• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Training camp thread.

Is he a big guy or something?

Yes. He's a massive athlete. Didn't get as much focus because the other TE Georgia has is Brock Bowers. That guy barring massive injury or doing something stupid will go top 5 in the draft next year.

I think Washington is a round 1 talent. Much like I knew Pickens was.

We will get to see a lot of him in the preseason games shortly.

I respect Jeremiah's opinion. So that's a good write up. They have to get Washington on the field. Inside the 5 If you went tackle eligible with Jones on one end and Washington lined up in tight on the other you could motion Washington to Jones side. The big guard from the Eagles. The tackle Chukes. Jones and Washington in search. Run power that way with Najee. How the hell do you stop that. And if you want to game it just flair Washington out.

"Darnell Washington is enormous."

Seriously, Jeremiah is one of the best and his point on No. 5 is the most important.

Fans from the other divisions seem to think any good news about Pickett is just generic steeler hype lol.
Is he a big guy or something?
Nah, he is quite small for a giant.

Just for the record those are nice catches but relatively routine for an NfL pro. So the Steelers got Boderick Jones, Joey Porter Jr., Keanu Benton before and Darnell Washington after. So which of these monsters would you replace this little ****** with.
I've already addressed this question

yes these are routine NFL catches, but this isa 5'8" player making them.

Last edited:
I respect Jeremiah's opinion. So that's a good write up. They have to get Washington on the field. Inside the 5 If you went tackle eligible with Jones on one end and Washington lined up in tight on the other you could motion Washington to Jones side. The big guard from the Eagles. The tackle Chukes. Jones and Washington in search. Run power that way with Najee. How the hell do you stop that. And if you want to game it just flair Washington out.
By letting Canada call the plays.:oops:

I've already addressed this question

yes these are routine NFL catches, but this isa 5'8" player making them.
Unfortunately, he isn't 5ft 11 inches..... he would have caught the ball and still be running.....because of his short legs and arms he had to make an acrobatic catch while going to the ground because he has those itty bitty appendages. :(

Absolutely…a running game still has plenty of value… especially when trying to score in tge red zone… but the days of grinding a team down 4 yards at a time are probably dead for a while
Especially when they have always seemed to play from behind the last 4 years. Their lack of first half points just killed them. The offense has to put more points on the board. (Well duh..I know). It scares me when the report from training camp says they are continually doing this 2-4 yard passing nonstop. This throwing for 2 yards towards the sidelines when they need 8 just has to stop. Get that ball down the frigging field.

Our OC will decide the fate of this team. His play calling and set up of plays will be the biggest factor and we will find out soon enough in that regards.

Salute the nation

Throw Green in at FB too. I think if he dropped 20-30 pounds it would be even better.

Honestly watched him run gauntlet today. He would have to lose 30 lbs which he probably no way he can do. He was slow as molasses and almost no agility.

Oh he could certainly drop 30 pounds of fat. It would just take him about 12-18 weeks to do it without losing too much strength&muscle mass. It's just a gimmick. Maybe in short yardage a few times in the season.

Throw Green in at FB too. I think if he dropped 20-30 pounds it would be even better.
He doesn't need to. Green is just that quick. He's lightning at 300 lbs.

What this really highlights in spades is my point that Tomlin & Canada don't know a damn thing about coaching. Kendrick Green could've been the most ***-kicking center in an outside running game but instead, Canada asked him to do all the skills Green sucks *** at. Our offense calls plays into the teeth of our player's weaknesses and simultaneously, never into their strength.
Muth, Najee, Warren, Pickens and Pickett. Any other coordinator would kill for this. The Steelers have Pro Bowl-type talent and yet get their ***** handed to them.

Honestly watched him run gauntlet today. He would have to lose 30 lbs which he probably no way he can do. He was slow as molasses and almost no agility.

Green at FB is a waste of ****-ing time. To slow, when he catches the screen out in the flat, 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage………………… will be a 5 yard loss, all day. Who is he going to juke? Grandma ?

Don’t make up a spot for him. If he can’t make the roster for his position, then cut him just like any other player would be.

Salute the nation

To me this sounds like pure stubbornness from Tomlin trying to make this guy fit somewhere.
Let’s face it, he was a terrible pick in the third round, and Tomlin gives him Pouncey’s number and declares him the starter at center in 2021.l which turned out to be a disaster.
The guy simply cannot play at this level anywhere and I don’t even like him as a backup.
That 2021 draft should have been Creed Humphrey drafted and we would have had our center for the next dozen years. Najee at that pick imo was not the right pick for us. RBs can be had in later rounds. The OL must be built first and it’s not with guys like Kendrick Green.

My concern is really 10 yards and in. I feel their general scheme plays out well to inside the 10. Then they just do not have a smashmouth run scheme. The zone blocking is overwhelmed when full commitment happens to the run. People are gonna say it's just practice. But you are what you are in practice. I'm reading every training camp report and getting no sense that this problem is fixed.

Tomlin and Canada must have decided Connor Heyward at fullback was looking great towards the end of the year so they may as well give him less reps?
I want to see more Heyward, he looked great in his very limited opportunities. Just looked like a good smart football player that can catch and knows where he is on the field.
Green at FB makes me dream of the Dan Krieder days with the bus and Fast Willie, so I'm open to a monster fullback. Darnell Washington could be the missing link to the run game at TE. I hope they come out and do what they say and run it down everyones throat.
That Said although undersized Calvin Austin Should be the fastest Steeler since Parker, was watching some highlight reels, we haven't had a true burner in forever. Very excited to see him on the field. He could be the guy with the wheels to actually execute the Jet sweep, make Canada look smart. Would be like a blessing and a curse.