• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Russell or Justin?

So Fields is on avg for like 3000 plus yards. 66 completion percentage. 14 tds and 5 ints. 93 plus rating. With 650 yards rushing along with 14 rushing tds. Is on pace for 11 plus wins.

Who here is thinking that isn't enough? Who wants more? And who thinks Russ would be on pace for a better season? Just curious is all.
When you factor in he is learning yet another new offense to him (as he does every year it seems), the lack of playmakers around him and an OL that features 3-4 backups per week I gotta say he’s doing better than I had expected he would.

Watching the breakdown of Fields in play action vs Russ in play action does make me wonder if Russ would be the better fit, not to take anything away from Justin.

Russ is very effective in play action which is the round peg for an AS offense

Fields in near the bottom of the league in play action ypa, the square peg for what the AS offense is designed to do. At OSU it was a more spread out offense with excellent receivers and Fields excelled. At UGA playing under center/run heavy Fields lost his lunch to Stetson Bennett.

That brings one to the question that would Russ survive behind this OL that frequently puts the QB immediately on the run? Which is a strength of Fields.

Just happy we have such a seasoned coach that can NHALS no matter who the QB is making this tough decision.

JETS Defense is a legit Top 5 in the NFL today. If Fields gets the start he's going to struggle against a stout JETS Defense. If they give the ball to Wilson and he struggles people are going to question if he was ready to start....or just rusty! I do want to see what they have in Wilson at some point before the BYE week!

I think Russell Wilson is a little more mobil than some Steeler fans might think. Even last season he made some nice plays extending the play and finding receivers downfield open for completions. We shall see I think Russell could be the guy that can take this offense to the next level but he needs to be given that chance.
Are you kidding me? Tomlin is no where near putting Russ in at this point, unless Fields has a total FAIL. NO WAY does Tomlin pull the trigger unless extreme FAIL occurs. Tomlin thinks the 32 points is the new normal for the Steelers. He has no idea he's about to hit a big stop sign with the Jets. He's clueless. It's back to all FGs with the Steelers and Jets.

I'm ready to see what Russ has left in him.
Outside of his running, Field's best play is roughing the passer. I don't think we're going to get very far with him.

Are you kidding me? Tomlin is no where near putting Russ in at this point, unless Fields has a total FAIL. NO WAY does Tomlin pull the trigger unless extreme FAIL occurs. Tomlin thinks the 32 points is the new normal for the Steelers. He has no idea he's about to hit a big stop sign with the Jets. He's clueless. It's back to all FGs with the Steelers and Jets.

I wish the guys that get paid millions of$$$ knew half of what you know. And you give it to the world free of charge!
A hero you are

Stay with Fields, Russ will get his chance soon enough. When was last time we went a whole season with one QB. Right now with the line in the condition it's in Russ will get planted like the spring crop. I am really surprised Kahn hasn't found a receiver out there. I mean is Van Jefferson that hard to replace. It doesn't have to Parker or some huge name.

Its all about who runs the Offense better. And we wont have an answer for that because we are not in practice...

What we do know is Fields initially showed a lot of improvement, but is fluctuating on accuracy and effectiveness as they add more in ... if Wilson can hit those timing routes over the middle better then that might overall be more effective than Fields running..

We are damn lucky the Raiders blundered this game away... and that we got favorable calls at key times.. this was by far his worse showing of the year. Qbs can have bad games... it happens... but it left a door open for Tomlin to make a switch
At 4-2 Shades ain't even considering a switch. He's fat and happy.

Reactions: xjx
I agree Tomlin is not going to pull fields. I think it will take more than one fail though. The Jets defense is good, but i don't know about top 5. Will be interesting to see how they hold up against Buffalo.

At 4-2 Shades ain't even considering a switch. He's fat and happy.
Cooch let’s keep personal insults of our coaches and players off the board.

His weight has nothing to do with coaching,etc.

I'm ready to see what Russ has left in him.
Outside of his running, Field's best play is roughing the passer. I don't think we're going to get very far with him.
Will need to be fact checked but I read on SD that Fields has never won a game where the opponent scored 20 plus points.

If true that is a very concerning statistic.

I think Russell Wilson is a little more mobil than some Steeler fans might think. Even last season he made some nice plays extending the play and finding receivers downfield open for completions. We shall see I think Russell could be the guy that can take this offense to the next level but he needs to be given that chance.
I'm not saying Wilson is immobile, only that he is not a threat to tuck the ball and run multiple times a game

If the line gave time I think Russ' experience, vision and accuracy woukd play. Ad it is you need Fields mobility and escapes.
Which is EXACTLY why you suit them both up and OPEN THE ENTIRE playbook up every week going forward.

