• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers GM Colbert Finally Gave Some Absolute Truth On Stephon Tuitt’s 2022 Return To Football

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
So, do we finally have an update on Pittsburgh Steelers defensive lineman Stephon Tuitt? With a little reading between the lines, it seems we do. On Wednesday outgoing Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert joined the 93.7 The Fan PM team for a conversation about all things Steelers. One of those topics was on the return of Tuitt.

Steelers Still Rank As 1 Of The Worst Teams In The AFC After The Draft According To ESPN

The Steelers were horrible about the run in 2021. A blind man could’ve seen that. They were without Tyson Alualu who suffered a season ending injury in week 2. They were without Stephon Tuitt as he recovered mentally from the loss of his brother who was tragically killed after being struck by a car, and because of a knee injury he suffered early in the summer.

Steelers Tuitt and Wormley

Getty Images

Tuitt returned to the Steelers South Side facility one time during the 2021 season. But he never practiced with the team and was gone within a few days of his return. Tuitt reportedly wasn’t in any type of shape to have a chance to come off the injured reserve and contribute last year.

So, here we are in May of 2022 and we still haven’t heard a definite answer on Tuitt. But then Colbert was asked Wednesday about the Steelers rush defense by the 93.7 team. They asked how the Steelers planned to rebound against the run in 2022, because the only outside addition to the defensive front was third round pick DeMarvin Leal. Leal is lean at 285 pounds, and will likely be asked to put on some weight during his rookie season so that he can develop into a good run stopper. This was Colbert’s response:

Referencing back to Devin, adding Myles Jack, getting Tyson Alualu back in the mix, Cam [Heyward] back, potentially having Stephon [Tuitt] get back up to speed and be with us.

Interesting enough Colbert brought up Tuitt on his own. So, they followed up “is it assured Kevin that Tuitt’s coming back? And when do you need to know?”

I think that we have always given him the space he needs to maneuver through his knee injury. Of course, he had a personal issue that he was working his way through, and we’ve supported them. We’ve been in communication. It’s all been positive. But again, once you miss a season like that, you have to determine what kind of player will be coming back, and that’s what we’re anxious to see. And again, we’re going to support that the whole time.
tuittcam-1024x512.jpg

Cam Heyward and Stephon Tuitt were a dominate force from 2019 to 2020 / Next Gen Stats

There isn’t any way that Colbert, and Mike Tomlin would be just praying that Tuitt is going to walk into the South Side in a few weeks and be in playing shape, right? While that information up above is the most we’ve gotten about Tuitt in a long there still wasn’t a clear answer on what they know. What we do know is that the Steelers have salary cap, had more salary cap as they headed into free agency and they didn’t bring in a defensive lineman.

Connecting the dots tells me that they know Tuitt is going to come into town in shape. It’s impossible to know how rusty he’s going to be, but it seems like they’re betting on Tuitt being back to normal when he hits the field. Let’s hope, cause they’re going to need him to be at that level.

LISTEN TO THE WHOLE SHOW HERE

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Too much mystery involved. I am glad they added to the position. Because at this point I don't think we can expect to see the old Tuitt back.

Personally, I think he should have been cut and replaced for this year and that still might happen. He MUST show up to the 1st OTA and in damn good shape or they should be telling him he is being cut. There are no excuses for him at this point.

Personally, I think he should have been cut and replaced for this year and that still might happen. He MUST show up to the 1st OTA and in damn good shape or they should be telling him he is being cut. There are no excuses for him at this point.
I think it's that Designated June 1st cut that we will find out.

Salute the nation

I understand the sudden loss of his brother but we all go through those horrible losses in our lives and you just must move on. Sit down with him and just come to an understanding that it’s a strong possibility that they are moving on from him if he’s not ready for OTAs.

Time to move on.

Damn people. The man lost his brother but worse the person who killed him hasn't been found, that can really mess with you. I am totally in support of how they have handled this and for him getting every opportunity to come back and play. Don't think for a second players around the league don't notice how player friendly we have been with Tuitt and Shazier previously. By doing the right thing for the player despite the issues it creates financially and competitively they will benefit in the long run with their standing with players.

What he has had to go through is awful.
Like unspeakably bad...
But this is a business after all. At some point he's got to either come back or be released/cut/wtfever

The article I read (sorry not good at linking) seemed to talk about the knee still. ACL reconstruction is a year give or take. I don't see how this could be about knee. But it's his mental health. I think we should all forget about it wish him the best and expect he will and should be cut at the point where maximum cap savings happens. If somehow he wants and can play then great.

Damn people. The man lost his brother but worse the person who killed him hasn't been found, that can really mess with you. I am totally in support of how they have handled this and for him getting every opportunity to come back and play. Don't think for a second players around the league don't notice how player friendly we have been with Tuitt and Shazier previously. By doing the right thing for the player despite the issues it creates financially and competitively they will benefit in the long run with their standing with players.
I am all for their support up to present day, and all for continuing emotional support for however long needed. But from a professional standpoint that doesn't mean keeping him under a pricey contract if he isn't up to speed. If they want to restructure and lower this year's hit down ok with that too. But something will have to give and that is not a slight on his situation. I wouldn't put a limit on grieving , I still feel for him just as much as when I heard the news.

I am all for their support up to present day, and all for continuing emotional support for however long needed. But from a professional standpoint that doesn't mean keeping him under a pricey contract if he isn't up to speed. If they want to restructure and lower this year's hit down ok with that too. But something will have to give and that is not a slight on his situation. I wouldn't put a limit on grieving , I still feel for him just as much as when I heard the news.
100%. Human part I will be in his corner without limit. The business part will take of itself.

We should all wait and see what condition he is in. If he is in good shape he will have a years less wear on the body and be better healed up. I am, like always, optimistic about his return. If he is even close to his potential from the past he is worth every penny. Getting our vets back and having new blood should do wonders for Devin Bush.

We should all wait and see what condition he is in. If he is in good shape he will have a years less wear on the body and be better healed up. I am, like always, optimistic about his return. If he is even close to his potential from the past he is worth every penny. Getting our vets back and having new blood should do wonders for Devin Bush.
Of course they are in a wait and see. If he can get back at 100 percent nobody should complain about him being back. Especially a player that is solid as Tuitt when healthy. In that scenerio he is worth every penny I agree. In less than that revert back to the previous post.

As far as Alu his backup depth really hasn't been upgraded /addressed. Besides RT and RB I hope they are considering it.