• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

This is police brutality

To the police officers out there - it looks like banning choke holds is a popular topic. How will that affect restraint techniques? Sometimes these things backfire but I am not familiar with the techniques used by the police to restrain someone resisting.

More taser, baby! Stronger, bigger faster. Shock the piss out of em. No one gets tased if they obey the law and don’t fight the police. If you do, fry mfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

More taser, baby! Stronger, bigger faster. Shock the piss out of em. No one gets tased if they obey the law and don’t fight the police. If you do, fry mfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Are we still in the mindset of a man being forceably choked out with a knee in his neck, and you using it as a punch line? Look at some point we need to drop the political mitts and become human ******* beings. Americans even. I'm not interested in Oprah's bullshit two evening conversation. ***** sells books and diet aids. But we can't just laugh this **** off. I coach kids who I feel like family, who fall into this conversation and if any of you fucktards laughing about this **** were to harm them in anyway...you better have your ******* Will in order. That's all I have to say about that.

To the police officers out there - it looks like banning choke holds is a popular topic. How will that affect restraint techniques? Sometimes these things backfire but I am not familiar with the techniques used by the police to restrain someone resisting.

Well I'm not a police officer,but i do understand blood chokes are dangerous if held for more than a few seconds really. They tap out in Brazilian jujitsu or mma for a reason... Say a fully locked in rear naked choke? You have maybe 10 seconds before you're unconscious and ragdoll. You keep holding it and the person will die. Pretty simple. Those tasers on a fat person may not do much. Fat doesn't conduct electricity as well as muscular person. They also have to get through.clothing and hook into the skin for optimal performance.

Ok. Why is this **** happening in Europe right now? What does systemic racism have to do with Europe?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. It is bullshit.

It is a political movement, head strong to take down western democracies. Prove me wrong.

But we can't just laugh this **** off.

No, we can't. And even if the citizen is being lawful (where it's assumed there is nothing to worry about), what if the cop(s) isn't? In this below case of mistaken identity (what a ******* sham that is when you see 1:30-1:35), this kid was almost killed & had his life changed forever. Just like in other professions, have some serious accountability protocols.

Are we still in the mindset of a man being forceably choked out with a knee in his neck, and you using it as a punch line? Look at some point we need to drop the political mitts and become human ******* beings. Americans even. I'm not interested in Oprah's bullshit two evening conversation. ***** sells books and diet aids. But we can't just laugh this **** off. I coach kids who I feel like family, who fall into this conversation and if any of you fucktards laughing about this **** were to harm them in anyway...you better have your ******* Will in order. That's all I have to say about that.

My comment was not about drug addict career criminal George getting choked out. It was about what I think should be the most effective way of restraint going forward, for those criminals who break the law and fight cops.

If you're at all interested in another man who died the same way George Floyd did, google Tony Timpa video. It's pretty ******* disgusting and they fought to keep that video hidden and I think they successfully did for 3 years. This **** really hasn't much to do with the color of one's skin IMO.

There are some seriously bad apples in every profession. We just have to come to grips with that realization and work to change it.

If you're at all interested in another man who died the same way George Floyd did, google Tony Timpa video. It's pretty ******* disgusting and they fought to keep that video hidden and I think they successfully did for 3 years. This **** really hasn't much to do with the color of one's skin IMO.

There are some seriously bad apples in every profession. We just have to come to grips with that realization and work to change it.

There is an entire industry built on victimization. They don't want people to come together. Almost half the country thinks cops are out just to kill black people. They believe this crap. It's not going to change.

Is it really worth choking someone out over passing a counterfeit 20? I mean I think if someone is a violent offender that's another story but just cause you want to get them in a car after some minor infraction like this? Seems dangerous not just to the perps but to the cops as well. Perhaps offenses like this should result in a citation and fine, not a forceful arrest.

After thinking about it I do not think the cops knee choked him out It was not crushing the windpipe or on an artery. I do believe the cops contributed to his death by not letting him up which put extra stress on his body which was compromised by drugs and preexisting heart issues. I don't have a problem with the cop being charged, but it is certainly not a homerun case.

Okay, this isn't very difficult in my world but maybe I'm a little naive. I'm not a cop and have never been one.

Cop(s) gets called, arrests perp. If no resistance, they use SOP.

If perp resists, cop uses forceful SOP, subdues them while handcuffing them (should normally take approximately 10 seconds)?

If the perp is very aggressive, cop ties hands and feet. But they don't need to be putting all of their body weight on the neck or back of the perp while they have handcuffs on them. Immediately disengage (while you have four other cops standing there with their gun close by) and sit the perp up, or put them in a position that allows them to breathe freely.

