• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Russell or Justin?

Very true IF Russell was practicing w/ the ones all week - I haven't seen or read that anywhere...

The bigger problem is "who's playing OLB in Vegas this week opposite of TJ"???
My biggest concern is how our defense is going to deal with Brock Bowers?

We are still in decent shape to coast to 9 wins. We may have deployed the landing gear a bit early, but there is no reason to be panicking.

Despite many people claiming otherwise I have never once seen anywhere that Tomlin promised Wilson anything other than he would have the pole position in training camp. Everything else is purely made-up conjecture. In fact, he has been pretty clear all along in not naming either of them "the guy". He has always given himself the room to do what he needs to do and not unnecessarily put the pressure on either one. I think they both play, and I would be ok with seeing how that works out. It certainly makes prepping against us a bit harder.

Very true IF Russell was practicing w/ the ones all week - I haven't seen or read that anywhere...

The bigger problem is "who's playing OLB in Vegas this week opposite of TJ"???
Russell is a veteran player and i don't think he needs the work the same way Fields does. Reports have been glowing about Wilsons throws in practice against the ones.

TJ doesn't need anyone he can play both sides at once. Lol. Could we see some modified 4-3? I think with Loudermilk looking to play some edge this week that will be what it is in essence.

That is my single biggest worry in this game for the defense. They suck at stopping the TE and Brock is as talented as any in the league.
Yeppers..

If the Steelers try to cover him with their little beanie... he going to get huge totals!

I’d like to see Wilson, but I don’t think our line can protect him, Fields has more escapability and has needed it this season. Wilson would get sacked 3-4 times a game with this line.

My guess is Fields starts but if he falters Wilson comes in.

The real solution is getting Fields on the move more but Tomlin loves his round peg for a square hole, maybe he’ll surprise me but I doubt it

I would really like to see what Russ can do at some point. I'm not sure how much difference it would make even if it was the Russ of old, but a guy can dream.

The guy I'm playing in fantasy this week has Bowers. I have Pickens. That $hit doesn't even seem fair. If he hasn't been benched, Pickens is gonna be out there lollygagging around, catching 2-3 balls and celebrating like he just marched into Berlin.

I think Fields is one fumble away from being benched.

I’d like to see Wilson, but I don’t think our line can protect him, Fields has more escapability and has needed it this season. Wilson would get sacked 3-4 times a game with this line.

My guess is Fields starts but if he falters Wilson comes in.

The real solution is getting Fields on the move more but Tomlin so….
Not so sure that would be the case?…
I feel Russell would be quicker releasing the ball out his hand, recognizing coverages better, and finding the go to guy much more efficient than Fields.
I see your point but my fear is we go too much dink and dunk to protect Russ and it looks like last years offense. I do think Smith could make Russ work at QB if he was allowed to

Not so sure that would be the case?…
I feel Russell would be quicker releasing the ball out his hand, recognizing coverages better, and finding the go to guy much more efficient than Fields.
Except our WRs don't get space....yet open. I am at the point I want to see Wilson play. Seems he might be able to do things with our OL where Fields can't. Make them block better by his mere presence on the field. Make our WRs be able get open ....catch the ball easier.....just by him being on the field. Make Tomlin change up his entire game philosophy.....just by him being on the field. And if this actually happens. That would be awesome. I will again get my hopes up for something more this season. Get it done Wilson(when you get your chance)!!!!!

Whether he starts or not, I want to see what Russell has. This is a must win game in my mind. Losing 3 straight, against another weaker team would be very bad.
this is where i'm at too. i care a lot more about making sure we beat a bad/middling at best team. i pull for fields to keep the job, but winning is the most important thing to me.

The only reason Russell. Maybe tgey play the whole field. If not Fields. But eventually they have to let him play.
If Fields keeps them over .500, aka “the standard” Mike doesn’t have to do anything. He’s not going to let outside voices dictate his decision. Has the crowd started chanting “Wil-son, Wil-son” yet at games? At that point maybe the pressure becomes great enough to explore other options as long as they have been chanting for about a year…alas Russ is only here a year.

Dude kept Canada despite everyone with eyeballs realizing he was a damn fool.

As long as Fields holds “the standard” I expect him to remain in the pole position
It isn’t necessarily the right thing to do, but what I’d fully expect will happen.

I'd like to see Wilson to see what he can do. I think Wilson piques everyone's curiosity even if you believe Justin is the better option.

But that could pose a dilemma. If Wilson disappoints do we attribute it to him being rusty and give him a couple more starts?....and in the meantime we have Fields sitting on the bench regressing rather than gaining more experience.

Or will we say "I told you so", "or I thought so", and want to get him the **** out of there immediately?

Tough decisions Tomlin has to make. Gambling is what it is.

Last edited:
The idea of 2 starting QBs have always scared me. if you have two as the saying goes you have none.

But I would probs do some kinda of dbl qb starts plan. packages for fields and wilson.

I fear wilson would not make an entire game behind the makeshift oline, but packages for both might help with this.