• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Queen is coming to Pittsburgh

Something about having a "Queen" play ILB for the Pittsburgh Steelers that I just cant seem to grasp on....

Maybe if his name ws KIng...I would feel better?

There's some truth to that...
Something is amiss. When you spend THE MOST on D, out of every team in the NFL, and only put up the 21st-rated D, something surely is wrong, but Tomlin is clueless.

Something is amiss. When you spend THE MOST on D, out of every team in the NFL, and only put up the 21st-rated D, something surely is wrong, but Tomlin is clueless.
Minkah - Injured for half the season
Cam - injured for half the season and then playing injured
2/3 of the starting rotational ILBs injured for half the season
That's significant time lost to injury for players that you counted on at all levels of the defense. Much of that time they were all out at the same time.
21st rated defense (overall) was actually punching above their weight for the amount of no names and or has beens they had to insert in the defense.
That said, Tomlin, Kahn, Weidl and Colbert can all be held accountable for the lack of depth and the failure to develop quality in-house depth.

Minkah - Injured for half the season
Cam - injured for half the season and then playing injured
2/3 of the starting rotational ILBs injured for half the season
That's significant time lost to injury for players that you counted on at all levels of the defense. Much of that time they were all out at the same time.
21st rated defense (overall) was actually punching above their weight for the amount of no names and or has beens they had to insert in the defense.
That said, Tomlin, Kahn, Weidl and Colbert can all be held accountable for the lack of depth and the failure to develop quality in-house depth.
The injuries at ILB were just ridiculous and no matter what coaches and FOs do, there will still be thin areas on the depth chart. It's simply tough to account for two star players getting hurt. Even with the injuries (and an inept offense), the defense finished 6th in scoring allowing 20 or fewer points in 10 games.

Evolve, sure, then scrap the 3-4 but if you are still gonna run it, you NEED a stout, low-center-of-gravity, immovable beast at NT to make it work. Otherwise, scrap it. Shades doesn't do either. his non-commital ways has the D hampered. While spending more $ on D than ANY other team in the NFL, his D ranks 21st. That's "not working" as far as I can tell. His teams also have averaged giving up 40+ points in the last 4 playoff games we have been in, ALL LOSSES. And "defense" is his specialty? Good God.
They don't play 90s and 2000's 3-4 anymore. It's not blitzburgh. They play two down lineman and two edge rusher. They don't bring exotic blitzes. Against they play gap control. Against the pass they play coverage and get Watt etc to hunt. They want more versatile interior lineman. But make no mistake about it Benton will be damn good.

They don't play 90s and 2000's 3-4 anymore. It's not blitzburgh. They play two down lineman and two edge rusher. They don't bring exotic blitzes. Against they play gap control. Against the pass they play coverage and get Watt etc to hunt. They want more versatile interior lineman. But make no mistake about it Benton will be damn good.
100%

Well whatever "they play," they don't do it very well. We constantly have to bring up one of the best "ball hawk" safeties in the NFL to support the run because we stink at stopping the run otherwise. Brilliant game plan, way to go. Just genius use of personnel.

Well whatever "they play," they don't do it very well. We constantly have to bring up one of the best "ball hawk" safeties in the NFL to support the run because we stink at stopping the run otherwise. Brilliant game plan, way to go. Just genius use of personnel.
They played Minkah in the box more because of the injuries at ILB. When they don't adapt to cover weaknesses, folks *****. When they do adapt to cover weaknesses, folks *****. AS @SteelerFan448 said, they ended the season in the top 10 in scoring defense (#6). Since the goal is to prevent the other team from scoring, they did damn well; especially playing a bunch of misfit injury replacements.
I get it, there are a LOT of things this coaching staff could do better. A LOT. However, in this case, until the Rudolph led 3 games, the offense didn't score enough to take advantage of what the defense was doing for them. That's not on the defense, it's on the offense.

They played Minkah in the box more because of the injuries at ILB. When they don't adapt to cover weaknesses, folks *****. When they do adapt to cover weaknesses, folks *****. AS @SteelerFan448 said, they ended the season in the top 10 in scoring defense (#6). Since the goal is to prevent the other team from scoring, they did damn well; especially playing a bunch of misfit injury replacements.
I get it, there are a LOT of things this coaching staff could do better. A LOT. However, in this case, until the Rudolph led 3 games, the offense didn't score enough to take advantage of what the defense was doing for them. That's not on the defense, it's on the offense.
Well, at some point the D is gonna have to take responsibility of its own. Oh yea, sure 6th v. scoring is better than the 21st rated D (the official way D is rated by the NFL), and having a pathetic offense doesn't help things, but if you are going to build a team with the MOST expensive D in the league, it sure better be near the best. It wasn't. 21st v. yards is below midway of the best. 21st, after spending all that $ (the most). Yea, yea, injuries. Every team has them. We will have them this season too, maybe not at ILB, maybe at CB, DL or OLB, but we will have them. If you are spending the most $ on D, you should be deep as well as great. But without a legit NT, this D doesn't even start off as a great D. The ILBs can't tackle with OG/Cs in their face all game long.

