• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Top 3 Defensive Line Prospects With Stephon Tuitt Status Unclear

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Stephon Tuitt is a key piece to the Pittsburgh Steelers defense. His absence in 2021 had a profound effect on the unit last season. He is a top tier defensive end in the NFL and the Steelers could not replace him. When Tyson Alualu was lost for the year, the defensive line became the weakness of the defense. Chris Wormley, Isaiahh Loudermilk and Montravius Adams were inconsistent as replacements and the Steelers suffered because of it.

Mike Tomlin grins when he's asked about Stephon Tuitt — a question he's come to expect every time we talk to him — and says there's no update, but Tuitt is "doing well."

— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) April 25, 2022

I am a huge fan of Tuitt and was excited when they brought him in from Notre Dame and I certainly hope he returns to the field and his Pro Bowl form, but with the 20th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, Pittsburgh will have multiple defensive line options. Alualu is 34 years old, and he is a good fit for the Steelers, but coming off a season-ending injury, Pittsburgh should at the very least be looking for the long-term answer in the interior of the line.

Top 3 Defensive Line Targets for Steelers​

1. Jordan Davis​

Steelers Draft Target

Steven Limentani / ISI Photos / Getty Images

He is the generational talent available in this draft. He was a two-down player at Georgia, but I believe that was because of the depth of the National Champions more than his ability. He has already slimmed down to 340 and ran a 4.78 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine. Ideally, he would play at 325/330, but realistically, how many nose tackles are on the field on third and long in nickel and dime packages? He is the the only player I would endorse the Steelers trading up to get in this draft.

2. George Karlaftis​

Steelers Draft Target

Photo by Quinn Harris/Getty Images

The Purdue defensive end is a fantastic athlete who at 6-4, 275 pounds, is also lightning fast. He ran a 4.77 40 and while Jermaine Johnson should also be available, I don’t think he translates to a 3-4 defensive end at his size. Karlaftis is considered an elite talent as a pass rusher, but will need to work on his run defense at the next level. He could allow the Steelers to ease Tuitt back into the rotation on the defensive line and occasionally play inside like he did at college. In the loaded AFC North, having insurance for Tuitt and Alex Highsmith could be a very smart pick.

3. Logan Hall​

Steelers Draft Prospect

Godofredo A. Vásquez, Houston Chronicle / Staff photographer

The Houston Cougars prospect has been rising on draft boards since the season ended. He is 6 foot 6 inches, 282 pounds, and has demonstrated the flexibility at the college level to play anywhere on the defensive line. He is not as fast as Davis and Karlaftis, but his best asset may be his bully mentality and his heavy hands will frustrate opponents which could bait them into aggressive mistakes. He is an above average run defender and plays with a very nasty edge that the Steelers could use going forward.

Head coach Mike Tomlin thus far in his career has not used words like “rebuild.” In what is sure to be a pass-happy AFC North, adding a force on the defensive line versus a reach at the quarterback position in the first round could be the key decision for not just next season, but the near future. The strengths of this draft are on the defensive side of the ball and the Steelers who have historically drafted well should know better and I believe they do.

Why the Steelers should not be interested in Baker Mayfield

When you hear experts saying that a prospect in this class is the most NFL ready of a group and comparing their ceilings to Mac Jones, it is not a ringing endorsement of the class. If Mitch Trubisky and Baker Mayfield were in this class of quarterbacks, they would be the only two quarterbacks selected in the first round of this draft. The Steelers have the better option on the roster this year. If Trubisky is not the answer, then the 2023 NFL Draft and quarterback carousel are better options.

What do you think, Steeler Nation? Please comment below or follow me on Twitter @thebubbasq.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Finally an intelligent and well written article by the SN staff

for the record, while I would love this pick from purely UH fanboy reasons, I am not sure I would take Hall at #20. I see him as a 2nd rounder (much like my opinion of Payton Turner last year), but if a team thinks enough of him he could go in the 1st. (Like Turner did to the Saints)

I do think Hall will be a good DL for the right team He can line up inside at the 3 or move out to the 5 technique and still be disruptive. He is quick and uses his well and has the strength to bull rush interior OL

Last edited:
If the front office truly doesn't know the status of Tuitt by now, then it is time to move on and address the line early.
This isn't a knock on Tuitt either, because even if he does decide to eventually return, will his heart be in it?

any of the three instead of the RB playing QB

Does someone have a list of true 3-4 DE prospects on this draft?

If the front office truly doesn't know the status of Tuitt by now, then it is time to move on and address the line early.
This isn't a knock on Tuitt either, because even if he does decide to eventually return, will his heart be in it?

The "tell tale" sign will be June 1 cuts. The STEELERS need to be monitoring his actions now and up to that cut deadline. If he is truly invested on a return he will be in top shape and well prepared. If not, it is easy to tell by his body tone and if not satisfactory he should and will be cut. We can't go into season as re-active but we need to go in PRO-ACTIVE.

The STEELERS should be monitoring Tuitt as we speak and should already know the direction he is taking. If it is a wait and see demise, then the STEELERS have already failed in this decision.

salute the nation

have you looked at Fordy's big board thread pinned to the top of the forum?

Ford puts a lot of work into his big board and it's a good asset for us minions.!

Thanks Ford

Salute the3 nation

have you looked at Fordy's big board thread pinned to the top of the forum?
Of course but there you see DTs that might be 3-4 DE or NT or 4-3 DE together , also you see EDGE players that might be tweeners that with some weight could become true 3-4 DE like karlaftis in the OP.

That's why I'm asking for a list of true candidates that fit our D scheme

Considering Davis is probably gone, I like Travis Jones for the middle of the DL, like Hall many project these two early second round and might be a bit early at 20. If the FO thinks replacing Tuitt is more important than a stud at NT, screw it, take Karlaftis or Hall at 20 if they think these guys will play significantly, soon and for along time.

I'm tired of these top 5 at each position or top 50 rankings. Once you get by the first 15 in most drafts it's probably pretty even when comparing guys especially 20 through 40 and their success in the NFL.

If they take a guy like Daxton Hill, Lewis Cine, Penning at 20, I'm fine with that as well. All three of those IMO will be good players, and maybe better than good.

Just take the available player that your highest on at NT, DT, S, CB, WR, Ol.

I should revise the above that Karlaftis is a tweener who is too small to play tackle/end on a three four. He would need to gain twenty pounds at least.

Logan Hall is interesting… he can set the edge on the weak side all by himself which is critical in modern defenses and with his build 6-6 280ish can really get after the quarterback… you can’t block him with a tightend or fullback… is he being over looked? Sam Williams ol miss same category. Sam Williams will go in 2 or 3 round 6-4 265 he did at ol miss that they say walker from Georgia “might” do as a pro both same about same size 4.5ish speed Williams a tick faster… they have him in 3rd or low 2nd he’d perfect bookend to Watt… either Hall or Williams would.. been interesting to how they go on some of this.

Sorry but Tuitt should be gone. "ease Tuitt back into the lineup"? What? Tuitt should be ready to play yesterday. He has one huge cap-hit year left on his contract. If he isn't going to play at his top form, then we need someone else who can. They should have already made a decision on Tuitt. Giving him this much slack is just crazy business.

We are desperately thin at DL especially when you consider Heyward is turning 33 next week. I hope a decent one falls to us in the first. If we don't shore up the position, teams will exploit it and our $29 million/year investment we made last year will go for naught.