• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Russell or Justin?

Honestly, Its a pretty big gamble for Tomlin to make the Switch... there isnt a clear right or wrong answer here yet... but it is the kind of move that gets a coach hindsight checked after the fact.

Fields has had 3 very inconsistent showings in a row, but is 4-2.
Honestly the best rational I have heard for the switch is they want to see what their options are before division play starts...

Starting him rusty vs a top end D in primetime is very risky though... If he looks bad, Tomlin is gonna get grilled

See i figured he would hold out till either the Giants game or vs that bad D in Washington.. but I gues you could say vs tge Jets he was knocking off the rust... then see what he looks like vs a mediocre Giant D... then if you needed to, go back to Fields vs Washington after the bye and then hit division play

Honestly, Its a pretty big gamble for Tomlin to make the Switch... there isnt a clear right or wrong answer here yet... but it is the kind of move that gets a coach hindsight checked after the fact.

Honestly the best rational I have heard for the switch is they want to see what their options are before division play starts...

Starting him rusty vs a top end D in primetime is very risky though... If he looks bad, Tomlin is gonna get grilled
i guess if tomlin wants to see what he has in russ, the sooner the better. waiting one more week, like you previously mentioned, makes some sense. maybe he just wants to get a qb controversy out of the way as soon as possible. one way or the other.

I'm about to go back to his preseason debut. I remember the beautiful rainbow he dropped in but I want to really go back and see the whole time on the field again...BRB

It isn’t the what it is the how. I want more flow. I want the “routine to be done routinely”. I am hoping that is what we get from Russell. I want to see a play action average yards be 8+ not the 4 it is now. I want a QB who can read the defense and make them pay for having 8 in the box by quickly finding the weak spot.
Someone already mentioned how Moore has let players free access to Fields. Our run game at the moment just isn't good enough to freeze defenders. Seems like every game Fields is under immediate pressure when we go PA. Sometimes he is able to get away from it(pressure) by his athleticism and speed. Other times not so much.

could they be playing Rus to show he's healthy and then trade him?

If you are concerned about the future, you stick with Fields, trade for a WR then use the rest of the season to see if Fields is the QB of the future.

If you want to just win games this year, then start Rus.

Which is EXACTLY why you suit them both up and OPEN THE ENTIRE playbook up every week going forward.

My question is 'just because Russ is an aged QB at 35, what proof do we have that he can no longer escape, if need be?"

I know, we know, that he is not Justin Fields in that department; but I do think that Russell will see lighter boxes because of his throwing abilities...
Well Berm, a slow *** blocking sled caught Russ in the open field and kicked his ***

Rumor has it the Jets Lbs are even faster than said blocking sled 🤣

In a seriousness they should definitely have Fields ready with a couple packages should he be QB2 moving forward, I’d even slip him in the backfield a
Couple times with Russ under center just to make the D think

Start him vs top D is risky? If he is who everyone says he is you go with him. Not a hard decision. If it was Ben you wouldn't hesitate to start him. If healthy .....you go with your guy. Russ is healthy. Play the man. From here on out we ride with Russ!!!

If you are concerned about the future, you stick with Fields, trade for a WR then use the rest of the season to see if Fields is the QB of the future.

Doubtful. Stupid some would say. Why not throw him in last week after we had the game in hand?

This is where I am...but Tomlin and the Steelers see things differently.

There are 2 other factors to consider.

Maybe they are watching film and seeing tons of plays with WRs open but Fields holds the ball, so they can't evaluate the WRs. Perhaps they want to see a game with a QB that makes quicker reads before trade for a WR. That's what Carolina did. Offense started working with Dalton. They probably will go back to Young at some point but at least now they know what they have at other positions.

The other factor. I believe they owe Chicago a higher pick if Fields plays over 50% of the snaps. It could be that simple.

There are 2 other factors to consider.

Maybe they are watching film and seeing tons of plays with WRs open but Fields holds the ball, so they can't evaluate the WRs. Perhaps they want to see a game with a QB that makes quicker reads before trade for a WR. That's what Carolina did. Offense started working with Dalton. They probably will go back to Young at some point but at least now they know what they have at other positions.

The other factor. I believe they owe Chicago a higher pick if Fields plays over 50% of the snaps. It could be that simple.
I doubt it has anything to do with the draft. Mike feels the heat about the playoff games/wins that Rooney referenced.

Soooooo...
How many times does Russ get sacked? They're saying Frazier is out. Rest of the line is patchwork.