Well, at some point the D is gonna have to take responsibility of its own. Oh yea, sure 6th v. scoring is better than the 21st rated D (the official way D is rated by the NFL), and having a pathetic offense doesn't help things, but if you are going to build a team with the MOST expensive D in the league, it sure better be near the best. It wasn't. 21st v. yards is below midway of the best. 21st, after spending all that $ (the most). Yea, yea, injuries. Every team has them. We will have them this season too, maybe not at ILB, maybe at CB, DL or OLB, but we will have them. If you are spending the most $ on D, you should be deep as well as great. But without a legit NT, this D doesn't even start off as a great D. The ILBs can't tackle with OG/Cs in their face all game long.
I agree completely the Steelers need a legitimate nose. You gotta keep those ILBs free. I never quite understood the reluctance since Hampton retired.

They were down to off the street Linebackers. You make it sound like they are gonna get gouged v. The run this year. I really think not.
There just are not many Casey Hampton fat guys that can move. And you can manipulate their effectiveness with pass formations where you can still run.

Last edited:
They were down to off the street Linebackers. You make it sound like they are gonna get gouged v. The run this year. I really think not.
I certainly hope not. Not after spending so much for Queen. But I have to admit, one of the best ILBs of all time, Ray Lewis, had a setback year when his team didn't have talented enough DTs to aid him and he complained about it and got the beef upfront the next year. Who is our immoveable beast at NT this year?

There just are not many Casey Hampton fat guys that can move. And you can manipulate their effectiveness with pass formations where you can still run.
Perhaps, but formations didn't manipulate our rush D too much when big Casey was in there, led the league is rush D.

I certainly hope not. Not after spending so much for Queen. But I have to admit, one of the best ILBs of all time, Ray Lewis, had a setback year when his team didn't have talented enough DTs to aid him and he complained about it and got the beef upfront the next year. Who is our immoveable beast at NT this year?
Unless they can provide an interior rush, the Steelers aren't going to bring in a highly touted, massive DL. Maybe a late-round pick, but certainly not a big investment.

Perhaps, but formations didn't manipulate our rush D too much when big Casey was in there, led the league is rush D.
Nah, what the Pat*** did at that time, and other teams followed, was spread us out (neutralizing that big *** NT) and pass on us. Not much use having an immovable object at NT in that situation.

Nah, what the Pat*** did at that time, and other teams followed, was spread us out (neutralizing that big *** NT) and pass on us. Not much use having an immovable object at NT in that situation.
A lot of truth to that statement; NE sure as s--t showed the rest of the world how to beat our D: just don't bother to waste plays on rushing. Hoodie destroyed us those games - just a total annihilation.

Something about having a "Queen" play ILB for the Pittsburgh Steelers that I just cant seem to grasp on....

Maybe if his name ws KIng...I would feel better?

It could be worse. Remember we had a CB named William Gay.

King, Queen, Jack...name doesn't matter if they can play. Apparently, Myles Jack couldn't play the hand he was dealt.

I know, and you are right. But how many Patriots of that time frame are around the NFL now? As good as Mahomes and the Chiefs are, I don't know that I see them as that machine that just goes up and down the field mistake free. That was the key to the Patriots offensively, IMO. Brady had incredible patience with the short game, then he'd gouge them, and he did not make mistakes. I think most QBs, they will work the short game a while but they get antsy, which leads to turnovers. Brady didn't seem to.

He was referring to the injured ILBs during last years season, Queen was brought in for this up coming season…………….

Dang you are comprehensively challenged…………

I must be “challenged” too, as I keep reading your post(s)

Salute the nation

Unless they can provide an interior rush, the Steelers aren't going to bring in a highly touted, massive DL. Maybe a late-round pick, but certainly not a big investment.
Benton is their man, per reports he will stay there and not move to DE full time.

To me the base defense is a 4-2-5 with variation to dime. If it's first down the "nose" is in a one tech on the weak side. If it's a pass down they sub and go to a 2-3 tech. I'm not even really sure why they bother calling it a 3-4 anymore. Watt and Highsmith drop like one in 75 or 100 plays.
I know people want to bring back the old days but you can't. If you are an off ball linebacker and are slower then 4.7-4.8. You are a liability in the modern game.

To me the base defense is a 4-2-5 with variation to dime. If it's first down the "nose" is in a one tech on the weak side. If it's a pass down they sub and go to a 2-3 tech. I'm not even really sure why they bother calling it a 3-4 anymore. Watt and Highsmith drop like one in 75 or 100 plays.
I know people want to bring back the old days but you can't. If you are an off ball linebacker and are slower then 4.7-4.8. You are a liability in the modern game.
Well said and to add to the bolded section, smart teams audible to a pass play the moment they see the big, beefy NT trot out on the field. I loved Big Snack as much as anyone, but offenses have changed and defenses must adapt. Big NT's that play 2-gap control and to absorb run blocks from C and OG on a run are not attacking up field. It is a wait and peek a boo technique. Not too many run stuff NT's are great pass rushers no matter how quickly they read the high hat block from the OL after snap.

It is much the same with ILB's...it is easy for an offense to spread the field with a lot of receivers forcing an LB into coverage which is often a mismatch. The rule changes and skill sets coming out of college favor an Offense's ability to create mis-matches.

My biggest issue with the team just isn't defense despite its troubles. The offense has been pedestrian for years...complete turtle ball putting all the pressure on defense who often has the deck stacked against them.