• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thoughts on the game

QB- Brock Purdy is definitely the best QB in the 2022 draft. I’m not writing Pickett off by any means but he has tons of work to do. He was off target, held the ball too long, made poor decisions. I was honestly surprised considering he looked light years better in preseason. I hope he can pull it together because our season rides on his shoulders.

D

RB- Najee and Warren were constantly getting harassed at the point if attack. They didn’t have a lot of attempts as we got behind so quickly.

C

TE- Freiermuth looked crisp and midseason form. Washington put Bosa on his ***. Need to get those guys involved more in the passing game.

B

WR- guys were getting open so I’m not too worried. DJ having a Hammy is an issue as it might be a month before he’s back. A-Rob seemed to have good rapport with KP. Pickens needs to get more balls thrown his way.

B+

OL- I think they were much improved. The 49ers DL is maybe the best in the NFL and we kept a pretty clean pocket. Run blocks weren’t kept long enough but I think they’ll gel and get better.

B-

DL- lots of guys banged up here. Bringing Heyward back for one play was stupid. Probably set him back a month. Loudermilk impressed in his absence. Adams was getting pushed around a lot in the middle. Run defense was horrid.

D+

OLB- Watt was a stud. One man wrecking crew. Highsmith was quiet. Was hoping for more after him getting paid. Golden seemed serviceable. Didn’t see much of Herbig.

B+

ILB- Roberts and Alexander looked good. Roberts is a thumper and Alexander is a good tackler. They seemed to do a good job covering a banged up Kittle.

C+

CB- wallace was beat like a rented mule. Peterson gave up that TD getting faked out a little then foot slipped. He had a couple nice pass break ups. Didn’t see a lot of JPJ but I think after that performance he should see more time.

C

S- no splash plays, out of position, not a great game here either.

C

Lets hope this is not indicative of what type of season we are going to have.
The one move i did not really understand was bringing Adams back… he is just a guy and gets paid a good amount and we had multiple guys that could have done his job…

The one move i did not really understand was bringing Adams back… he is just a guy and gets paid a good amount and we had multiple guys that could have done his job…
Fehoko might be getting a call up with Heyward out. Maybe he can hold the point.

I think if AR2 won't do what needs done then he needs bought out so a new owner can fire this damn coach already.

In hindsight, looks like Kahn has brought in a bunch of has beens on defense. I traveled from SC to see that BS. I will watch from home from now on.
I was at Acrisure last night for the Pitt game with my son. We decided not to stay and pay $250 a ticket to sit at the top of the stadium above the end zone for the Steelers game today. We drove 4.5 hours, and got home at 4am. Turned out to be a wise decision.

He either didn't trust the offensive line or was worried about the pass rush...maybe both. There were just so many plays he left out on the field today.
I think Kenny didn't trust the OL. On the 3rd play of the game Cole got tossed back like a rag doll. The pocket collapsed and he got sacked. That set the tone for the game. Kenny will be as good as the OL let's him be - like pretty well any QB. He was fine in preseason when they kept him clean although it was 2nd stringers. Hopefully these guys improve.

Purdy didn't exactly have all day to throw himself. He was sacked 3 times and hit 7 times on just 29 pass attempts. He was hit on 24% of his dropbacks.

Pickett was sacked 5 times, hit 9 times on 46 passes, which is 20% of his dropbacks.

You could argue Purdy was actually under more pressure than Pickett. The difference is Purdy remained calm and was able to make plays because his offense gives him easy reads to WRs that are actually open at all levels of the field.

Pickett was panicked and his reads often take him to short throws with little chance of run after catch. As a rookie, it was easier for him to just take the safe throws and move chains. Just don;t lose the game rookie. But now as a veteran he wants more. He knows he has to do more than these short throws. The problem is the deep throws on Canada's offense are difficult.

Even with his accuracy issues, Pickett did complete 67%. It's just that the completions in Canada's offense are small potatoes. It has to be frustrating for a QB.

Purdy didn't exactly have all day to throw himself. He was sacked 3 times and hit 7 times on just 29 pass attempts. He was hit on 24% of his dropbacks.

Pickett was sacked 5 times, hit 9 times on 46 passes, which is 20% of his dropbacks.

You could argue Purdy was actually under more pressure than Pickett. The difference is Purdy remained calm and was able to make plays because his offense gives him easy reads to WRs that are actually open at all levels of the field.

