• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Vs Falcons 2024 wk 1 Gameday Thread

The conservatism has more to do with Tomlin. Tomlin can say whatever he wants as far as next man up, but that game plan was tailored to Tomlin’s risk aversion with almost no passes to the middle of the field.

3rd year and counting and the middle of the field is STILL lava. Tomlin’s avoid the middle conservative philosophy aligns with Fields’ and Wilson’s style/skill sets.

I predict many more 1 score games
Are these one score games Steeler wins???

He looked pretty good in his brief play in the final game. He is just a more complete player at this point. He can help Justin by playing and letting him absorb. Justin’s issue is confidence in his drop back and reads. He needs to work every practice on three steps and throw. Trust his plays and anticipate. Ohio State spoils guys with receivers always being open.
I’d like them to use the Whiz’s early approach with Ben (both QBs with big arms and scramble ability)

Simple half field reads based off run heavy play action offense and get the ball out without forcing the QB to read the whole field, they’re at a similar stage of developing comparing the two

This would seem to align with Tomlin’s risk aversion style and Smith’s run heavy style

Two back in the backfield at times would be a nice add too

I think Fields is well more polished than Pickett was and they road with Pickett. Let Wilson help coach him in practice and during the game. Again...Wilson isn't our future but Fields possibly could be. Ride the future now. Why wait? We won with Pickett. Fields is more athletic and polished. Fields was a TO machine. Kill the Bears. He already has grown in that area. Keep pounding it onto his head day in and day out. Let Wilson whisper into Fields ear.
I think we can win it all with Wilson. I may be delusional but if we can find a second receiver and get the rest of the OL back we can go long way. Fields isn’t fundamentally sound enough yet.

It worked. Any gripes???
Not from me. Fields threw some nice passes, ran the ball pretty well and had zero turnovers. We won as an underdog on the road with what is essentially our back-up QB.

I'll take that anyday.

My optimism is at a reasonable level. I'm assuming they will not take two sacks and a turnover and a 50+ yd pass away in the same game. With Wilson making basic throws with better timing we should be decent.

I think we can win it all with Wilson. I may be delusional but if we can find a second receiver and get the rest of the OL back we can go long way. Fields isn’t fundamentally sound enough yet.
If we can win it all with Wilson then why not Fields....since we are being delusional and all?

So sitting Fields this entire season to learn from Wilson will magically make Fields fundamentally sound going into next season? If Fields was under conttact for 2 seasons I would be for that but he isn't. Both are FAs at the end of the seaaon.

Anyways....we all know if Wilson is healthy next week he will start. Should he? A bunch think so. I have always been on the side of the fence for Fields. Just for the fact we need to see if he is our future.

really-tiny-bikini-gif.gif
Sorry I missed the game thread. Was on the PA turnpike.

If we can win it all with Wilson then why not Fields....since we are being delusional and all?

So sitting Fields this entire season to learn from Wilson will magically make Fields fundamentally sound going into next season? If Fields was under conttact for 2 seasons I would be for that but he isn't. Both are FAs at the end of the seaaon.

Anyways....we all know if Wilson is healthy next week he will start. Should he? A bunch think so. I have always been on the side of the fence for Fields. Just for the fact we need to see if he is our future.
Because Fields isn’t remotely capable of it, yet. They are in different zip codes in being game ready. Fields can’t do the things Wilson can do in the pocket. He just can’t.

That is quite the tint on those Steelers-colored sunglasses you're wearing

Because Fields isn’t remotely capable of it, yet. They are in different zip codes in being game ready. Fields can’t do the things Wilson can do in the pocket. He just can’t.
And Fields brings his legs to the game where Wilson can't...at 35 and now has a calf injury. How about this..... Let Wilson sit for a few weeks to completely heal.

You think Wilson is our savior. I think he is just a 35 yo old QB on the downside of his career which two NFL teams paid to get rid of. So while he might be a more polished player perhaps....he isn't our future. And I certainly don't think he is that far above Fields where he is the difference of us getting to the SB or not. If we make it to the SB.....it will be by a entire team effort. These QBs won't be putting the team on their shoulders and carrying them there. That is laughable. If we get to the SB it will be a large part by the way our D played today and if they can continue to play like that for the entire season. Seems we will be playing a conservative offense again this season.

And Fields brings his legs to the game where Wilson can't...at 35 and now has a calf injury. How about this..... Let Wilson sit for a few weeks to completely heal.

You think Wilson is our savior. I think he is just a 35 yo old QB on the downside of his career which two NFL teams paid to get rid of. So while he might be a more polished player perhaps....he isn't our future. And I certainly don't think he is that far above Fields where he is the difference of us getting to the SB or not. If we make it to the SB.....it will be by an entire team effort. These QBs won't be putting the team on their shoulders and carrying them there. That is laughable. If we get to the SB it will be a large part by the way our D played today and if they can continue to play like that for the entire season. Seems we will be playing a conservative offense again this season.
I never said Savior. I think he is the better QB at this point. He is better suited to get us to the promised land. Not because he will carry us but because he will be more steady and likely to move us in a consistent manner. I agree Fields should play until Wilson is healthy. Maybe he starts to get it but this game showed he doesn’t grasp making reads in the pocket yet. I think you misunderstood my point. He also has championship experience.

QB play wasn’t much better than Pickett. Feet better but passing barely better. Defense can’t keep this up all season. If Wilson is healthy better try him to see if he can get the passing game going because guys were open but either bad pass or just not seen.

Win is a win but this is not sustainable. We need more from the QB position.