• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The @#$! Disney Thread

Tim Steelersfan

Flog's Daddy
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope Florida drives them right out of the state. Disney is just one cog in the overall machine (educators, hollywood, etc) aimed at indoctrinating our children.

DeSantis threatens Disney’s special status in Florida​

Ron DeSantis on Tuesday said that the state’s legislature will consider terminating the special status of a municipal district operated by Walt Disney Co., the Wall Street Journal reports.

It’s an escalation in the weeks-long feud between the Republican governor and Disney.

“We are expanding the call of what the state legislature will be considering this week,” DeSantis said, per Bloomberg. “They also will be considering termination of all special districts that were enacted in Florida prior to 1968, and that includes the Reedy Creek Improvement District.”

This turned into....BOOM!

Florida Senate votes 23-16 to end Disney’s special tax privilege

This may not be a popular opinion with this group, but I'm going to say I disagree with what is being done. The fact is this only became a consideration because of the stance Disney is taking in opposition. To me this is a dangerous road to travel. Should governments wield punishments against those that don't agree with them?

Look, I don't like Disney's take at all, but l also don't agree with the "State" using punitive tactics like this either. Because let's face it - their stance is the only reason Desantis and company are doing this. Wouldn't even be a thought if Disney had not put it out there and then they would still be holding their special privileges because they were either in agreement or didn't openly oppose.

Not sure about the rest of you, but I don't want govt. that swings that power around on either side.

This may not be a popular opinion with this group, but I'm going to say I disagree with what is being done. The fact is this only became a consideration because of the stance Disney is taking in opposition. To me this is a dangerous road to travel. Should governments wield punishments against those that don't agree with them?

Look, I don't like Disney's take at all, but l also don't agree with the "State" using punitive tactics like this either. Because let's face it - their stance is the only reason Desantis and company are doing this. Wouldn't even be a thought if Disney had not put it out there and then they would still be holding their special privileges because they were either in agreement or didn't openly oppose.

Not sure about the rest of you, but I don't want govt. that swings that power around on either side.

I agree with you, but don't. Florida is looking to take away their "special tax" status. A gift once given to them. They are not levying additional taxes or fines against them (which I would disagree with).

It's one thing to take away a gift, a grant, etc. It's a whole other to be punitive in action against them.

Kind of like how the NFL has "special" protection from the Government and Congress has several times thought about revoking it.

I agree with you, but don't. Florida is looking to take away their "special tax" status. A gift once given to them. They are not levying additional taxes or fines against them (which I would disagree with).

It's one thing to take away a gift, a grant, etc. It's a whole other to be punitive in action against them.

Kind of like how the NFL has "special" protection from the Government and Congress has several times thought about revoking it.
Yes, I don't mind special tax status being taken away from companies, but let's be real here. This wouldn't be a thing if Disney had not taken the stance they did. That is what I have issue with. That is where it becomes the govt. being punitive, because you know as well as I do that is the only reason it's being considered now. Otherwise - status quo would have prevailed.

Yes, I don't mind special tax status being taken away from companies, but let's be real here. This wouldn't be a thing if Disney had not taken the stance they did. That is what I have issue with. That is where it becomes the govt. being punitive, because you know as well as I do that is the only reason it's being considered now. Otherwise - status quo would have prevailed.

We're gonna split hairs on this one, and that's fine. I don't see it as punitive. I would classify levying taxes, regulations to be punitive. Not removing special incentives like tax breaks.

When Congress thought the NFL was all caught up in cheating and tampering (Spygate, etc), they threatened to remove THEIR special tax privileges and other Federal protections.

The Government expects certain behaviors/actions, or they will take their gifts back. These incentives were given to Disney some 55 years ago and I am sure they come with some expectations.

Regardless, it was put to a vote. It wasn't one man's whim.

Same thing is happening to Netflix. Now I don’t attribute all of the wokeness to their losses, just a major part of it

We're gonna split hairs on this one, and that's fine. I don't see it as punitive. I would classify levying taxes, regulations to be punitive. Not removing special incentives like tax breaks.

When Congress thought the NFL was all caught up in cheating and tampering (Spygate, etc), they threatened to remove THEIR special tax privileges and other Federal protections.