What am I missing here? I understand the testosterone, the irritability, the pent up anger etc. Certainly no excuse for sitting on someone's neck for almost 9 minutes though.

Change my mind.

Is it really worth choking someone out over passing a counterfeit 20? I mean I think if someone is a violent offender that's another story but just cause you want to get them in a car after some minor infraction like this? Seems dangerous not just to the perps but to the cops as well. Perhaps offenses like this should result in a citation and fine, not a forceful arrest.

No citation, no fine. You arrest them, but do it properly. I think this happens in 99.9% of cases, but our lovely media and Dim leadership will never hesitate to let a good crisis go to waste, so I'm told.

Reactions: wig

Instead of defunding police, invest the $$ in more better training.

That isn't what I asked about.

Again, the question was about alternatives to that technique.

The money to police will not be the problem. Eventually the money can come back.

What you CAN'T replace is the quality of applicants that want to be police officers. That will truly be the long term ramification of the BLM movement. Who the **** really wants to be a police officer now and why would you?

Look, I am no police apologist or zealot at the overuse of the word "hero" and "defender" and **** like that. I am very pragmatic about it: this is the job you signed up for. It pays well. It has great benefits. But I expect you to do the job correctly with or without us slobbering over you with praise. I expect everyone to do that. It makes me uncomfortable when we go overboard with military celebrations. I didn't like the whole media thing of starting to call nurses during Covid "first line defenders and heroes". I just don't like it.

I also used to strongly argue with my friends that I hated police. Most I encountered were full of themselves (maybe because of all the praise above?). Most looked like ex-jocks that were likely all bullies in high school (picking on people like me - all 110 lbs. and a "nerd"). Most are under educated and uncultured.

And I particularly hated the use of police officers as "tax collectors" by local and state governments. I mean... I HATE THAT. There is no doubt in my mind that police departments with the full supports of our elected officials set up speed traps and citation traps to generate expendable income for local governments. In fact, their entire BUDGETS depend on getting such-and-such amount of revenue by tickets.

I have driven through a million rural areas in my life and they are all the same: create a road that starts 50 mph speed limit that quickly goes to 25 mph. They are literally EVERYWHERE in rural Pennsylvania, Delaware and Eastern-Shore Maryland. And the whole goal of these areas is not safety. It is tax collection.

Police should be embarrassed to be used this way, but as long as their department gets their "cut", they relish it. What a ******* easy day of work to hand out tickets all day at a speed trap.

Believe me, NOTHING makes me more upset that watching what should be a honored profession turn into that.

So I am no apologist for police departments. I know they are corrupt. I know they are a bunch of meat heads. I know they have ego issues and are on power trips.

But I still don't think it's wise to defund them. Or have them slow down responses to 9-1-1 calls out of spite. Or create policies that make it harder to recruit better police. There are better ways to do it.

No defending the cops. They murdered him.

HOWEVER.

We don't know what happened from the moment the store owner called the police to the violent arrest attempt. We do know we had a bad crooked cop with 19 prior complaints including a shooting involving a death. We know we had a guy with 10 criminal charges, 5 years served, who was high and drunk at the time of the encounter and was supposedly driving or prepared to drive.

A bad mix, wouldn't you agree?

You say "I think if someone is a violent offender..." How do we know they didn't pull his wallet run his details and found out he served 5 years for violent assault with a weapon? Could be they did and this led to an increase in intensity?

We have the benefit of hindsight and 20/20 here. At the time, the cops suspected he may have passed a counterfeit bill. It's easy to say "just give him a citation." When? When they approached him? How do they know he is guilty or not? Do they even know who he is until they ask for ID? Some level of investigation must happen at the scene and that interaction led to the escalation for whatever reason.

I'm not for just saying "give them a citation" when you look at things like Prop 47 in California for instance:

"Proposition 47, a referendum passed five years ago that critics say effectively gives shoplifters and addicts the green light to commit crimes as long as the merchandise they steal or the drugs they take are less than $950 in value. The decision to downgrade theft of property valued below the arbitrary figure from felony to misdemeanor, together with selective enforcement that focuses on more “serious” crimes, has resulted in thieves knowing they can brazenly shoplift and merchants knowing the police will not respond to their complaints, say critics."

That's been a disaster. I don't profess to know what passing counterfeit money entails with regards to sentencing. I would generally agree it's not worth an altercation. But given how this went down, it had nothing to do with the counterfeit bill. Something happened when they approached Floyd and asked questions.

And I think anyone passing counterfeit money should continue to be approached and be asked questions in the future too.

