• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

So I finally got around to seeing Bohemian Rhapsody....

Stoney

Reaction score
And although I wasn't bowled over by it, it did raise a question: What effect did the $100mil+ have on famine in Somalia?

All those celebs got to stroke each other and pat themselves on that back about how they were changing the world, but what did it really accomplish?

And although I wasn't bowled over by it, it did raise a question: What effect did the $100mil+ have on famine in Somalia?

All those celebs got to stroke each other and pat themselves on that back about how they were changing the world, but what did it really accomplish?

It got them enough money to move to Europe or here and murder more people.

So apparently a lot of the money went to the Ethiopian dictator who used it to buy weapons and crush his opposition.

“People are dying because of their government,” says Jason Clay, an anthropologist studying famine in Ethiopia. “And what groups like Live Aid are doing is helping the government set up a system that is going to cause people to die for decades to come.”

“Western governments and humanitarian groups like Live Aid are fueling an operation that will be described with hindsight in a few years time as one of the greatest slaughters in the history of the twentieth century,” says Dr. Claude Malhuret, whose relief agency, Medicins sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders), has been kicked out of Ethiopia for speaking up against “the most massive violations of human rights we have seen in recent ?ears.”

https://www.spin.com/featured/live-aid-the-terrible-truth-ethiopia-bob-geldof-feature/

It was a good idea on paper...but, "breaking news"...third world governments are corrupt as ****.

I fell asleep, so I guess I didn't get to that part. The movie sucked.

I liked it for the most part although I thought the guy who played Mercury wasn't the best actor. Sounded like he was reading his lines off of a piece of paper.

So apparently a lot of the money went to the Ethiopian dictator who used it to buy weapons and crush his opposition.

“People are dying because of their government,” says Jason Clay, an anthropologist studying famine in Ethiopia. “And what groups like Live Aid are doing is helping the government set up a system that is going to cause people to die for decades to come.”

“Western governments and humanitarian groups like Live Aid are fueling an operation that will be described with hindsight in a few years time as one of the greatest slaughters in the history of the twentieth century,” says Dr. Claude Malhuret, whose relief agency, Medicins sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders), has been kicked out of Ethiopia for speaking up against “the most massive violations of human rights we have seen in recent ?ears.”

https://www.spin.com/featured/live-aid-the-terrible-truth-ethiopia-bob-geldof-feature/

WTF? Did not know this.

I liked the movie a lot. They made an honest bio-pic instead of turning it into a gay rights movie. That’s why it made a ton of money and the Elton John movie that came out recently was a bomb. Apparently the Elton John movie was just packed with gay sex and focused on that rather than what people want to see which is the story of his music career.

I didn’t see the Elton John flick but it sounds like they did it similar to Alexander, the movie about Alexander the Great which spent most of the flick as a gay soap opera and exploring his supposed mommy and daddy issues. Yeah, just what I wanted to see.

Did you catch that the record exec who hated the song Bohemian Rhapsody was played by Mike Meyers? Probably not because he was in makeup. I just happened to catch it in the end credits. Very fitting to put him in there because Wayne’s World is what ultimately made Bohemian Rhapsody a hit song years after it’s release.

Liked the movie. Saw it in Vegas mainly because a hotel called "South Point," which is ... you guessed it, south of the strip, has a movie theater where more seasoned citizens can watch first-run features for $4.00 per person. Yep, wife and I saw the movie for a combined $8.00, and not disappointed. Very much enjoyed the re-enactment of the Live Aid performance. Incredibly well done.

Oh, as to the topic, I offer the following:

Q. What do you get when you save 1 million starving Africans?
A. 4 million starving Africans.

Did you catch that the record exec who hated the song Bohemian Rhapsody was played by Mike Meyers? Probably not because he was in makeup. I just happened to catch it in the end credits. Very fitting to put him in there because Wayne’s World is what ultimately made Bohemian Rhapsody a hit song years after it’s release.

wow. no, didnt catch that. will have to watch it again.

I hate Queen. Just everything about that band, every "hit" they had, is just awful music in my opinion.

Of all the "popular" bands I am most at odds with vs. public sentiment, Queen seems to be #1 that I just can't find a redeeming quality.

I hate Queen. Just everything about that band, every "hit" they had, is just awful music in my opinion.

Of all the "popular" bands I am most at odds with vs. public sentiment, Queen seems to be #1 that I just can't find a redeeming quality.

I can tolerate Flash Gordon. I loved that movie as a kid. And Another One Bites The Dust. For me, it's Rush that makes me want to carve out my ear drums.

Neither suck as bad as Springsteen

Sent from my VS988 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Born to Run is an awesome song. The "Born in the USA" album is quite good. I think Bruce needs to stick with this birthing thing. Instead, he goes pro-abortion.

Dude, look at your album sales!!

To each his own regardless of his politics I never enjoyed his music. Sounds like he's chewing on a piece of sandpaper

Sent from my VS988 using Steeler Nation mobile app

He definitely has a "gravelly" voice. Then again, I thought Joe Strummer (Clash) was a great singer and he makes Springsteen sound like Sinatra.

I like Rush. I like Springsteen.

There is just something about Queen. It's not just Freddie Mercury, who I just can't understand why people adore so much. But there songs are just stupid. I HATE Bohemia Rhapsody. And not only did I hate it the first time around, I hated it MORE when it got popular because of the overrated Mike Myers and Dana Carvey movie (which just does not hold up over time at all). "We are the Champions" is the most overplayed trash song ever used EVERY time a team wins something. "Another One Bites the Dust" might be okay but it's still dumb to think of Freddy Mercury singing that.

Queen is a band that just doesn't die. No one cares about there music and Mike Myers makes them famous again. No one cares again and now a biopic/movie that's nominated for awards brings the whole band back to life (God, were they FAWNED over during the movie awards season). Jesus, now they are on tour with that terrible Adam Lambert as lead singer milking MORE money out of really bad songs.

I just don't understand it.

There is just something about Queen. It's not just Freddie Mercury, who I just can't understand why people adore so much. But there songs are just stupid. I HATE Bohemia Rhapsody. And not only did I hate it the first time around, I hated it MORE when it got popular because of the overrated Mike Myers and Dana Carvey movie (which just does not hold up over time at all). "We are the Champions" is the most overplayed trash song ever used EVERY time a team wins something. "Another One Bites the Dust" might be okay but it's still dumb to think of Freddy Mercury singing that.

Queen is a band that just doesn't die. No one cares about there music and Mike Myers makes them famous again. No one cares again and now a biopic/movie that's nominated for awards brings the whole band back to life (God, were they FAWNED over during the movie awards season). Jesus, now they are on tour with that terrible Adam Lambert as lead singer milking MORE money out of really bad songs.

tenor.gif

I largely agree with this. I don't hate the songs but they aren't as great as a lot of people make them out to be. Also not sure where the idea that very long songs weren't a part of the 1970... There were tons of 6 minute songs in the 70s. BR maybe longer than 6 minutes but long songs happened a lot in the 70s. Hell Pink Floyd had songs that didn't start for almost 6 minutes. I remember Gordon Lightfoot's "Edmund Fitzgerald" was over 6 minutes. Anyway I don't get it.

Also I think Queen is really a front for Mercury. People love "Queen"? No, they love Mercury because he had AIDS and died too young. Which happens a lot to rock and roll people. Then people get nostalgic thinking they were more than what they were at the time. If Mercury were a straight guy that died of a cocaine overdose none of this would be happening. Which is why they came out with an Elton John move not long ago. The problem is that he is still alive and didn't die tragically because he was busting guys in the seat.