• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

This is police brutality

So the wendys shooting....

1. The guy was drunkenly sleeping in his car... that was the initial crime here
2. Give the dude a drive home instead of the money grabbing dui and it never happens
3. They knew who he was... when he ran they should have just let him go... too quick to engage these guys... its like the high speed chase through residential areas... if you have an ID, just disengage
4 he was shooting a tazer at them... returning fire with live ammo was overkill based on the above facts

I want to know what setting the Wendy’s on fire has to do with killing the black guy? I mean...yeah Wendy’s is where it happened, but it wasn’t a Wendy’s employee...what good does that serve to burn it down??

2. Give the dude a drive home instead of the money grabbing dui and it never happens
3. They knew who he was... when he ran they should have just let him go... too quick to engage these guys... its like the high speed chase through residential areas... if you have an ID, just disengage
4 he was shooting a tazer at them... returning fire with live ammo was overkill based on the above facts

Yep I think you hit it right. There is really no reason to engage in a chase on foot when someone is guilty of a minor non violent crime and is drunk/high. If it's something you are going to cite them for and they are running away, let them go and pick them up the next day when they hopefully aren't under the influence of substances. And there is really no reason to use live rounds when someone is brandishing a taser.

453rfd.jpg

Yep I think you hit it right. There is really no reason to engage in a chase on foot when someone is guilty of a minor non violent crime and is drunk/high. If it's something you are going to cite them for and they are running away, let them go and pick them up the next day when they hopefully aren't under the influence of substances. And there is really no reason to use live rounds when someone is brandishing a taser.

Until African Americans are allowed to commit crimes with impunity, police reform will never be complete. That's the way this appears to be heading.

Last edited:

Or B. Accept that you were wrong and let them cuff you. Oh...that would mean being responsible for your actions.

Or B. Accept that you were wrong and let them cuff you. Oh...that would mean being responsible for your actions.

Sure but I am looking at the police response... i mean if someone is firing live rounds at you, fine discharge your gun in a public area. The real issue isn’t racism here, its an overmilitarized police mentality coupled with excessive laws.

Most infractions are meaningless... the Dude was trying not to drink and drive. That isn’t death penalty material here...

Cities use police to create fine revenue... they criminalized everything... cops are already overworked in cities and desensitized to violence... thats what needs fixed, I don’t think if that guy was white Or hispanic or oriental they would Done a damn thing differently...

So we don't arrest drunk drivers now? Giving them a ride home sure does teach them a lesson, and surely will prevent them from driving drunk again.

Meanwhile 30 people in the US die in drunk driving crashes. EVERY DAY. And it was a lot more than that before they stepped up enforcement.

Had he not assaulted a cop, punched him and stolen a taser they may have pursued him less aggressively. Should he have been shot? Maybe not. But was the cop perhaps unsure about whether a taser or some other weapon was being pointed at him? Guess wrong and you're dead. But he's not allowed to defend himself I guess.

Last edited:
Again...so much conflicting info happening here. The original story broke that said he was shot in the back while in his car in the drive thru. Then that was changed to just shot on his back. Now all this other stuff is coming out. I’m turning off the news and media. I don’t know what to believe about anything anymore.

Yep, this one is pretty simple and there's really no acceptable reason to even pull out your gun. Step 2 is such a reasonable solution to what should've been a non issue.

Yep, this one is pretty simple and there's really no acceptable reason to even pull out your gun. Step 2 is such a reasonable solution to what should've been a non issue.

They gave him a field sobriety test and breathalyzer which he failed. When they tried to take him into custody he violently resisted, punching a cop and stealing his taser. Video shows him turning to point the taser at the cop as he runs away. That's when he was shot.

And again I ask...are we just letting people drive drunk with no repercussions now? Sounds like a great idea. No public safety issue there.

Tremendous article. I suggest everyone, on both sides, read this. The hypocrisy and the lie exposed.

Heard of Tony Timpa? Died at the hands of police when they kneeled on his back. Suffocated him to death. Haven't heard of him? Wait...he's white.

Example after example in this article

Stop believing the lie that there is some disparity in violence by the police against one race. It's simply not true.

