• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Schefter says it's a done deal.....

Disagree. Tomlin lets a lot of stuff fly. He’s just good at hiding it. See: Brown, Claypoo, Johnson and Pickens. If you’re productive, you can get away with almost anything. I mean he might take away the ping-pong table, but that’s about it.
No, Shades always gets portrayed so Machiavellian. He isn't a monster, he only took ping pong privileges away from rookies, not vets.

ADD in the restraint of throwing over the middle. I thought I’d read that Russell is reluctant to throw over the middle.

Salute the nation
I just read through 27 percent of his passes behind the kine of scrimmage. And over 60 percent within 5 yards of the LOS. Let that sink in.

Yeah, my feelings as well. Wilson makes the Steelers better. Wilson does not make the Steelers better than the Chiefs or the Ravens.
But does RW make the Steelers good enough to win ONE playoff game? The new standard (until they win 1, then the standard will go back to 9-8).

That is definately a given. With Wilson being added, Rudy will NOT be (Never say never). KP8 will definitely have to earn that starting role but that too, is a good thing (If he can).

Pro or Con on the Wilson joining the team….. it’s a cheap no brained decision That makes us a better team. It also allows us to fill more needs as the “cap” situation is made better as well.

Salute the nation
I'd love to see KP win the starting job. Sounds like Russell and Shades are already vibed. They will call it a camp battle but they will have it decided in their minds probably already. Wilson has to play his way out. Same as how Rudy got to play last year. KP got hurt and Mitch played his way out.

Dude was so above everyone else he required his own office on a separate floor from the locker room all his pee on teammates used
Wait, Russ peed on his peon teammates? lol

I'd love to see KP win the starting job. Sounds like Russell and Shades are already vibed. They will call it a camp battle but they will have it decided in their minds probably already. Wilson has to play his way out. Same as how Rudy got to play last year. KP got hurt and Mitch played his way out.
Don't forget the whole, entire moronic way they went about starting Mason; Shades refused to name him as QB1 even though he was the starter and Kenny was healthy. What absurdity was that? They still kept Kenny listed as QB1 and when asked about it, Tomlin threw a hissy fit. Kenny had already threw one earlier when asked to dress a game before when Mason was starting. Is this professional football with men involved or is this Jr high? Regardless, thank God this Russ signing worked out. Anything is better than facing 2024 with Kenny as QB1.

That is definately a given. With Wilson being added, Rudy will NOT be (Never say never). KP8 will definitely have to earn that starting role but that too, is a good thing (If he can).

Pro or Con on the Wilson joining the team….. it’s a cheap no brained decision That makes us a better team. It also allows us to fill more needs as the “cap” situation is made better as well.
I can see it now: Rudy decides to come back to the Steelers to be their third quarterback, yet again, and refuses to give up his uniform #3 to Russ.

EDIT: Shlt, Rudolph wore #2 all these years. lol Guess he didn't make a big impression on me.

Last edited:
I just read through 27 percent of his passes behind the kine of scrimmage. And over 60 percent within 5 yards of the LOS. Let that sink in.
You sure those weren't Kenny's numbers?

Wilson is the FA cast off

probably the biggest cast off since Tom Hanks and “Wilson” cast off from that island in the movie Cast Away.

Salute the nation

That perfectly aligns with Tomlin turtle ball!
It's a match made in hell!!!

Hot takes:

1. "It's not fair to Kenny" - I don't remember anyone claiming it wasn't fair to Dotson when they brought Seumalo to "compete" for his job. And, Kenny has shown far less at his position than Dotson did at his to that point. (OK, maybe not. But still .. What's wrong with a little competition? The better the competition, the better for the team.)
2. "He's too old" - He cost the vet min. If he's too old to perform, it won't cost much to dump him.
3. "He's a cancer" - Vet min. If he becomes a problem, cut his ***. No big deal.
4. "He's washed up" - And yet, he had better stats than Kenny last year.
5. "He doesn't throw over the middle" - Does Kenny? At least Wilson has shown he can make that style work and score points with it last year. As of yet, Kenny has not.

You get a veteran QB with Wilson's history that still has something in the tank for the Vet Min to compete with your young and floundering QB. There are absolutely no downsides to this. If he sucks, cut him. If he's a cancer, cut him. If the kid can't beat him out, you know something about the kid. If the kid does beat him out, you know something about the kid AND you have a "been there done that" QB as you backup. Folks wanted the "competition" to be somebody like Tannehill, Brissett, Mariotta because that meant the "competition" was fixed in Kenny's favor. Well, it isn't. And Kenny is going to have to go out and actually EARN his spot. That's not a bad thing. As a matter of fact, in the age of participation trophies, it's a rare, but good, thing!

Hot takes:

1. "It's not fair to Kenny" - I don't remember anyone claiming it wasn't fair to Dotson when they brought Seumalo to "compete" for his job. And, Kenny has shown far less at his position than Dotson did at his to that point. (OK, maybe not. But still .. What's wrong with a little competition? The better the competition, the better for the team.)
2. "He's too old" - He cost the vet min. If he's too old to perform, it won't cost much to dump him.
3. "He's a cancer" - Vet min. If he becomes a problem, cut his ***. No big deal.
5. "He doesn't throw over the middle" - Does Kenny? At least Wilson has shown he can make that style work and score points with it last year. As of yet, Kenny has not.

You get a veteran QB with Wilson's history that still has something in the tank for the Vet Min to compete with your young and floundering QB. There are absolutely no downsides to this. If he sucks, cut him. If he's a cancer, cut him. If the kid can't beat him out, you know something about the kid. If the kid does beat him out, you know something about the kid AND you have a "been there done that" QB as you backup. Folks wanted the "competition" to be somebody like Tannehill, Brissett, Mariotta because that meant the "competition" was fixed in Kenny's favor. Well, it isn't. And Kenny is going to have to go out and actually EARN his spot. That's not a bad thing. As a matter of fact, in the age of participation trophies, it's a rare, but good, thing!

