• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin to ponder coming back after the season is over

I'm not worrying about next year. I'm preparing for 5 years. It might take a couple coaches. I'm just sick of Tomlin rolling through HOF type players like Ben, AB, Watt, Heyward, Minkah to almost make playoffs and first round exits. I'm willing to risk it for the biscuit of maybe real contender.

THIS

Salute the nation

I’ll echo many of the ideas stated.

1. If Tomlin steps away, it needs to be quick or the Steelers miss out interviewing all the top candidates. The plus side is Mayo is already hired and Pierce could get the job in Vegas. That’s two positions.

2. Lame duck status won’t bring in a top coaching staff if anyone does get fired or allow their contracts to run out. Tomlin would need a 3-year extension for security. Too risky of a job if your QB is Pickett or Rudolph.

3. Somebody (Tomlin) absolutely wants this news out there with Glazer, Schedter, and Florio reporting on it. I’ll note, Florio did have one thing wrong in his report. He said this is the first time Tomlin will enter a contract year. That is wrong. Tomlin had one year left on his deal in 2021 when he signed a 3-year extension.

4. Why would he want this to leak? Maybe he wants one of the open jobs now and this is the message for teams to hold off making a hire so a deal can be struck after the Steelers season ends. Maybe he’s just floating it out there for TV networks.

Let this development myth lie...KP doesn't have "it"....
Explain to me Steve what chance has he had so far. He played one and a half ****** games one very good with anyone (and current guys aren't good) not Canada who is the only coach fired by this team in anyone's memory.

I cannot reiterate this enough. He is not a player you can trade. I believe he just has to take 2024 off and he is an FA. They just won't have to pay him. Not giving him an extension puts him in a spot where he must choose. But at 51 no big. He spends a year with his money and his family maybe takes a cushy gig on TV. Regardless of what we say he would be top two available in 2025. I guess if someone wanted him now and that was his dream job a trade could be negotiable but I just don't see that.
If it's Tomlins decision to leave after this year, wouldn't he still be obligated to the last year of his contract should he sit at home or go into the broadcast booth?
Did this happen with Gruden?

And you know what if Tomlin was Harbaugh I'd live with that no problem. The Rats are about the same but when they contend they really contend. And frankly Harbaugh does pretty much the same as Tomlin. Headset. Give opinions to coordinators and majes in game decisions. Only difference is he ******* at refs more and fires people till he gets right coaches for his team.

Zona my opinion is he us obligated to either coach for the Steelers or sit through 2024 with no pay. I think those guys were on longer contracts.

And you know what if Tomlin was Harbaugh I'd live with that no problem. The Rats are about the same but when they contend they really contend. And frankly Harbaugh does pretty much the same as Tomlin. Headset. Give opinions to coordinators and majes in game decisions. Only difference is he ******* at refs more and fires people till he gets right coaches for his team.
Majes?

Look, if Tomlin has any doubts about what he wants to do then it’s time.
I want a HC that’s all in and not one that’s sort of in and contemplating leaving either this year or next year.
Don’t prolong this decision! Steelers should tell him we need your answer within one week after their season ends at the latest.
Art should tell him we have a multi billion dollar operation here and I don’t need a HC who is not completely sure if he’s all in.
If this is a negotiating ploy by Tomlin then that’s pretty crappy considering how good the Rooney’s have been for his mediocre results.
I’ve said it for years, they will never win a championship again under this guy, he brings in nothing but yes men where no one challenges him.
It’s time for him to move on to whatever it is he wants to do. His time has run its course here.

I’ll echo many of the ideas stated.

1. If Tomlin steps away, it needs to be quick or the Steelers miss out interviewing all the top candidates. The plus side is Mayo is already hired and Pierce could get the job in Vegas. That’s two positions.

2. Lame duck status won’t bring in a top coaching staff if anyone does get fired or allow their contracts to run out. Tomlin would need a 3-year extension for security. Too risky of a job if your QB is Pickett or Rudolph.

3. Somebody (Tomlin) absolutely wants this news out there with Glazer, Schedter, and Florio reporting on it. I’ll note, Florio did have one thing wrong in his report. He said this is the first time Tomlin will enter a contract year. That is wrong. Tomlin had one year left on his deal in 2021 when he signed a 3-year extension.