-------------------

Racist Police Violence Reconsidered

Tony Timpa was 32 years old when he died at the hands of the Dallas police in August 2016. He suffered from mental health difficulties and was unarmed. He wasn’t resisting arrest. He had called the cops from a parking lot while intoxicated because he thought he might be a danger to himself. By the time law enforcement arrived, he had already been handcuffed by the security guards of a store nearby. Even so, the police officers made him lie face down on the grass, and one of them pressed a knee into his back. He remained in this position for 13 minutes until he suffocated. During the harrowing recording of his final moments, he can be heard pleading for his life. A grand jury indictment of the officers involved was overturned.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_c-E_i8Q5G0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not many people have seen this video, however, and that may have something to do with the fact that Timpa was white. During the protests and agonizing discussions about police brutality that have followed the death of George Floyd under remarkably similar circumstances, it is too seldom acknowledged that white men are regularly killed by the cops as well, and that occasionally the cops responsible are black (as it happens, one of the Dallas police officers at the scene of Timpa’s death was an African American). There seems to be a widespread assumption that, under similar circumstances, white cops kill black people but not white people, and that this disparity is either the product of naked racism or underlying racist bias that emerges under pressure. Plenty of evidence indicates, however, that racism is less important to understanding police behavior than is commonly supposed.

Timpa was, of course, just one case and might be dismissed as an anomaly. On the other hand, we are told that what happened to George Floyd is what happens to black people “all the time.” But because the killing of black suspects by white police officers receives more media attention and elicits more outrage, such instances leave us vulnerable to the availability heuristic—a cognitive bias that leads us to form judgements about the prevalence of phenomena based on the readiness with which we can recall examples. Had Tony Timpa been black, we would all likely know his name by now. Had George Floyd been white, his name would likely be a footnote, briefly reported in Minneapolis local news and quickly forgotten. In fact, white people are victims of police mistreatment “all the time” too. And just as the Timpa case tragically parallels the Floyd one, there are countless episodes paralleling those we hear about involving black people.

In 2014, John Crawford, black, was shot dead by police while waving a BB gun. In 2016, Daniel Shaver, white, was waving a pellet gun out of motel window and suffered the same fate. In 2015, officer Michael Slager shot Walter Scott, black, in the back and killed him as he was running to evade a traffic ticket; the following year, Andrew Thomas, white, was shot in the neck by a police officer and killed as he climbed out of the SUV he had crashed trying to evade arrest. In 2015, Sam DuBose, black, was shot dead as he tried to escape a traffic summons in his car; the same year, Michael Parker, white, was shot dead in the same way while trying escape a ticket for a moving violation. In 2016, Philando Castile, black, was shot dead in his car by a cop as he reached under his waistband for his license and registration during a traffic stop; the same year, Dylan Noble, white, was shot dead under almost identical circumstances. Also in 2016, Alton Sterling, black, was shot dead in front of a convenience store as he was being detained for unruly conduct; the same year, Brandon Stanley, white, was shot dead in a convenience store for trying to avoid a warrant.

So, the perception that the police regularly kill black people under circumstances in which white people would be merely disciplined is in fact a misperception. White people vastly outnumber black people in America, so it should be no surprise that more white people die at the hands of the cops each year than black people. According to a database of fatal police shootings maintained by the Washington Post since 2015, 1,003 people in a population of 328 million were shot by police nationwide in 2019. 405 of those victims were white and 250 were black (of the remaining cases, 163 were Hispanic, 41 are listed as “other,” and 144 as “unknown”). 309 white victims (76.2 percent) were carrying either a gun or a knife, while 199 black victims (79.6 percent) were similarly armed. It is also worth bearing in mind that while police shootings are sometimes perceived to be abuses per se, an analysis of the Post‘s 2015 data by Kimberly Kindy and Kennedy Elliott reminded readers that:

Nevertheless, it remains true that black people are killed at a rate disproportionate to their percentage of the population. Does this decisively demonstrate racial bias or murderous animus on the part of American law enforcement? Blacks represent about 13 percent of the US population but about a quarter of victims in cop killings. Whites constitute about 62 percent of the population but only half of those killed by the police. With slight fluctuations, these trends have been broadly consistent.

people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race.jpg

However, these figures are not necessarily evidence of police racism. According to the Washington Post‘s database, over 95 percent of the people fatally shot by police officers in 2019 were male, and no serious-minded person argues that this is evidence of systemic misandry. So what, then, accounts for the disproportionate representation of black men among those killed by cops?

