• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Steelers Select LB Mark Robinson In 7th Round

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have selected Mark Robinson from Ole Miss with their first pick in the 7th round.

Check out our recent exclusive interview with Robinson here.

Pros:

Good production in lone year at position
Very good upper body strength (34 reps at 225lbs)
Ability to read and react in the run game
Keeps his eyes on the QB when in zone
Hit power, delivers punishing hits
Solid blitzer, managed 3 sacks and 5.5 tackles for loss
Special teams contributor
No hesitation, when he sees something he attacks
Position versatility in a pinch
Decent in coverage when keeping things in front of him
Cons:

Very raw, as expected for him only playing one year at linebacker
Size. Short for the position
Man coverage, he won’t offer a lot early on guarding tight ends up the seam
Needs to get better at disengaging offense linemen
Needs to improve on flipping his hips and running with responsibilities in coverage
Occasional missed tackles when delivering a big hit but not wrapping
Has been fooled by misdirection throughout the year

The Steelers always love players that bring special teams value and can play a position on the offensive or defensive units as a backup. Robinson can play on special teams early on due to his physical traits, but is going to need to continue learning the position before being able to be a consistent player on defense. Something that Brian Flores should be able to help with if he becomes a Steeler.

Run Defense
As a run defender, Robinson is quick to pull his trigger and start flying downhill. He doesn’t waste many steps and often times is able to beat the running back to the hole. He has a good feel for reading where holes are going to open and recognizing it quickly, which likely stems from him being a running back previously. Misdirection runs or QB read options have given him trouble at times, as he attacks so quickly that he can get himself out of position. He also needs to work on disengaging from offensive linemen once they make contact. He hits them on the run with good force, but doesn’t yet use his hands efficiently enough to get off the blocks and make plays consistently.

Range and Tackling
In terms of working sideline-to-sideline, Robinson has shown the ability to make plays outside the tackles as long as he has a clean path. He ran his 40-yard dash at 4.69s at his Pro Day, which isn’t elite by any stretch, but proves he has enough to consistently work the majority of the field. He doesn’t tend to overrun many plays when showing off that range which is key as well. He is a solid tackler when he is in one-on-one situations, and also possesses very impressive hit power. He rarely gets driven back on tackles and typically brings the action to the ball carrier instead of waiting. He will miss some tackles when he decides to go for a big hit instead of wrapping up, but for someone only having one full season under his belt at the position, he should end up fixing some of those miscues.

Coverage and Versatility
When it comes to his coverage, Robinson does fine when he is responsible for underneath zone or his man runs a route that stays in front of him. He is able to quickly recognize and trigger downhill to make a play on the ball or the tackle. He also does a good job in zone coverage to keep his eyes on the QB to make sure he doesn’t leave the pocket. When he has to turn and run with a man or play the ball down the field, he seems to be a little more out of his comfort zone. He wasn’t asked to do it frequently, but there are a few instances where he had to put his back to the line of scrimmage and run with a man down the field. He needs to improve in these areas by recognizing and opening up quicker. He doesn’t have bad hip movement but it isn’t good enough to wait as long as he has to turn and run with average speed. He does have value as a blitzer in both the run and pass game that was on display across several games. When he is the last man on a stunt, he hugs his line tight and doesn’t eat up unnecessary extra yardage. Using him frequently like this as an attacking middle linebacker is where he will succeed the most early on.

NFL Comparison – Josey Jowell
It isn’t easy finding a comparison for Robinson in the NFL. He has a lot of raw tools but definitely thrives when the play is in front of him. This is why I chose Jowell as the comparison. Both are shorter linebackers that are at their best when attacking downhill and have had struggles when they had to turn their back to the line. Jowell has made himself a solid starter for the Denver Broncos with his liability to be a force on run downs and hold his own in coverage.

Draft Projection – Late Day 3 Pick/Priority Undrafted Free Agent
Robinson isn’t the easiest person to gauge on what his draft stock is. Around the draft community, he isn’t a household name, but his tape shows a player with good instincts and upside given how raw his technique is for the position. I could easily see him being a 6th/7th round pick for a team looking for an inside linebacker that they can afford to groom for a year or two.

MORE SOON

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Dale Lolley reporting this is a Brian Flores pick.

Matt had a writeup on the kid.

A special teams player. Nothing more.

