• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin to ponder coming back after the season is over

I wish we had a playoff game tomorrow with a chance to get up to Baltimore and destroy their championship regular season

Terry Bradshaw played 14 seasons for the Steelers. He threw for 27,989 yards and 212 touchdowns. He was selected to play in 3 Pro Bowls. He won 1 MVP award, 2 Super Bowl MVP awards and 4 championships. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1989.

Stats​

See all

TMGPCMPATTPCTATT/GYDSAVGYDS/GTDTD%INTINT%LNGSCKSCKYFUMLOSTRATE

1970PIT 13 83 218 38.1 16.8 1,410 6.5 108.5 6 2.8 24 11.0 87 25 242 3 30.4
1971PIT 14 203 373 54.4 26.6 2,259 6.1 161.4 13 3.5 22 5.9 49 33 287 7 59.7

Not lined up well, but you should get the point.
I get your point Zona, but it would most beneficial if Pickens and Johnson can turn into Swann and Stallworth.

Who here thinks Tomlin is " well spoken"? I don't think so. Sure he can talk jive, get a little rhyme here and there. Seems that a lot of the black males like his talk. I suppose if you categorize it as street talk. Well spoken? No.

Tomlin is very well-spoken

Where do you get your info about a particular gender and racial group liking his style of speaking? Don't be a dunce.

I get your point Zona, but it would most beneficial if Pickens and Johnson can turn into Swann and Stallworth.
I just don't want them to turn into the Browns, constantly changing QB's.
It would be most beneficial if they had a competent and creative offensive staff, you know, ones that can develop young talent.

Tomlin is very well-spoken

Having a flowery vocabulary doesn't equate to being well spoken.
A good communicator delivers speech in a well thought out, concise and pragmatic manner.
The phrase Tomlinism is well earned, and leaves the listener to question what they just heard.

Who here thinks Tomlin is " well spoken"? I don't think so. Sure he can talk jive, get a little rhyme here and there. Seems that a lot of the black males like his talk. I suppose if you categorize it as street talk. Well spoken? No.
What?

Post one press conference video of Tomlin speaking like that. I'd like to hear it.
Tomlin in fact very articulate and well spoken, except he doesn't say much.

As does any coach. I don't know what you expect him to say.

Post one press conference video of Tomlin speaking like that. I'd like to hear it.
Tomlin in fact very articulate and well spoken, except he doesn't say much.

As does any coach. I don't know what you expect him to say.
I have no problem ultimately what he says even though I tease him here and there.

For me it is just about playoff wins and SB appearances and or wins. If he manages some of that I am fine with him if he doesn't I am not.

I have no problem ultimately what he says even though I tease him here and there.

For me it is just about playoff wins and SB appearances and or wins. If he manages some of that I am fine with him if he doesn't I am not.
Agree 100%.
Those videos of that Tomlin impersonator does a good job of poking fun of hm.

And when it comes down to it, all coaches including Tomlin say the same stuff "we need to play better" "we didn't do this, we didn't do that", "they outplayed us"...I'm not sure what else fans expect to hear.

Who would want to come in as an OC under these circumstances? If Tomlin does leave, you may not have your job after another HC is hired. Any legit candidate will wait for the dust to settle before taking a job here.
I disagree. If I'm an OC candidate with confidence in my abilities, I'd see the Pittsburgh job as a great opportunity on two provisos - Tomlin is on the same page on the approach to the starting quarterback for 2024 and the general offensive philosophy (you can never expect a head coach to hand 100% control over to the OC as he always has to have final say).

The reason I would see it as a great opportunity:

1. Turn the offense around and you're making a name for yourself. You're starting from a low base so significant improvement should be achievable for someone who has ambition, provided Tomlin is willing to take on board the new OC's offensive philosophy and quarterbacks approach;
2. I believe the Steelers O actually has some decent players in place, with a couple of question marks that may improve significantly with a less conservative offensive scheme, and a couple of wide receivers whose attitudes may improve if they have a vaguely competent OC;
3. If Tomlin is standing down at the end of 2024, do a great job and you're on the shortlist for HC for 2025.
4. Even if a new coach replaces you, you have a three year contract that will be paid out, and if you have done a good job, other teams will be interested in employing you.

Last edited:
I just don't want them to turn into the Browns, constantly changing QB's.
It would be most beneficial if they had a competent and creative offensive staff, you know, ones that can develop young talent.
I think Pickett would flourish in a system like the 9ers or Texans. Rudolph would too. Scheme matters, and what the Steelers run is garbage.

Time management coordinator.

Captain cliche consultant coordinator.

It obviously comes with broad brush responsibilities but not limited to varsity and junior varsity lingo, fear and hope perimeters, the standard is the standard guidelines, blades of grass specifics, the business of winning blueprints, turning stone timelines and capabilities compared to willingness to do, dot to dots.

I think Pickett would flourish in a system like the 9ers or Texans. Rudolph would too. Scheme matters, and what the Steelers run is garbage.
We may never know, but I suspect that Stroud or Purdy wouldn't be as successful in the current Black and Gold.

We may never know, but I suspect that Stroud or Purdy wouldn't be as successful in the current Black and Gold.
They'd still be pretty good, they wouldn't constantly miss open guys, or spin into pressure.

I see those guys make throws Pickett can't make, they actually step up into the pocket and not spin into pressure every time, they don't constantly miss wide open guys

Agree and will go further. Both would flourish or at worst be competent in any real system other than ours pre-Canada firing, it has been incrementally better since then except with Mitch.