The socioeconomic gap between blacks and whites is doubtless an important contributing factor. Police are called to poor neighborhoods more often, so poverty makes someone more likely to encounter law enforcement. From the 1970s through the 1990s, many conservatives argued that too many black people were on welfare. Liberals and progressives replied that, firstly, more white people were on welfare and that, secondly and more importantly, a greater proportion of the black population is on welfare because a greater proportion of black people are mired in poverty. In this context, former Washington Post journalist Wesley Lowery observed that black people are about two-and-a-half times more likely to be killed by cops than their representation in the population would predict. Today, the percentage of black people living in poverty is about two-and-a-half times that of whites (22 percent and nine percent, respectively, in 2018).

This disparity in poverty rates means black people are also disproportionately represented in rates of violent crime. Poverty can lead to dangerous survival choices that include lucrative criminal activity. Furthermore, outstanding warrants can cause suspects to flee law enforcement when stopped for other trivial infractions. This disparity cannot explain every fatal police shooting, including some of the most notorious examples, such as the shootings of Tamir Rice and Philando Castile. Nevertheless, the tragedy remains: Higher aggregate crime rates lead to more encounters with police officers overall which increases the likelihood that a proportion of those encounters will get out of hand. Entrenched socioeconomic disparities should concern us all, and are as intolerable as cop murders. But the idea that the police murder out of racist animus is much less clear than we are often led to suppose.

This is not to say that race has nothing to do with policing issues in America. Black people are disproportionately more likely to be pulled over for drug searches, a disparity that, interestingly, disappears after dusk when officers cannot easily identify the race of a driver. Black people are also more likely to be verbally abused by police during interactions. Contrary to his expectations, Harvard economist Roland Fryer has found that while white men are actually more likely to be killed by cops, black people are more likely to be handcuffed, pushed against the wall, and treated with weapons drawn. Blacks are still somewhat more likely than whites to suffer physical and verbal abuse from the cops even when the behavior of the suspect is taken into account. Findings like these contribute to a general sense that cops treat black people as an enemy.

Racist bias may well play a role in these statistical discrepancies in treatment. Certainly, this perception was as central to the protests in Ferguson, Missouri as the shooting of Michael Brown. If, upon close examination, that turns out to be the case, then this must obviously be addressed. The acrid relationship with police is among the main reasons that so many black people feel like aliens in their own nation. If a new generation of black people could grow up without the sense that the cops are their enemy, America would turn a corner on race and finally break its holding pattern.

Police officers are too often overarmed, undertrained, and low on empathy. Some police officers are surely racist and act like it. But it does not follow that white cops routinely kill black people in tense situations out of racist animus. This scenario may seem plausible—I believed it until only a few years ago. But there are times when facts are counterintuitive, and it is important to get the facts right and to analyze them with clear eyes and a clear mind (the enlightening work of criminologist and ex-cop Peter Moskos is helpful in this regard). Rhetoric has a way of straying from reality, and to get where we all want to go, it is reality that we must address.

John McWhorter is a contributing editor at the Atlantic and teaches linguistics at Columbia University. You can follow him on Twitter @JohnHMcWhorter.

I think there is a lot of bad policing in that video above. Again, like I've said, reminds me a LOT of the bullies I knew in school and how they acted in the locker room. They mocked him as he was dying. That's the pool of characters we choose our Police from. It's unfortunate.

But at the same time, who else but arrogant ******** have the gumption and ego to be police officers and not back down when needed? 9 times out of 10 they should back down MORE. But there is always that 1 time out of 10 that being an ******* and strong willed and arrogant help save your life. 95% of us are much nicer people than police officers. But 95% of can't do the hard parts of the job either. We could all hand out tickets. And 9 drivers out of 10 will be nice to us and respect us and take their ticket and move on. But eventually you will meet an ******* and sometimes being an ******* is the only way to deal with an *******.