This draft gets no grade until year 3.
It amazes me how many folks talk about what our draft picks "can't" or "won't be able to" do before they even have a chance to develop. It's like these kids can't/won't grow as players in the next few years. And maybe some of them won't. That's the risk of the draft. But maybe, just maybe some of them will. And maybe some of them will not only grow, but thrive.
Or maybe it's just the beer talking. lol

Matt had a writeup on the kid.

He kind of sounds similar to Vince Williams in his pros and cons when he was drafted, although Williams played a lot more LB in college

I'm going C-. Hope I'm wrong.

Tomlin & company are odd leaders.

This draft gets no grade until year 3.
It amazes me how many folks talk about what our draft picks "can't" or "won't be able to" do before they even have a chance to develop. It's like these kids can't/won't grow as players in the next few years. And maybe some of them won't. That's the risk of the draft. But maybe, just maybe some of them will. And maybe some of them will not only grow, but thrive.
Or maybe it's just the beer talking. lol
False because thats not the basis for giving draft grades.

Everyone realizes you can’t predict how a player will turn out.
When you hear the “experts” give draft grades its primarily about did the team fill its needs…having the quality of the college players chosen in consideration.

If team filled its needs with college players that are good or elite, or “steals” they most likely get an A.
How they turn out is irrelevant in this little exercise.

Whether or not the grade you gave was accurate or absurd will be determined down the road.

Last edited:
Everyone realizes you can’t predict how a player will turn out.
When you hear the “experts” give draft grades its primarily about did the team fill its needs…with the quality of the college players chosen as a criteria.

If team filled its needs with college players that are good or elite, or “steals” they most likely get an A.
How they turn out is irrelevant in this little exercise.
Sounds good. Except for the fact that the "quality" of the college players chosen, as far as how they'll actually do in the NFL, isn't really known until after they play, or don't, in the league. For example Limas Sweed was a great pick for the Steelers, right? So was Bush. Many folks had TJ as a "reach" pick. We didn't need a TE in the second last year, etc. etc.

What I'm saying is that I, personally, don't really care how the "experts" grade a draft. I want to see how they play for the Pittsburgh Steelers before I say the draft was a failure or a great one. Because, let's face it, that's what's really important. Now, if other folks want to grade a draft based upon "perceived value" rather than actual, demonstrated value, fantastic. Have fun.

Sounds good. Except for the fact that the "quality" of the college players chosen, as far as how they'll actually do in the NFL, isn't really known until after they play, or don't, in the league.
EXACTLY.
I thought I made that clear.

For example Limas Sweed was a great pick for the Steelers, right? So was Bush. Many folks had TJ as a "reach" pick. We didn't need a TE in the second last year, etc. etc.

What I'm saying is that I, personally, don't really care how the "experts" grade a draft.

None of that matters.
My point was not to explain how the experts grade a draft, but about how a draft is graded..which is based only on need and talent in the here and now.
Its a given no one knows how the players will turn out.

I want to see how they play for the Pittsburgh Steelers before I say the draft was a failure or a great one. Because, let's face it, that's what's really important. Now, if other folks want to grade a draft based upon "perceived value" rather than actual, demonstrated value, fantastic. Have fun.
You’re still missing the point of giving draft grades.

Think of it as a prediction, because that’s what it really is.
You predict scores and season records don’t you?
Then PREDICT how the Steelers did in the draft by giving them a grade.

EXACTLY.
I thought I made that clear.

None of that matters.
My point was not to explain how the experts grade a draft, but about how a draft is graded..which is based only on need and talent in the here and now.
Its a given no one knows how the players will turn out.

You’re still missing the point of giving draft grades.

Think of it as a prediction, because that’s what it really is.
You predict scores and season records don’t you?
Then PREDICT how the Steelers did in the draft by giving them a grade.
I understood exactly what you were saying.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear.
What I was saying was that it's great if folks want to grade a draft today. I choose not to participate in that type of endeavor. I'm more interested in how the players do or do not develop. And that cake usually takes some time to bake.

Robinson was the first guy in the draft for whom NFL.com did not have a profile.

Dude is as raw as they come, but upon further research, seems like an interesting prospect. He wasn't at the combine, but his pro day lists his bench press reps at 34. I don't know if this is accurate or not, but that number is way off the charts for a man of his size.

Flores gonna show Cool Shades what a LB is and how ya draft one. Huge upside, take em late and coach em up rather than wasting draft capital to move up in the first for a guy…of course this strategy does require “coaching”

Interesting pick is all I can say here. But, I think having Flores and even some of the other additional coaches they have this year is really going to help. I sure hope they have a really good WR coach as well as they will definitely need it.