I laughed out loud at this -
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: An army of geriatric terminators just appeared from the future. Several of them malfunctioned and the rest wandered away. <a href="https://t.co/vWNgGHMizv">pic.twitter.com/vWNgGHMizv</a></p>— Scott Adams (@ScottAdamsSays) <a href="https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1270202714547339266?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 9, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bad cop kills suspect. Solution: Disband police.

Thank God everything else in the world always functions at 100% and with no untoward deaths. I mean, it's not like doctors sometimes kill patients, and dentists occasionally off a patient, or the military kills a civilian, that traffic lights never malfunction, food never has salmonella, cars never fail, home heaters never kill a guy, hot water never injures and fire never burns.

Otherwise, we would have to do away with doctors, dentists, soldiers, cars, traffic controls, food, heat, hot water and fire.

DE-FUND FIRE!!

I laughed out loud at this -
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: An army of geriatric terminators just appeared from the future. Several of them malfunctioned and the rest wandered away. <a href="https://t.co/vWNgGHMizv">pic.twitter.com/vWNgGHMizv</a></p>— Scott Adams (@ScottAdamsSays) <a href="https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1270202714547339266?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 9, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

At least they still had their clothes on....

No defending the cops. They murdered him.

HOWEVER.

We don't know what happened from the moment the store owner called the police to the violent arrest attempt. We do know we had a bad crooked cop with 19 prior complaints including a shooting involving a death. We know we had a guy with 10 criminal charges, 5 years served, who was high and drunk at the time of the encounter and was supposedly driving or prepared to drive.

A bad mix, wouldn't you agree?

You say "I think if someone is a violent offender..." How do we know they didn't pull his wallet run his details and found out he served 5 years for violent assault with a weapon? Could be they did and this led to an increase in intensity?

We have the benefit of hindsight and 20/20 here. At the time, the cops suspected he may have passed a counterfeit bill. It's easy to say "just give him a citation." When? When they approached him? How do they know he is guilty or not? Do they even know who he is until they ask for ID? Some level of investigation must happen at the scene and that interaction led to the escalation for whatever reason.

I'm not for just saying "give them a citation" when you look at things like Prop 47 in California for instance:

"Proposition 47, a referendum passed five years ago that critics say effectively gives shoplifters and addicts the green light to commit crimes as long as the merchandise they steal or the drugs they take are less than $950 in value. The decision to downgrade theft of property valued below the arbitrary figure from felony to misdemeanor, together with selective enforcement that focuses on more “serious” crimes, has resulted in thieves knowing they can brazenly shoplift and merchants knowing the police will not respond to their complaints, say critics."

That's been a disaster. I don't profess to know what passing counterfeit money entails with regards to sentencing. I would generally agree it's not worth an altercation. But given how this went down, it had nothing to do with the counterfeit bill. Something happened when they approached Floyd and asked questions.

And I think anyone passing counterfeit money should continue to be approached and be asked questions in the future too.

I see your point Tim and George Floyd is no saint. However you know that my 20 year old white daughter tries to pay with a counterfeit 20 and she probably at worst gets it handed back to her and given advice to take it back to her bank.

I worked in a department store as a teen. White kids who shoplifted were routinely taken to the store's office by security, given a stern talking to and a ban from the store. Black people were followed around and if they stole had the police called on them.

My point is that minor property crimes should not have to escalate into life threatening situations for either the police officers or the perpetrators. How exactly that lesser enforcement looks I don't know. But it's just not worth it. A life is not worth $20. But as you mentioned (and I mentioned early on) we don't know what happened up to the point of this murder. If he attacked cops force may have been justified (not kneeling on neck til dead force of course). So far there's no indication of that.

My point is that minor property crimes should not have to escalate into life threatening situations for either the police officers or the perpetrators. How exactly that lesser enforcement looks I don't know. But it's just not worth it. A life is not worth $20. But as you mentioned (and I mentioned early on) we don't know what happened up to the point of this murder. If he attacked cops force may have been justified (not kneeling on neck til dead force of course). So far there's no indication of that.

Nope but I heard today on a Fair and Balanced network that apparently there was a long standing grudge going. Chauvin wasn't paid properly by the restaurant they both worked at and apparently had held a grudge for a long time against Floyd.

More to come I'm sure.

I think that if we were to have a full history of all uses of counterfeit money by all races, this would still be the most egregious example. It wasn't the counterfeiting. It was something else. The grudge? Violence? Resisting?

I'm leaning towards bad cops and a bad police union. Dude had 19 complaints etc. He was a BAD cop. Yet he was kept on the force. THOSE people are to blame...if you ask me.