It's just a ******* mess. There isn't one person on the left who can define the characteristics of a good police officer. Or how they should act in a tough situation. It's easy to think how police should act when things are going well. But Police are really paid for and trained for that one time that isn't cut/dry or isn't so easy to navigate.

The problem is Police treat 90% of their interactions like they should only 10%. It certainly is on the safe side, which I can understand. But then the overlap of people like that guy above in the video or the drunk guy in the Wendy's line, or countless others runs into a cop that is just too pumped up and ready for that 10% fuckup. And that's normally when bad things happen. It's perfectly understandable. It's human nature. It's self-preservation. it's part of the job.

forgive me if I sound uninformed, but when Brooks fired the taser at the cop, is that the only shot he has in the taser? I'm not familiar how they work, to be honest. I ask this because if Brooks engaged the taser toward the officer, what threat would he have been running away with an engaged taser? I'm not saying to let him run and get away, but I can see how this could be excessive force to kill him over a traffic stop/DUI. I'm not taking up for the cop or Brooks because it's a bad situation all around.
I will say this again, you couldn't pay me enough to be a cop. It's a thankless job and someone like the ATL mayor can sit behind a desk and demand the firing of the officer without ever stepping in their shoes..

I cant believe people are advocating for letting drunk drivers go....Was the force excessive? Maybe, but to say the guy should have just been driven home w/ no consequences is BS. You fire a weapon at an officer no matter what it is your are asking for trouble. Then to burn down a Wendy's just because that is where it happened is just plain stupid. How many black people lost their jobs due to that? The world is going to hell..

Yeah the only thing I would probably say is shoot the suspect in the thigh/leg to indefinitely subdue them. The driving them home or letting them go angle is just ridiculous. The dude passed out in his vehicle while operating it, that's a serious threat to public safety.

It's bizarre to me that we've come to the point where in the course of a lawful arrest, you can tackle the cops, punch them, steal their taser, tase them, run away, try to tase them again, yet they will still be accused of using unnecessary force. I guess a cop has to wait til someone's standing over them with a gun squeezing the trigger before they are allowed to defend themselves. I guess a violent criminal's life comes before all other considerations now.

Cops are trained that if someone is pointing something at you, you shoot. You aim for center mass because if you miss or don't seriously incapacitate them, you die. Under these new rules cops are supposed to put their own lives at imminent risk to protect people who are clearly and violently breaking the law.

They gave him a field sobriety test and breathalyzer which he failed. When they tried to take him into custody he violently resisted, punching a cop and stealing his taser. Video shows him turning to point the taser at the cop as he runs away. That's when he was shot.

And again I ask...are we just letting people drive drunk with no repercussions now? Sounds like a great idea. No public safety issue there.

So when you are running away and not a threat to injure someone it's ok to shoot them?

Cops are trained that if someone is pointing something at you, you shoot. You aim for center mass because if you miss or don't seriously incapacitate them, you die. Under these new rules cops are supposed to put their own lives at imminent risk to protect people who are clearly and violently breaking the law.

I understand that, but "you die" if they are running at you/charging you. If they are running away I would think they would be a potential threat to anyone else in the vicinity, but not to the cop. That's why I mentioned incapacitating them by going for the legs. Maybe they should change the protocol to charging you, center mass; running away from you, hit the legs.

Just spitballing here thinking of ways to minimize the loss of life.

So when you are running away and not a threat to injure someone it's ok to shoot them?

I think you incapacitate them because you just don't know if they're a threat to anybody in the immediate vicinity. In his drunken state he could have seen somebody that he thought was a police officer and started beating them. You just don't know and can't make assumptions that he's not going to hurt anyone else.

If he hit the cop with the taser he could have jumped on him and beat the crap out of him. What if the guy ran because he was wanted for murder and they just let him go. I don't know what info they had on him at that point, but now cops can't do anything. Pretty soon they won't be allowed to carry guns