Pickett was panicked and his reads often take him to short throws with little chance of run after catch. As a rookie, it was easier for him to just take the safe throws and move chains. Just don;t lose the game rookie. But now as a veteran he wants more. He knows he has to do more than these short throws. The problem is the deep throws on Canada's offense are difficult.

Even with his accuracy issues, Pickett did complete 67%. It's just that the completions in Canada's offense are small potatoes. It has to be frustrating for a QB.
Hey I gave Canada a fair two years to show me he could learn the nfl game …. I still see the same stuff from the end of the fitchner era.

John Mitchell retired, so we don’t have an assistant head coach anymore… we can technically bring in most of the OCs in the league as an assistant head coach or bring in an older semi retired coach as an offensive assistant … whatever it takes to get the offense so routes and progression aren’t all predictable and redundant…

I watched the entire game.
We were taken apart by SF.
We looked inept.
Browns are waiting to lay a licking on us.
Unless this team, other than TJ Watt who played his butt off, gets off the mat and starts fighting this could be a LONG season.

Great analysis with the numbers. A comment I would make is the move chains,yesterday they didn’t have a first down till the last drive of the first half. By then it was too late already. His 67% and his yards gained were also skewered by the fact they were so far behind. San Fran’s defense was giving up the easy stuff and taking away the deep.

For the last 4 -5 years ( even before Canada) we are constantly playing from behind,never scoring enough in the first half. I think our three and outs are becoming legendary. It has to be fixed.

Last edited:
As far as Canada's offense goes.... Maybe I am remembering it wrong but I thought it was said that Canada couldn't employ his actual offense because Ben didn't like taking snaps from under-center anymore. It seemed to me that Pickett was in shotgun all game. I am sure he took a few under-center. I can't remember them though.
I saw KP under center quite a bit. I was thinking it was unusual for a Steelers O of recent.

I made mention last year that Purdy was the best QB in the 2022 draft class. Someone I ignore said something along the lines of that the 49ers would trade Purdy for Pickett in a heartbeat. I disagreed. The fact they moved on from Trey Lance for peanuts and Purdy just came into our house and picked our defense apart shows that Purdy is indeed the best QB in that draft. My guys was Sam Howell in the 4th round and I wouldn't even consider Howell in the same league as Purdy. He is light years ahead of the rest of that draft class. He throws a nice ball, he is accurate, and he throws to where the receiver is going to be open. Pickett throws a nice ball, but is crazy inaccurate making an easy catch difficult and throwing behind open guys, throwing short, or throwing to the wrong shoulder. He is late on a lot of throws as well. The late throws are something you can work on but the inaccurate throws are concerning. He needs to get more accurate and fast.

It was just one game, but I saw so much wrong with Pickett that I am out on him being the franchise QB. He will have to earn his way back in my book. I am more disgusted after this loss, how they looked, than any loss I can remember.

Reactions: xjx
Hey I gave Canada a fair two years to show me he could learn the nfl game …. I still see the same stuff from the end of the fitchner era.

John Mitchell retired, so we don’t have an assistant head coach anymore… we can technically bring in most of the OCs in the league as an assistant head coach or bring in an older semi retired coach as an offensive assistant … whatever it takes to get the offense so routes and progression aren’t all predictable and redundant…

Well at least he did wait till the second play of the game to try a jet sweep, that SF promptly blew up like they were playing a high school team.

Right then and there I knew we were in for a long afternoon.

The Steelers did not do the routine things routinely.

Unless the standard is substandard.

Obviously.

Was the lab closed all offseason?

It was just one game, but I saw so much wrong with Pickett that I am out on him being the franchise QB. He will have to earn his way back in my book. I am more disgusted after this loss, how they looked, than any loss I can remember.
Too many Pitt fans just anointed him the next great QB. Unfairly and undeservingly. But I am not going to write him off. I have said all along that you make realistic expectations and look for improvement. This was his first game of the season against a premier NFL defense. I want to see what his stat line looks like after 4 games. Then see if he improves in games 5-8 compared to 1-4. Then see if his second half was better than his first half. He has a long way to go and I am glad people are starting to realize he is not Roethlisberger. We were spoiled a long time with Ben and the fact is that with this team and this offensive line Ben throws for 250 and 2/1 vs the 49ers today. We are rebuilding and that is all there is to it. So it will be a long season and lets hope Pickett can get better and put us into the playoff conversation by December. Or at the very least show us enough improvement to get excited about his third season behind center.