The Government expects certain behaviors/actions, or they will take their gifts back. These incentives were given to Disney some 55 years ago and I am sure they come with some expectations.

Regardless, it was put to a vote. It wasn't one man's whim.
I don't agree with the gifts to begin with - and the bolded sentence in your reply is exactly why. The govt. expects certain behaviors for their gifts or they will take them back. It reeks of compliance with the govt no matter what and I'm not here for that kind of action.

If this was about removing these incentives just because we are limiting govt and special incentives - cool. Using it as a carrot from the govt. and pulling it away due to opposition reeks - and it reeks no matter what side is doing it.

Let Disney continue to punish themselves - their stocks are falling, more people are standing up and saying enough is enough and using the free market to make their point. Parents matter - our kids matter, and more Americans need to speak out on these things. That doesn't happen enough. Seems people want to wait around for others to do their talking for them and stand up for them. This is the time for people to stand up and stop being the "silent" majority while the loud "minority" keeps being the squeaky wheel.

Reactions: MTC
If Disney et. al. had no special tax perks this wouldn't be a thing. Brilliant financial decision in 1966 to bring a formidable tax base to Central FL but I don't agree with any corporate entity having any more advantages (crony capitalism) than any one person or business in 2022. You want fairness, well here it is. Just ask universal studios, sea world, or any of the other have-not attractions located in the Reedy Creek Development District.

Like him or hate him Gov. DeSantis plays hardball. Just hours after they started whining about the redistricting map he fought for and won, he hits them with this. Exactly what the dems do and have mastered. Oh you don't like that? Try this...

Exactly what is needed to stop the tearing down of America. Good onya Gov!

This is exactly "The stance" that the left has taken against my world views for decades. Screw them. "The State" has joined in on it. I can't even teach in public schools because I don't agree with the nonsense that is scared to those hacks.

And, please be honest enough to admit that the government in many forms, has long ago decided that PC crap is the norm that they want to uphold, and traditional views are garbage that they want to take out. So, they have already "swung" that one direction hard. It's nice to have my views upheld by some government somehow.

This is exactly "The stance" that the left has taken against my world views for decades. Screw them. "The State" has joined in on it. I can't even teach in public schools because I don't agree with the nonsense that is scared to those hacks.

And, please be honest enough to admit that the government in many forms, has long ago decided that PC crap is the norm that they want to uphold, and traditional views are garbage that they want to take out. So, they have already "swung" that one direction hard. It's nice to have my views upheld by some government somehow.
Again.......I'm against govt. doing this on either side. Not sure why you are asking me to be honest enough to admit something that I already know. Being against it one way but being for it when it's for things you agree with is being for the state over reaching, but it's cool because I like what they are doing and hey, the other side did it first!!

"So true is that men close their eyes on encroachments committed by that party to which they are attached, in the delusive hope that power, in such hands, will always be wielded against their adversaries, never against themselves."

Again.......I'm against govt. doing this on either side. Not sure why you are asking me to be honest enough to admit something that I already know. Being against it one way but being for it when it's for things you agree with is being for the state over reaching, but it's cool because I like what they are doing and hey, the other side did it first!!

"So true is that men close their eyes on encroachments committed by that party to which they are attached, in the delusive hope that power, in such hands, will always be wielded against their adversaries, never against themselves."
I like it. Nice post

I don't agree with the gifts to begin with - and the bolded sentence in your reply is exactly why. The govt. expects certain behaviors for their gifts or they will take them back. It reeks of compliance with the govt no matter what and I'm not here for that kind of action.

If this was about removing these incentives just because we are limiting govt and special incentives - cool. Using it as a carrot from the govt. and pulling it away due to opposition reeks - and it reeks no matter what side is doing it.

Let Disney continue to punish themselves - their stocks are falling, more people are standing up and saying enough is enough and using the free market to make their point. Parents matter - our kids matter, and more Americans need to speak out on these things. That doesn't happen enough. Seems people want to wait around for others to do their talking for them and stand up for them. This is the time for people to stand up and stop being the "silent" majority while the loud "minority" keeps being the squeaky wheel.

I learned something more about this today. It's not just special taxes. Florida is eliminating these "special districts" everywhere, if I understand it correctly - and it will affect more than just Disney I believe. Pretty amazing, but their agreement 55 years ago and since allows them to govern themselves and as I understand it set their own taxation.