The bottom line is Wilson was a cheap QB who has oodles of experience. There isnt a logical reason not to bring him in. Tge only way something isnt fair to Kenny is if Pickett clearly beats out Wilson in camp, but still gets benched... other than that, accumulating talent is what every team should be doing

I'm all for Kenny having legit competition Buckeye as I've said since day one that he was over drafted.

I don't care a bit about "being fair to Kenny" he's had opportunities and squandered them.
Russ being old doesn't even bother me too much as you are correct, he was more effective than Kenny, albeit with far more competent offensive coaching.

The problem with cancer is that it spreads, the last thing this squad, already led by an ineffective leader, needs is more disease.
Adding Russ basically does nothing for the future of this team, but could set it back 2-3 more years...if he is indeed cancerous possibly more.

If Tomlin is not extended the move by this very desperate team makes sense to try to finally win a playoff game again, but Tomlin is basically shoving all his chips in pre flop on a 9-8 offsuit and hoping he gets lucky.

Not very sound strategy for TEAM building in my book.

But who knows maybe he can take Shades to the promised land, 1 playoff victory, and we can get 3 -4 more years of the great standard as a payoff.

The risks (not talking salary one bit-obviously) just seem to outweigh the rewards imo

I'm all for Kenny having legit competition Buckeye as I've said since day one that he was over drafted.

I don't care a bit about "being fair to Kenny" he's had opportunities and squandered them.
Russ being old doesn't even bother me too much as you are correct, he was more effective than Kenny, albeit with far more competent offensive coaching.

The problem with cancer is that it spreads, the last thing this squad, already led by an ineffective leader, needs is more disease.
Adding Russ basically does nothing for the future of this team, but could set it back 2-3 more years...if he is indeed cancerous possibly more.

If Tomlin is not extended the move by this very desperate team makes sense to try to finally win a playoff game again, but Tomlin is basically shoving all his chips in pre flop on a 9-8 offsuit and hoping he gets lucky.

But who knows maybe he can take Shades to the promised land, 1 playoff victory, and we can get 3 -4 more years of the great standard as a payoff.

The risks (not talking salary one bit-obviously) just seem to outweigh the rewards imo
I respect your opinion on this matter. You raise some valid concerns. I can't say that I see the "cancer" problem as a problem until/unless it occurs. If it does, you cut it out (Cut Wilson) with minimal loss. As far as setting the team back 2-3 years, I see where you are coming from. The only thing I can think is that despite what was said, they really don't believe in KP8. Hence Wilson and their reported continued pursuit of Rudolph. In that case, they were already set back 2-3 years. Under those circumstances, if it were me, I'd roll with KP8 and see whether he could put it together or if we were picking in the top 10 next year. I think though that they feel some obligation to Cam, TJ and Minkah (if not the fans) to put a good team around them and not tank.

Hot takes:

I said a hip-hop, the hippie, the hippie
To the hip, hip-hop and you don't stop the rockin'
To the bang-bang boogie, say up jump the boogie
To the rhythm of the boogie, the beat
...you nailed every point.

I don't see adding Russ setting us back 2-3 years or 3-4. Maybe 1, and that is if we ignore adding a potential future QB this year, which we may or may not depending how the draft goes. It's still possible that we get lucky and add a future legit starter, not likely, but it's not impossible. But let's say we don't and that all moved we make are mostly to increase our chances THIS year.

OK, it's not totally absurd. Not that I put much faith into what TV sports writers/analysts say, but a lot of them now do consider Pgh to "have a shot" to making it to the 2nd tier, AKA conference championship level. They say (yes, I know, turn on the puke machine) that with a decent QB play/offense, the D will just get better and not worn down. And our running game will improve as Ds can't A.) predict what play is coming before the ball is even snapped (as was the case with Canada as OC) and B.) assume every play is a run besides on 3rd down.

If the change in OC, the improvement in QB adds to the offense making a legit amount of 1st downs and improves our PPG to, say, the mid-20's, there is some room for optimism. Some. It's at least better than facing 2024 with Kenny as our starting QB, which looks pretty bleak all around.

Is it just a 1-year fix? Most probable. But is it a least a 1-year fix? Possibly. It gives us a hope - not a huge one - but a hope nonetheless. Anything is better than the fake "QB competition" that was on it's way prior to this signing, with Kenny being the obvious winner before it every actually started. Anything is better than a team "led" by Kenny at QB, with the team having to lie all season long about how he is "improving" and "on his way" with Shades doing the cheerleading. ANYTHING is better than that.

The only thing I can think is that despite what was said, they really don't believe in KP8. Hence Wilson and their reported continued pursuit of Rudolph. In that case, they were already set back 2-3 years. Under those circumstances, if it were me, I'd roll with KP8 and see whether he could put it together or if we were picking in the top 10 next year. I think though that they feel some obligation to Cam, TJ and Minkah (if not the fans) to put a good team around them and not tank.
That's why I didn't like the move. It's short sighted for a team that has a lot more needs than just QB. I believe KP was done as soon as this was announced and Wilson is nothing but a short term band aid to keep the mediocrity intact. Just another wasted1st rd pick.

The team really needs an influx of young talent/depth. I'd much rather they sink with KP, than draft in the mid-late 20s again with Wilson. The only way this season is a success is if there is legitimate competition and the light finally comes on for Pickett or Wilson wins them a title. If KP is a bust, you're overpaying or reaching for a QB next year with Wilson on the roster.

While I feel for some of the aging players, the defense is one of the reasons they haven't won anything meaningful in awhile.