• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin to ponder coming back after the season is over

Schemes can help, but a Franchise QB either is that good or isn't, Kenny or Mason are not franchise guys.

Competent QB coaches?
You can teach it by word of mouth..
Kenny knows it also..
But its the instinctive reaction of your brain telling your body what to do in a moments notice, that you cant teach..
Its has to be a "training" thing that comes with being in the situation over and over again..
And even then some guys just dont get it......ever.

Schemes can help, but a Franchise QB either is that good or isn't, Kenny or Mason are not franchise guys.
I would disagree to the extent that many "franchise" qbs did not look like franchise qbs until a full 2 years in. Particularly when playing in a bad system. Hell they could both be franchise guys and we would never know it the system was so bad. I thought Mason deserved a shot and I also think Kenny deserves a shot. Sign Mason like others have said and let them battle it out.

I would disagree to the extent that many "franchise" qbs did not look like franchise qbs until a full 2 years in. Particularly when playing in a bad system. Hell they could both be franchise guys and we would never know it the system was so bad. I thought Mason deserved a shot and I also think Kenny deserves a shot. Sign Mason like others have said and let them battle it out.
But almost all franchise QB's make throws and do things in their first 20 or so starts that show you why they can or will be franchise QB's. Manning threw like 28 INT's his first season, but he also made ridiculous reads and throws. Ben didn't have great stats as rookie, but he made so many incredible plays and throws you knew he was going to be really good.

Do you think the 49ers considered Purdy a franchise QB when they drafted him? I think it’s more of a case of “look what I found.”

Tainted battle, Tomlin's stubbornness / ego would never allow it to be fair.

Salute the nation

Do you think the 49ers considered Purdy a franchise QB when they drafted him? I think it’s more of a case of “look what I found.”
Doesn't mean he wasn't good enough, combine #'s only go so far. Shanahan was fired from Washington, Arians had Winston in Tampa, then got Brady and won the Super Bowl.

KP needs a new OC and O staff with a legit system, schemes, play calling, etc. It also seems he needs to get rid of his "personal" QB coach. He doesn't seem to be helping him. He needs to get in with one of the top QB trainers that many of the other NFL QB's use and/or seek out the guy who helped Allen. KP improving goes both ways but he was never put in a system set up for him to succeed and that is a shame. He has the leadership qualities and the trait to come from behind and win. That is a huge trait to have in the NFL and he has it. Somehow, he needs to learn how to trust the OL in front of him after getting pummeled for a year and a half because they were/are so bad in pass protection.

I think it is already pretty fair in that Mason is getting the starts now. He controls his own fate at this point.

Tomlin is forced to play Rudolf, C'mon even you can see that. Tomlin didn't just come out of the blue and start Rudy.

Training camp will be a different story (no pressure of the here and now) and If Rudolf decides to return, then he will get what is fed to him. Tomlin can't even compliment Rudy other than going with the "HOT" hand that he's been leaning on to save his assz. Can't even name him as #1 on depth chart, Fickle as that is.

KP8 Is Tomlin's QB of the future and it doesn't matter, unless he is so inept in TC and The competition is overly great.

Salute the nation

KP needs a new OC and O staff with a legit system, schemes, play calling, etc. It also seems he needs to get rid of his "personal" QB coach. He doesn't seem to be helping him. He needs to get in with one of the top QB trainers that many of the other NFL QB's use and/or seek out the guy who helped Allen. KP improving goes both ways but he was never put in a system set up for him to succeed and that is a shame. He has the leadership qualities and the trait to come from behind and win. That is a huge trait to have in the NFL and he has it. Somehow, he needs to learn how to trust the OL in front of him after getting pummeled for a year and a half because they were/are so bad in pass protection.

I can't say yes or no on KP8, but there is a "time" factor to consider. They have already wasted 2 years of CAM and TJ while waiting for KP8 to develop. Is Kenny a china doll ? Is his hapopy feet going to settle down? Accuracy / decision / eyes are all things that should have shown improvement by now. I don't make the call, but short leash should be KP8's future.

Salute the nation

PS

A third string QB has made that OL look head and shoulders above what KP8 has made them look like.

