• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers and Melvin Ingram Appear Ready to Split

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Reports came out last week that the Pittsburgh Steelers had received a trade offer from the Kansas City Chiefs for Melvin Ingram. The team reportedly declined the trade from Kansas City, not willing to trade to another AFC contender.

They may be reconsidering before the Tuesday trade deadline.

According to ESPN senior reporter Jeremy Fowler the Steelers and Ingram may be ready to mutually part ways.

The Steelers are elevating former first round pick Taco Charlton from the practice squad to take the place of Ingram who is out with a groin injury.

It’s believed that the Steelers coaching staff is confident in Charltons ability to fill the third outside linebacker role that Ingram has filled thus far.

Steelers see Taco Charlton – a former first-round pick activated from Pittsburgh’s practice squad – as a potential viable third OLB for coming weeks, which would help facilitate a Melvin Ingram trade. Both sides are open to a trade at this point from what I’m hearing.

— Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) October 30, 2021

Ingram has flashed brilliance, but was mostly ineffective when starting for TJ Watt or Alex Highsmith for an entire game. At 33 years old he’s best suited for a situational role, but Ingram must believe he still has enough in the tank for a bigger role.

Coach Mike Tomlin was asked about Ingram on Friday after practice, but he would only say he had spoken to Ingram about the situation.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

what round draft pick would you all want for him?

They'll get a 3rd at most.

Uh well buh bye Melvin, thanks for nothing dude.

Seems like only yesterday I was reading quotes out of camp from Ingram, about how much he was loving the culture of this franchise, and how cool it is being a Pittsbugh Steeler. So much for that, eh Melvin?

A 5th at best for Ingram. If they do get more, as someone else mentioned, it's highway robbery.

Seems like only yesterday I was reading quotes out of camp from Ingram, about how much he was loving the culture of this franchise, and how cool it is being a Pittsbugh Steeler. So much for that, eh Melvin?
These vets wanting out due to playing time. SMH.You knew when you signed it could be limited rotational. Want more? Earn it and shut up.

Reports came out last week that the Pittsburgh Steelers had received a trade offer from the Kansas City Chiefs for Melvin Ingram. The team reportedly declined the trade from Kansas City, not willing to trade to another AFC contender.
Another?
News flash, you're not a contender this year.

I think the Steelers will try to back fill some of those lost late round picks. My guess is a 5th with a conditional 6th. But I’d love to see a straight up 4th or better. I think Ingram is being unrealistic to think he should start. He did squat when TJ was out. Being a situational pass rusher is his NFL role now. Can probably do that for 2-3 more years. But he’ll breakdown quick if he has to start.

They are not getting a third so get that out of your mind folks. At best they will get back what Seattle fleeced them for with Witherspoon.

They are not getting a third so get that out of your mind folks. At best they will get back what Seattle fleeced them for with Witherspoon.
How do you think we got fleeced w/ the Witherspoon acquisition??? He should be 'next in line' to succeed Joe Haden after this season. We shall see...

This is hard to get, he played well and now not even activated. Tomlin really can pull the bunches, Harris sitting at home and saying does not surprise me one bit when it comes to Tomlin and how he handles Players. Keeps Ebron and Snell around JU JU wanted gone and lets a defensive player go where we need all the help we can get.

This is hard to get, he played well and now not even activated. Tomlin really can pull the bunches, Harris sitting at home and saying does not surprise me one bit when it comes to Tomlin and how he handles Players. Keeps Ebron and Snell around JU JU wanted gone and lets a defensive player go where we need all the help we can get.
This is hard to read, but I'll only address the first line. Ingram is hurt, he's not a healthy scratch.

Ingram is a role player who has 10 solo tackles and 1 sack over his last 13 games (two seasons). I think a sixth is probably the best the Steelers could hope for, but given his contract, maybe they can swindle a 5th or get teams bidding against each other and miraculously get a 4th.

Why not just keep him for depth, and get a comp pick for him next year. Probably would be the same
The Steelers traded away their 4th, 5th, and 6th picks next year. I believe they have two in the 7th and are predicted to get a 3rd and 5th comp pick next year. Given the likely QB change next year, they probably want as many draft assets as possible to continue to rebuild the roster. They also have to be realistic that they aren't winning a championship this year. Try to max out of the value of a part-time player if you can.

My God Man ... You do realize Tomlin doesn't make these decisions in a vacuum, right? I mean, to hear some of y'all, Tomlin is the HC, GM, Owner and Anti-Christ all rolled up in one and roaming the Steelers sideline. Ebron was kept because they needed three TEs and weren't sure what they would have in 'Muth as a rookie, Gentry as far as development .... and who else was going to be the 3rd TE? Snell was a head scratcher. Bud was leaving (PERIOD). Ingram hasn't played as well since the first game and if you can get something for him, do it. Do you think there's going to be a cavernous drop off from Ingram to Taco as far as a rotational depth piece?

But anyway, Colbert is the GM ... He has responsibilities in personnel decisions also. ARll is the owner. He has a lot of say in personnel decisions.
I'll say it loudly for those in the back ... Tomlin, for all his faults, does not make personnel/roster decisions unilaterally.

Have you been drinking early??? I'm not understanding your reference to "Harris" and the rest of the post is making me sober...