.
The ONLY way Wilson was making MORE money is if another team paid him more than 40 +/- million for 2024. All the Steelers did was pay vet min, which saved Denver about 1.2 million. If a team paid Wilson 20 million, he was still only making 40+/- million. The 20 million would not be in addition to thrpe Denver money.

Go back and read all the excellent explanations on this very question.

the same people who are complaining about Butker are deafeningly silent over P Diddy.
Nobody knows what you are referring to. Nobody is aware of the P Diddy video because after obtaining it, CNN buried it and didn’t share it with other media outlets. Nobody has seen it.

Or is that just another delusion of yours?

ive seen articles that steelers went with wilson,,, and then justin fields came available.... and wilson is gone soon
Considering the schedule. I don't see Fields being on the bench the whole season. It will be a monumental task just making it through the second half of the season without any significant injuries.

Three games in 10 days late in the season? Eagles,Ravens and Chiefs. That's a lot of work with minimal recovery time. It looks like the NFL wanted to make sure the AFC North doesn't have every team finish with a winning record again.

They'll needs all hands on deck. The very young OL will have to grow up fast.

I definitely see Fields at some point with a chance to audition for the future.

Considering the schedule. I don't see Fields being on the bench the whole season. It will be a monumental task just making it through the second half of the season without any significant injuries.

Three games in 10 days late in the season? Eagles,Ravens and Chiefs. That's a lot of work with minimal recovery time. It looks like the NFL wanted to make sure the AFC North doesn't have every team finish with a winning record again.

They'll needs all hands on deck. The very young OL will have to grow up fast.

I definitely see Fields at some point with a chance to audition for the future.
Wilson has been remarkably durable over his career. The three game stretch is over eleven days.

What i mostly am going to advise is that every time the NFL ***** up something badly, fans start publicly boycotting anything running tv ads during the game... that irks the networks and the League only cares about the networks opinions
😂 Dude!

The reason the NFL makes the insane money it makes is because people like you watch games faithfully. So you want corporations who buy advertising because you watch the games to suffer because you don’t like what the NFL is doing? You want to have principle without actually having principle.

Reactions: MTC
What part of the NFL’s statement put words in his mouth?

If you were tasked with issuing a statement on behalf of the NFL, which has seen its female fan base grow dramatically, what would you have said?
"We respect everyone's opinions and freedom of speech as is the first amendment of the US Constitution. Harrison was not expressing his views as a NFL nor a Kansas City Chiefs representative, and his expressed opinion is his own. These views do not reflect that of the NFL or the Kansas City Chiefs Organization. Now get a life, and get over yourselves.......losers"

Ok, maybe I would have said that last part

Wilson has been remarkably durable over his career. The three game stretch is over eleven days.
It actually won't be that as much on Wilson as it will be our very young OL. It's going to be a good test vs very good defenses. The Eagles always seem to get the better of the Steelers.

Oh 11 days, that makes a huge difference..haha. Those are going to be very physical games.

The broncos are paying the majority of his contract still. He didn’t take a paycut lol.

Of course they play for money. As a capitalist society we need money to survive and pay for the necessities we need. The higher the income the more we spend on luxuries vs necessities.

Tradition and pride is lip service to keep us tuned in. They’re under contract and have to keep up the facade of team pride etc. opens up marketing opportunities for them which is where the $$$ comes in. I think it was Gronkowski and even Marshawn Lynch who were able to save their contract money and live off their endorsement money. They won’t have to struggle a day in their life anymore.

😂 Dude!

The reason the NFL makes the insane money it makes is because people like you watch games faithfully. So you want corporations who buy advertising because you watch the games to suffer because you don’t like what the NFL is doing? You want to have principle without actually having principle.
Yep. I agree here lol

Meh, I watch one team and only one team, unless the results of another game definitively result in playoff implications of the one team that I do watch.
Living out of the area, I have to weigh each year whether purchasing the ticket is worth the price, because that's all the NFL will get from me.

The old adage holds true, life is too short.