• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Taliban 2, USA 1

Other than Reagan, which US President, since WWII ended, has not sucked at foreign policy?
As much as people disliked him, Carter has long been recognized as an excellent foreign policy guy. Domestic policy, well...

I will pass on Trump, but JFK ****** up the Bay of Pigs and handling the USSR, W was boss for 9/11 and responsible for invading and staying in Afghanistan.......when the bad guys were in Pakistan, funded by Saudis, and only sometimes hid out in Afghanistan because they could hide amongst the tribal folks. And Iraq....what was that really about....because the bad guys are still next door in Iran.
One could argue that JFK's failure as far as the Bay of Pigs was more domestic/internal than foreign. Kennedy simply couldn't control or even rein in the CIA, who were hell bent on getting rid of Castro AND getting into a war with the Russkies as they believed the U.S. had the nuclear upper hand at the time.

They certainly humiliated Kennedy, that much is true.

I don't think so. A whole lot of countries are happy we have a pushover figurehead in the Oval Office. Starting with China, Afghanistan, and Mexico, followed closely by the EU.

You mean the pushover figurehead who weakened our western alliances, disrupted NATO, bedded down with despots & dictators, caused massive mayhem and uncertainty domestically, got impeached twice, didn't accept the results of free & fair elections, incited a violent attack on the US Capitol, negotiated with terrorists, legitimized the Taliban & freed their prisoners, became the laughingstock & point of ridicule around the world, exchanged love letters w N. Korea, all done to Vladimir Putin's great satisfaction and glee? That pushover figurehead? Thankfully, he's no longer in the WH. He should be sitting in a cell in Leavenworth in an orange jumpsuit.

You mean the pushover figurehead who weakened our western alliances, disrupted NATO, bedded down with despots & dictators, caused massive mayhem and uncertainty domestically, got impeached twice, didn't accept the results of free & fair elections, incited a violent attack on the US Capitol, negotiated with terrorists, legitimized the Taliban & freed their prisoners, became the laughingstock & point of ridicule around the world, exchanged love letters w N. Korea, all done to Vladimir Putin's great satisfaction and glee? That pushover figurehead? Thankfully, he's no longer in the WH. He should be sitting in a cell in Leavenworth in an orange jumpsuit.
Sometimes you get it right. Sometimes you're still an idiot.

OK I laughed at Talibiden. TaliXiden works too.
He was high as ****. He was practically coherent. How much adderall you think they pumped in him to keep him lucid for that long. (Note, I couldn't bear to watch more than a few minutes of that asshat.)

As much as people disliked him, Carter has long been recognized as an excellent foreign policy guy. Domestic policy, well..
Carter's Presidency is noted above all for the foreign policy failures...it was probably the mishandling of the Iranian situation leading to the hostages that gave Reagan the election....not sure I've heard of the successes......Charlie Wilson's War does a good job at summarizing.....you can even skip to the last 60 seconds to get the perfect ending.

We've seen what you get when you train Afghan forces for 20 years, so how many more years would you have liked US taxpayers to pay for more training?

Carter's Presidency is noted above all for the foreign policy failures...it was probably the mishandling of the Iranian situation leading to the hostages that gave Reagan the election....not sure I've heard of the successes......Charlie Wilson's War does a good job at summarizing.....you can even skip to the last 60 seconds to get the perfect ending.
Well... The fact that Bush Sr. negotiated behind the White House's back to delay the hostage release until Reagan's inauguration might be seen as less than "American Hostage" friendly.

Amazing, every single statement you made is the opposite of reality. I know you too well to think you are this ignorant of reality this is pure trolling.

We've seen what you get when you train Afghan forces for 20 years, so how many more years would you have liked US taxpayers to pay for more training?
Trump would have had us out more or less bloodlessly with a negotiated withdrawal. It sucks that it was needed but e see the results plainly of not doing it that way. Trump has an amazing record of actually being right.

Last edited:
Well lessee, we've had troops in Germany, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Guam, and Okinawa for 75 years which neither party had a problem with, so there is that.

It does, but she should be asking that question to the mighty Afghan military, that either turned tail and ran or defected to the Taliban. I have so many conflicted feelings and my mind goes about 100 different directions when discussing this topic. I was there 4 times. Wasn't sure what it was for, especially the last time, but I really don't know now. I lost friends down there, and saw enough others loaded onto helicopters in flag draped body bags.

Still, we couldn't stay there forever. Afghanistan had to take responsibility for their own defense and security and they didn't. If their own country isn't worth fighting for to them, then why should it be to us?
I get it, but this certainly seems like a catastrophe of an exit plan. I have no insight into whether it was avoidable, but I certainly like to believe we can do, or could have done, much, much better.

It's not the withdrawal. It was well past time for that. The execution and lack of contingency planning seems to be what has everyone disappointed.

I get it, but this certainly seems like a catastrophe of an exit plan. I have no insight into whether it was avoidable, but I certainly like to believe we can do, or could have done, much, much better.
I can't disagree. I don't think we should have left the way we did. There are two reasons I think this unfolded the way it did.

1) Trump wanted out of Afghanistan. He wanted out bad and he wanted out now. He felt it would be seen as a victory and as such, began a pretty hasty withdrawal.

2) Biden and his group are idiots. They could have pumped the brakes on this, made an assessment as to whether Trump's plan was even feasible, and even re-engage with the Taliban if necessary. They **** canned every plan, program, and policy that Trump had in place. Except, apparently, this one. This withdrawal should have been done slowly and deliberately over a period of a year or so, enough time to remove sensitive military equipment, destroy anything the Taliban could possibly use to their advantage, shut down the embassy, process visa's and get people out as accomplishment of those various tasks allowed. But no, even after extending the withdrawal deadline by 90 days, they still ****** it all up.

And this is what has me believing that had Trump still been President, it wouldn't have been much different. He was operating on a hastier deadline of May 1st. It was too fast. They would have had even less time to do the things required to exit. Now, who knows what communications happened, and what new orders came down after Jan 20th, but I think it ends up in the same disaster we saw here. Just my opinion, because we will never know.

I knew Americans were still there, but had no idea how many:

**** Biden, his administration and every dumbass that voted for that complete jackass.
Nobody wants to lord things over others, but most of the these Biden voters need their faces rubbed in pretty good here to see that elections have consequences.