My thoughts? I had postponed a first date just to watch the game. I had to make some HALF-TIME Adjustments...Since the Steelers sucked I left to the Beach just after the half once it got to 27-7 to meet this gal.

I've been told on many occassions here without pictures, it didn't happen

QwYj04rLBa0zWubuXAvx8E-THTB0vy4c1W_FynqvjQL5cG5cQijmvpVFLOXKNVBFMvzvIQGrknKF36afqUPiBByBVJRXkgNHgkIx9X6_jw

szpJYTrr3-U4aFx2W6S2ZE8piFFppapbqe_iMMmOUV5CxLRb5yT9vOhSAlVsTmWrn3wc4nbTW3YS00woMk8gn8Cjwt9_sqQHDHTE36VT

The big question is will there be a second?

Too many Pitt fans just anointed him the next great QB. Unfairly and undeservingly. But I am not going to write him off. I have said all along that you make realistic expectations and look for improvement. This was his first game of the season against a premier NFL defense. I want to see what his stat line looks like after 4 games. Then see if he improves in games 5-8 compared to 1-4. Then see if his second half was better than his first half. He has a long way to go and I am glad people are starting to realize he is not Roethlisberger. We were spoiled a long time with Ben and the fact is that with this team and this offensive line Ben throws for 250 and 2/1 vs the 49ers today. We are rebuilding and that is all there is to it. So it will be a long season and lets hope Pickett can get better and put us into the playoff conversation by December. Or at the very least show us enough improvement to get excited about his third season behind center.
Who would have thought Mac Jones would look so good yesterday. I had written him off. We need to have some patience. Kenny and the Steelers were not the only **** show yesterday. Cincinnati fans are apoplectic today after joe signed that big deal and played like dogshit.

back when Ben was just starting out, we limited his exposure with a solid run game. While Najee isnt Bettis, our OL should be able to provide enough push for 2-3 yards.
now, back when Ben was at the end of his first-round HOF career, he couldn't run a Canada offense until he started calling his own plays. So, it's not the plays, per se, but the calling of them. Except for that ******* jet sweep, which needs to be ****-canned. Hasn't worked since Claypool was a rookie and I see no signs of it working now... even if CA3 is quicker/faster than Claypool.

IMO, they need to get back to the absolute ******* basics on offense. Our OL is not a bunch of stiffs and bums. They're likely being asked to do what they're not good at. Instead of having a lot of different blocking schemes, dumb that **** down. Block the dude directly in front of you. Call out switches, hand dudes off as they move laterally...

then start expanding from there.

that would help the defense... which apparently needs ALL the ******* help it can get. Anyone see our new pricey OLB yesterday?

Regardless of what anyone believes the reason is, this team is a mess. I can’t remember the last game the Steelers played where they looked that bad in every phase of the game. I mean they looked like dogshit top to bottom, front to back.

Who would have thought Mac Jones would look so good yesterday. I had written him off. We need to have some patience. Kenny and the Steelers were not the only **** show yesterday. Cincinnati fans are apoplectic today after joe signed that big deal and played like dogshit.
I have been saying gotta give a rookie QB three years to judge. You can't call him the next great or the next bust until a body of work has been displayed. Pickett regressed in play yesterday. Lets see how he does this month. Too many people are quick to judge and I think player development takes time. It is a body of work and a progression.

There is clearly two camps here. There is a qb is the problem camp and a coaches are the problem camp. Thing is there have been three qbs in the last three years.
Well lets put it this way, actually a couple of ways.

First look at Matt Canadas resume. Its very telling.

Second Matt Canada is the OC that refused (as a first year OC in the NFL) to allow Ben (a future HOF two time winning QB to make audibles. Seriously who does that? Most OC's especially new ones that tried to tell a HOF franchise QB what they could and couldn't do would usually be shown the door and told not to let it him them in the *** on the way out. Not us though we back the guy who is new and unproven and hasn't been able to make it as a OC in the the college ranks and tell our HOF QB to do what he says. And this is the guy we have developing our new first round drafted QB running our offense on his College ideas.