The bill passed by a 70-38 vote and is expected to be signed by the Republican governor, who earlier this week announced lawmakers would consider the termination of special districts in the state – including the Reedy Creek Improvement District, on which Disney World sits.
Reedy Creek was created in 1967 to help persuade Disney to locate its East Coast theme park in the Sunshine State.
The agreement has given Disney wide-ranging autonomy over environmental protections and public services, as well as control over local police and fire departments on the land where the Florida theme park sits. Disney has also been responsible for operating and maintaining public roads and bridges.
“Disney has alienated a lot of people now,” DeSantis said earlier this month. “And so the political influence they’re used to wielding, I think has dissipated. And so the question is, why would you want to have special privileges in the law at all? And I don’t think that we should.”
The legislation would dismantle Disney’s special district on June 1, 2023. The district, which was created by a 1967 state law, allows Disney to self-govern by collecting taxes and providing emergency services. Disney controls about 25,000 acres in the Orlando area, and the district allows the company to build new structures and pay impact fees for such construction without the approval of a local planning commission.

Same thing is happening to Netflix. Now I don’t attribute all of the wokeness to their losses, just a major part of it
I don't understand why anyone in the entertainment business, or any business for that matter, feels the need to lecture.
Doing so alienates half of their potential customers.

**** those pedo turds. We're talking about K-3 graders they want to influence. And Disney is up in arms about that? They already have **** day in Disney as If that was needed. The ******* place is geared for kids. Epcot is more adult.

Why does society have to keep caving to sexual deviates? Go create fagland with bathhouses and have at it .

This whole pushing trans **** on kids is to groom them for adult pedophiles to **** them. Nobody has any buisness pushing anything sexual on young kids. Period.

Oh it's a trans kid, not like a normal kid it's a ok. Our society is turning to total garbage.

I absolutely see NC's side of this. Remove "Disney" and the actions they're doing/not doing.
Goobermint should not have the power to envoke/remove special taxes/permits regardless of entity.

I also believe the Left should be cheering this on, since they want everyone to pay their fair share of taxes and somehow omit the top money earners at Disney. Oh, one shareholder is Vanguard Group. Hmmm...where have they been sticking their noses lately?

Maybe Elon should buy Disney and then DeSantis will reinstate the tax status?

Disney sucks anyway. Overcrowded, full of little booger pickers (I keed, I keed - or do I)

I went to Disney World one time - when I was 5 and vaguely remember it. Haven't been back since, and don't really care. Overrated and Overpriced. I can take several trips to better places for what it costs to go to Disney World once.

I absolutely see NC's side of this.

I do as well, but like Tim said, they're simply looking to remove their tax privilege they invoked because they're peddling pedophilia. Talk about an epidemic:

Just several examples in a sea of them. I know everybody sees these things already, but if there isn't some sort of precedent set, I don't know how else they're going to fight this. I don't typically want any form of gubmint involved in many things, but these are unprecedented times and they're targeting the most vulnerable with this vile crap. I see this as less a dangerous road to travel because someone doesn't agree with them and more of trying to prevent the nastiest form of human behavior destroying children's lives.

I do as well, but like Tim said, they're simply looking to remove their tax privilege they invoked because they're peddling pedophilia. Talk about an epidemic:

Just several examples in a sea of them. I know everybody sees these things already, but if there isn't some sort of precedent set, I don't know how else they're going to fight this. I don't typically want any form of gubmint involved in many things, but these are unprecedented times and they're targeting the most vulnerable with this vile crap. I see this as less a dangerous road to travel because someone doesn't agree with them and more of trying to prevent the nastiest form of human behavior destroying children's lives.

Holy ****, 100+ child sex abuse charges and the evil f ucker was on the streets free? That thing needs the death penalty. He'll probably get killed in prison.

Holy ****, 100+ child sex abuse charges and the evil f ucker was on the streets free? That thing needs the death penalty. He'll probably get killed in prison.
he'll be willingly dropping the soap in the shower from the looks of him

I get what you’re saying. This is government control. Take away the ideoligies behind it and it’s simple as that. Control.

However these big corporations shouldn’t have special tax privileges just because.