My question is 'just because Russ is an aged QB at 35, what proof do we have that he can no longer escape, if need be?"

I know, we know, that he is not Justin Fields in that department; but I do think that Russell will see lighter boxes because of his throwing abilities...

Rent-free...

Which is EXACTLY why you suit them both up and OPEN THE ENTIRE playbook up every week going forward.

My question is 'just because Russ is an aged QB at 35, what proof do we have that he can no longer escape, if need be?"

I know, we know, that he is not Justin Fields in that department; but I do think that Russell will see lighter boxes because of his throwing abilities...

The "Russ can't run anymore" argument came because his final season in Seattle he ran for a career low 43 attempts... his previous career low was 67... however he was doing the fast pass crap and his sack total was a career low tying 33...

Then the next year, in a really bad Denver scheme, he only ran 55 times and took a league leading 55 sacks... and thus the narrative started.

Last season, in 15 games he ran 80 times... (5.3 att per game) more on par with his career averages. He got 38 1st downs.. his sack % was 9.15

This season Fields has run 55 times in 6 games (9.1 per game). ( Wayyyy too much to win in the postseason, btw)
That puts him on pace for 155 carries this season, 5 short of his career high... but he is only averaging 4.2 ypc...when he had 160 carries, he averaged over 7 ypc...

He is on pace for 48 first downs in 17 games
Compare that to Russ's pace of 43 / 17 games from last season.

As for sacks, Russ has always been high, but so has Fields... Fields has a career low 9.09 sack percentage this year.. Russ's last year was 9.15... and that was the 4 th worse of Wilson's long career...

Fields does escape more, but he also doesnt recognize blitzes as well as vets do .. but overall the numbers on Wilson dont paint the picture of an immobile pocket QB

I've watched Russ most of his career in Seattle. His escapability is pretty much done. I do agree he can process faster though.

The "Russ can't run anymore" argument came because his final season in Seattle he ran for a career low 43 attempts... his previous career low was 67... however he was doing the fast pass crap and his sack total was a career low tying 33...

Then the next year, in a really bad Denver scheme, he only ran 55 times and took a league leading 55 sacks... and thus the narrative started.

Last season, in 15 games he ran 80 times... (5.3 att per game) more on par with his career averages. He got 38 1st downs.. his sack % was 9.15

This season Fields has run 55 times in 6 games (9.1 per game). ( Wayyyy too much to win in the postseason, btw)
That puts him on pace for 155 carries this season, 5 short of his career high... but he is only averaging 4.2 ypc...when he had 160 carries, he averaged over 7 ypc...

He is on pace for 48 first downs in 17 games
Compare that to Russ's pace of 43 / 17 games from last season.

As for sacks, Russ has always been high, but so has Fields... Fields has a career low 9.09 sack percentage this year.. Russ's last year was 9.15... and that was the 4 th worse of Wilson's long career...

Fields does escape more, but he also doesnt recognize blitzes as well as vets do .. but overall the numbers on Wilson dont paint the picture of an immobile pocket QB
I can only give a 1/2 @ss analysis on this here but generally speaking, I'd say:

1.) Fields can get away more often than Russ, especially considering the age of each.
2.) Russ has been more accurate hitting receivers downfield in his career. Is he still?
3.) Fields has shown SOME improvement in finding semi-open WRs. Enough?

So Fields is on avg for like 3000 plus yards. 66 completion percentage. 14 tds and 5 ints. 93 plus rating. With 650 yards rushing along with 14 rushing tds. Is on pace for 11 plus wins.

Who here is thinking that isn't enough? Who wants more? And who thinks Russ would be on pace for a better season? Just curious is all.
It isn’t the what it is the how. I want more flow. I want the “routine to be done routinely”. I am hoping that is what we get from Russell. I want to see a play action average yards be 8+ not the 4 it is now. I want a QB who can read the defense and make them pay for having 8 in the box by quickly finding the weak spot.

JETS Defense is a legit Top 5 in the NFL today. If Fields gets the start he's going to struggle against a stout JETS Defense. If they give the ball to Wilson and he struggles people are going to question if he was ready to start....or just rusty! I do want to see what they have in Wilson at some point before the BYE week!

He rushed for over 300 last year. 341 with a 4.3 average on a bad team. If he is truly healthy he is mobile enough.

I'm not saying Wilson is immobile, only that he is not a threat to tuck the ball and run multiple times a game
he isn't the same athlete as Fields, but he is a good runner. i'm on team Fields, but if Wilson starts ima hope he plays well. i will say that ZFields has done a solid job this season and played well when we weren't in turtle mode. sometimes hard to see how good a qb is with our playstyle.

You were saying?