4. Why would he want this to leak? Maybe he wants one of the open jobs now and this is the message for teams to hold off making a hire so a deal can be struck after the Steelers season ends. Maybe he’s just floating it out there for TV networks.
It could all just be a contract ploy.

But I tell you if Tomlin says he needs some time to decide ..IF the Steelers should immediately ask him if he would prefer the one year away or a possible trade. Time works against the Steelers. IF it is determined he has one foot out the door, open the door wide and assist him out. Definitely should not allow a lame duck status. We don't want to impede a OC and a DC from coming in as well.

Also the Steelers should immediately let it be known regardless their desire to bring in an OC and a DC. That they will be doing that search process. If there is any resistance revisit that open door.

It would kinda uck losing him this year as 1/3rd of the league was looking at 1 point.

It could all just be a contract ploy.

But I tell you if Tomlin says he needs some time to decide ..IF the Steelers should immediately ask him if he would prefer the one year away or a possible trade. Time works against the Steelers. IF it is determined he has one foot out the door, open the door wide and assist him out. Definitely should not allow a lame duck status. We don't want to impede a OC and a DC from coming in as well.

Also the Steelers should immediately let it be known regardless their desire to bring in an OC and a DC. That they will be doing that search process. If there is any resistance revisit that open door.
The more I've thought about it, after 17 years does he need a contract ploy? Tomlin could just walk into ARII's office and tell him what he wants and if he doesn't get it, he's out. I could see if he was in year 5, but that isn't the case. The only real benefit of throwing your name out there is to put other teams or networks on notice that he may become available, IMO.

The more I've thought about it, after 17 years does he need a contract ploy? Tomlin could just walk into ARII's office and tell him what he wants and if he doesn't get it, he's out. I could see if he was in year 5, but that isn't the case. The only real benefit of throwing your name out there is to put other teams or networks on notice that he may become available, IMO.
Depends on his agents and or his desire for more money and or a lengthy contact. Also one of them might wonder if their lack of playoff success will impede the contract they desire.

Just traveling down the conjecture road of possibilities and outcomes...

That could be one way to ease Shades out the door.
“Mike, you obviously suck at hiring assistant coaches and coordinators and things of that nature, globally speaking if you will, so we’re going to hire a whole new staff for you considering that it worked out pretty well when we hired Todd Haley.”
I don’t think he’d stand for it and would be out the door.

The narrative from the national media especially his buddies, it’s Mikes decision not the Steelers.
Who in the **** is Mike Tomlin?
They act like he’s some savior, great coach that was dropped into this mess of a team and that he coached them to the playoffs and all these non losing seasons.
This guy is the chief architect of this roster. He has a lot of influence and decision power in that complex so to hear these media buddies talk about how lucky we are to have him makes me sick.
These are his players, his coaches, coordinators. He’s the one who decided to promote Canada and even retain him, and I still believe it was Art who ordered Canada be fired.
I heard something yesterday that one of the reasons he’s so well liked because he’s well spoken. Are you kidding me! Who cares, I’m only concerned with his decision making and coaching hires not how well he speaks.
That’s how screwed up this society has become today. We’re rewarding for mediocrity and how well spoken the coach is.

The narrative from the national media especially his buddies, it’s Mikes decision not the Steelers.
Who in the **** is Mike Tomlin?
They act like he’s some savior, great coach that was dropped into this mess of a team and that he coached them to the playoffs and all these non losing seasons.
This guy is the chief architect of this roster. He has a lot of influence and decision power in that complex so to hear these media buddies talk about how lucky we are to have him makes me sick.
These are his players, his coaches, coordinators. He’s the one who decided to promote Canada and even retain him, and I still believe it was Art who ordered Canada be fired.
I heard something yesterday that one of the reasons he’s so well liked because he’s well spoken. Are you kidding me! Who cares, I’m only concerned with his decision making and coaching hires not how well he speaks.
That’s how screwed up this society has become today. We’re rewarding for mediocrity and how well spoke the coach is.
Screw things up, fix them kind of, and you're superman!

Explain to me Steve what chance has he had so far. He played one and a half ****** games one very good with anyone (and current guys aren't good) not Canada who is the only coach fired by this team in anyone's memory.
Dude HE HAS HAD OVER 16 NFL STARTS.....I have watched him for over 16 games...He's HAPPY FEET.

Don't know how many games you need to see that KP ain't it...