• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin to ponder coming back after the season is over

Dude HE HAS HAD OVER 16 NFL STARTS.....I have watched him for over 16 games...He's HAPPY FEET.

Don't know how many games you need to see that KP ain't it...
One season coached by someone who knows what the **** they are doing. The route concepts don't make sense and he was under the gun of throw picks you are out.

Dude HE HAS HAD OVER 16 NFL STARTS.....I have watched him for over 16 games...He's HAPPY FEET.

Think it is more about seeing him under a different set of circumstances than time frame. Not that you are wrong. One good thing is he has a chance to see Rudolph doing well. That can't hurt for motivation.

I am in agreement now with bringing in competition. Just not on the kick him out the door mindframe ...yet.

Think it is more about seeing him under a different set of circumstances than time frame. Not that you are wrong. One good thing is he has a chance to see Rudolph doing well. That can't hurt for motivation.

I am in agreement now with bringing in competition. Just not on the kick him out the door mindframe ...yet.
Idk. Kenny does have a different mindset that I’m not fond of. His decision making in real time are instinct and those are hard habits to break

Same ******* things everyone said about Mason.
I was just thinking about this the other day. Rudolph has had the benefit of being in the NFL longer. Which often brings a level of comfort. Which he obviously has been showing he is comfy out there.

I think part of Kenny's problem is he isn't comfy out there for whatever reason. Maybe that doesn't or doesn't fix. But the point is Rudy has a comfortable level which is aiding his process. Good for him.

We have to let Kenny see the process out. IMO.

Doesn't prevent the team from bringing in competition. But why shouldn't he be allotted time to see how things shake out?

I get people wanting to stamp an envelope. But some players simply take longer than one might like. Of course some simply don't develop.

I have had incidents of being right and wrong about players. So has everyone regardless of some people not wanting to admit it.

Those clutch moment wins make me wonder if he can be fixed, the lack of points make come wonder if he can't.

Idk. Kenny does have a different mindset that I’m not fond of. His decision making in real time are instinct and those are hard habits to break
Plenty of slow out of the gates QBs have improved and plenty haven't. Really a roll of the dice. I don't want to pretend he hasn't had some nice moments as I can't pretend overall he hasn't been productive enough...

My take is if Tomlin leaked this info it could be for a few reasons. One simply to get a better deal, two to give the players extra motivation. The players seem to love Tomlin and if they think it might be his last year they might try harder. Lastly could just be an ego thing were he is butt hurt over the media / fans calling for his firing. I dont see anyway that Rooney just lets Tomlin take a year off then come right back. If the reports are true and he wants to step away I do not think he will be back. Hopefully they can get something in return

Plenty of slow out of the gates QBs have improved and plenty haven't. Really a roll of the dice. I don't want to pretend he hasn't had some nice moments as I can't pretend overall he hasn't been productive enough...
Rudolph has had time to actually progress sitting on the sidelines though. If you plug Kenny back in, he doesn’t have that luxury if he’s showing more so the same.

But he does have the offseason to improve. So we’ll see. He definitely needs to earn back his spot

Rudolph has had time to actually progress sitting on the sidelines though. If you plug Kenny back in, he doesn’t have that luxury if he’s showing more so the same.

But he does have the offseason to improve. So we’ll see. He definitely needs to earn back his spot
Yep make him earn it with competition and better coaches.

He either shines or doesn't. In the meantime I fortify the trenches and the position and branches of the position.

Like WR, RT, C a QB either in the draft or free agency. While showing Mitch the door.

To me its make or break for Kenny next year because they need to decide on his 5th year. Not before. And if he cannot beat out real competition in camp be it Rudolph or someone else so be it.
Definitely. I am sure sitting on the bench brings that realization. He will either sink or swim.

I think he swims but that might be the minority opinion right now.

QB competition is one thing, provided real time competition is brought in.

If you draft a QB, you draft as if he is a starter. SAME goes for a free agent.

Then you let it play out in camp as to who is who on the depth chart.

If you decide KP8 is the man, then you bring in legitimate #2 and draft depth/Developement.

Right now, I don’t think you can pin Kenny as a certainty, thus the real live “starting” import competition.

Salute the nation

I call BS....When was Masons nickname EVER "Happy Feet"?
I saw that over and over again about him being uncomfortable in the pocket and having happy feet. Saying he would move himself right into sacks. Saw it as recently as early this year in preseason. not just on this board but all over the place. Pocket presence was the biggest complaint about him.

The narrative from the national media especially his buddies, it’s Mikes decision not the Steelers.
Who in the **** is Mike Tomlin?
We always say it's Mike's decision on this forum, but I guess I never realized just how true that statement is until lately. On a couple pregame shows I've watched when Mike's future was being discussed, it was made clear that it's totally up to Mike. Must be nice.

That right there is amazing job security, and it's not how things work in the real world for the rest of us regarding employment - especially when success on big projects (think playoffs) have a history of failing, with some of those being an embarrassing failure. My former boss would've kicked my azz out the door after about the second, (maybe first if it was bad enough) embarrassing failure to the company.

I really dont feel he will leave the organization "high & dry"...He owes that to the Rooney family at the very least.
If that's the case, no thanks. Coaches do not excel in a "dead duck" mode, see Cowher's last year when he knew he wasn't coming back: a losing season with a Super Bowl team.

Mason, they're trying to take it all away from you Rudy....

Mason, they're trying to take it all away from you Rudy....
Okay, I'll bite and probably regret it, but it's cold here in Ohio and the Steelers aren't playing. What does your cryptic message mean?

I still think KP is QB1 next year unless Rudolph can win (not rely on the D but actually win with the O) at least a game or two. Then, the Steelers organization has to figure out if they want to sign him to QB1 money or offer him QB2 money with incentives. I think that is what they will do regardless - QB2 money with incentives. If they lose this game, it is a moot point. KP will be QB1 under a new coaching staff and get next year to show his stuff or they look to the draft again.

Steve, Mason was called a lot worse things then happy feet. I'd have zero problem giving him a contract that has starter money in incentives and backup money if he cannot beat out KP. I think he will be packing up his ol' kit bag and heading out.

Terry Bradshaw played 14 seasons for the Steelers. He threw for 27,989 yards and 212 touchdowns. He was selected to play in 3 Pro Bowls. He won 1 MVP award, 2 Super Bowl MVP awards and 4 championships. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1989.

Stats​

See all

TM GP CMP ATT PCT ATT/G YDS AVG YDS/G TD TD% INT INT% LNG SCK SCKY FUM LOST RATE

1970 PIT 13 83 218 38.1 16.8 1,410 6.5 108.5 6 2.8 24 11.0 87 25 242 3 30.4
1971 PIT 14 203 373 54.4 26.6 2,259 6.1 161.4 13 3.5 22 5.9 49 33 287 7 59.7

Not lined up well, but you should get the point.