• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Russell or Justin?

Im not sure Wilson would be any better, but the Steelers have an unprecedented situation w/ a pro-bowl SB winning QB basically playing for them for free. I feel like if they dont at least try Wilson at some point it is a massive missed opportunity. On the other hand I dont know if Justin has done poor enough to be taken off the field and a much higher chance of having a future here. If Wilson doesnt get on the field it will just be a whole bunch of what-ifs.

You might be labeled as a racist supporting my posts...

giphys.gif

Wait...isn't it supposed to be the other way around?
Wouldn't disagreeing with you make someone a racist?

I know, that would make nearly everyone here a racist. LOL

I'd like to see Wilson to see what he can do. I think Wilson piques everyone's curiosity even if you believe Justin is the better option.

But that could pose a dilemma. If Wilson disappoints do we attribute it to him being rusty and give him a couple more starts?....and in the meantime we have Fields sitting on the bench regressing rather than gaining more experience.

Or will we say "I told you so", "or I thought so", and want to get him the **** out of there immediately?

Tough decisions Tomlin has to make. Gambling is what it is.
You just nailed the situation

And if Russ comes in and looks like garbage behind this OL or just in general and gets pulled does it have any effect on Fields’ confidence?

A tough situation indeed, especially as Russ is definitely not in any way shape or form a potential long term solution to the most important position.

Damn blocking sled really mucked things up

I haven't been tracking who is starting this week. I am guessing it is Fields. My take is....you open up the game for Fields. Lets see what he has got. Let the man audible to pass if the play is a run and the box is stacked. High Schools do this simple concept. Let him throw all over the field on all downs in all situations. Make up a real game plan where the QB is not just part of the equation but perhaps is the equation.

Everyone that wants Wilson to start seems to think that is what he will give us. A total opened up offense with a QB that doesn't have any hand cuffs on.

So give that opportunity to Fields this week. See what the man has. If the opportunity is given to him....the results will easily dictate our direction at QB moving forward.

Also I will add. It seems when Fields runs with the ball he is quick to slide. I would love them to tell him to open that up a bit. I know they are trying to limit his fumbling. Just seems to me that there are chunks of yard's that he is giving up as soon as any contact comes.

Give Fields the total opportunity to suceed/fail with all of the skills he brings to the table. Let the man play.

I haven't been tracking who is starting this week. I am guessing it is Fields. My take is....you open up the game for Fields. Lets see what he has got. Let the man audible to pass if the play is a run and the box is stacked. High Schools do this simple concept. Let him throw all over the field on all downs in all situations. Make up a real game plan where the QB is not just part of the equation but perhaps is the equation.

Everyone that wants Wilson to start seems to think that is what he will give us. A total opened up offense with a QB that doesn't have any hand cuffs on.

So give that opportunity to Fields this week. See what the man has. If the opportunity is given to him....the results will easily dictate our direction at QB moving forward.

Also I will add. It seems when Fields runs with the ball he is quick to slide. I would love them to tell him to open that up a bit. I know they are trying to limit his fumbling. Just seems to me that there are chunks of yard's that he is giving up as soon as any contact comes.

Give Fields the total opportunity to suceed/fail with all of the skills he brings to the table. Let the man play.
A solid strategy...give the man the keys to the car and see if he can win a race/drive
If he can't then next man up for pole position

The big question is the Steelers have not started one game this season well. So what do you do WHEN the offense is stagnant in the first half.
We need a better game plan to start the game and then stick to it.

My ideas:

Start the game and series passing to set up the run because you know the box will be full to start the game

get Fields moving out of the pocket with some run pass options

Use the seems in the middle of the field to hit our tight ends and slot receivers

Take a deep shot in the first two series

Screen passes

We need a better game plan to start the game and then stick to it.

My ideas:

Start the game and series passing to set up the run because you know the box will be full to start the game

get Fields moving out of the pocket with some run pass options

Use the seems in the middle of the field to hit our tight ends and slot receivers

Take a deep shot in the first two series

Screen passes
No BS. You should be OC. Problem is Tomlin is allergic to most of that.

So Fields is on avg for like 3000 plus yards. 66 completion percentage. 14 tds and 5 ints. 93 plus rating. With 650 yards rushing along with 14 rushing tds. Is on pace for 11 plus wins.

Who here is thinking that isn't enough? Who wants more? And who thinks Russ would be on pace for a better season? Just curious is all.

Last edited:
14 TD’s is just not going to cut it in today’s NFL, even if he does contribute an additional 10-12 rushing Touchdowns.

JETS Defense is a legit Top 5 in the NFL today. If Fields gets the start he's going to struggle against a stout JETS Defense. If they give the ball to Wilson and he struggles people are going to question if he was ready to start....or just rusty! I do want to see what they have in Wilson at some point before the BYE week!

I go back and forth on this question

I wasn't really a fan of bringing in either of these guys

Fields has been better than I expected but it is not like he is tearing up the field

he missed a lot of open guys today but continues to make big play with his legs, which is something Russ won't be doing...but will Russ be better at finding the open guy and getting the ball out at the right time.

who the **** really knows

it would be nice to see what Russ can do but pulling the ball from Fields when he has been winning is a tough choice to make

So Fields is on avg for like 3000 plus yards. 66 completion percentage. 14 tds and 5 ints. 93 plus rating. With 650 yards rushing along with 14 rushing tds. Is on pace for 11 plus wins.

Who here is thinking that isn't enough? Who wants more? And who thinks Russ would be on pace for a better season? Just curious is all.

Its all about who runs the Offense better. And we wont have an answer for that because we are not in practice...

What we do know is Fields initially showed a lot of improvement, but is fluctuating on accuracy and effectiveness as they add more in ... if Wilson can hit those timing routes over the middle better then that might overall be more effective than Fields running..

We are damn lucky the Raiders blundered this game away... and that we got favorable calls at key times.. this was by far his worse showing of the year. Qbs can have bad games... it happens... but it left a door open for Tomlin to make a switch

JETS Defense is a legit Top 5 in the NFL today. If Fields gets the start he's going to struggle against a stout JETS Defense. If they give the ball to Wilson and he struggles people are going to question if he was ready to start....or just rusty! I do want to see what they have in Wilson at some point before the BYE week!
I go back and forth on this question

I wasn't really a fan of bringing in either of these guys

Fields has been better than I expected but it is not like he is tearing up the field

he missed a lot of open guys today but continues to make big play with his legs, which is something Russ won't be doing...but will Russ be better at finding the open guy and getting the ball out at the right time.

who the **** really knows

it would be nice to see what Russ can do but pulling the ball from Fields when he has been winning is a tough choice to make
I think Russell Wilson is a little more mobil than some Steeler fans might think. Even last season he made some nice plays extending the play and finding receivers downfield open for completions. We shall see I think Russell could be the guy that can take this offense to the next level but he needs to be given that chance.