I'm ONLY saying what the eye test is seeing.

Salute the nation

Tomlin is forced to play Rudolf, C'mon even you can see that. Tomlin didn't just come out of the blue and start Rudy.

Training camp will be a different story (no pressure of the here and now) and If Rudolf decides to return, then he will get what is fed to him. Tomlin can't even compliment Rudy other than going with the "HOT" hand that he's been leaning on to save his assz. Can't even name him as #1 on depth chart, Fickle as that is.

KP8 Is Tomlin's QB of the future and it doesn't matter, unless he is so inept in TC and The competition is overly great.

Salute the nation
If Mason keeps winning he either gets the Job here or gets paid elsewhere. I have always liked him but I do worry and have all along about his ability to stay healthy the way he plays. Not that Kenny has stayed healthy either but I think play calling can help him. Mason isn’t as mobile and loves to stand in there to make the throw. He is very much old school but we don’t have the line quite yet for that.

If Mason keeps winning he either gets the Job here or gets paid elsewhere. I have always liked him but I do worry and have all along about his ability to stay healthy the way he plays. Not that Kenny has stayed healthy either but I think play calling can help him. Mason isn’t as mobile and loves to stand in there to make the throw. He is very much old school but we don’t have the line quite yet for that.
If Mason wins at Buffalo, he'll give Tomlin the middle finger and move on, because there's no way he can trust Tomlin to make it a fair competition next offseason between him and Pickett. Just listen to the way Tomlin speaks and coddles Pickett.

If Mason wins at Buffalo, he'll give Tomlin the middle finger and move on, because there's no way he can trust Tomlin to make it a fair competition next offseason between him and Pickett. Just listen to the way Tomlin speaks and coddles Pickett.
I am just not as jaded on the situation or Tomlin. But then I am the eternal optimist. At least when it comes to sports.

I’m still not quite sure yet on Kenny. He has a lot of work to do this off season and yes, the organization must bring in an OC from the outside with an innovative offensive scheme.
Tomlin imo needs to move on. The organization needs a complete reset with one of these young, innovative offensive minded coaches.
I would love Ben Carson or Bobby Slowik or Clint Kubiak. All young offensive coordinators that could do wonders here. They would determine in a hurry if Kenny was or wasn’t the right QB. I sure as hell don’t trust Tomlin on making the correct decision.

Look, I want Kenny Pickett to succeed as much as anybody. We drafted him. We played him a lot. He's been named the number one QB. But if a guy needs a better coordinator, a better system, better coaching, better players... Maybe he's a system quarterback, not a franchise quarterback.

For example, Kordell Stewart needed a better coordinator. He needed a better system, he needed better coaches...Does this sound familiar?

Look, I want Kenny Pickett to succeed as much as anybody. We drafted him. We played him a lot. He's been named the number one QB. But if a guy needs a better coordinator, a better system, better coaching, better players... Maybe he's a system quarterback, not a franchise quarterback.

For example, Kordell Stewart needed a better coordinator. He needed a better system, he needed better coaches...Does this sound familiar?
Kordell needed to play in this era.

I'm not arguing Kordell Stewart was a franchise quarterback. I liked Kordell, I think he made a poor choice moving to quarterback. I think everybody thinks that.

My point is when you take a look at the number of excuses people make for Kenny Pickett, one has to wonder, is that a franchise Quarterback? Nobody made those excuses for Peyton Manning. Yeah, he sucked in his first year. But by the second year he started playing better and better. Marino, Roethlisberger, Mahomes... They continue(d) to improve year after year until they hit a wall.

Kenny has an ok first year, then hit the (expected) 2nd year slump and he's just been mired in mediocrity.

Maybe it is the OC, Maybe Kenny needs a better QB coach. Maybe his teammates really suck. If that's the case, it doesn't matter if he's a" franchise" quarterback. Cuz he doesn't have everything in place to help him succeed it seems maybe he won't. But again, let's give him some time. We'll see how it goes.

Oh, and let me be clear. Nothing. I've written about Kenny Pickett and where he's at in his development means on any level that I think Tomlin is not INCREDIBLY underperforming.