• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Training camp thread.

Ohhh Kendrick Green getting some snaps at FB. I like that idea.

would you have taken Tank over any of our picks?
well he was taken at about pick 69or 70 early 3rd round

if he was there at the Steelers 3rd round pick, Yes I would have taken him over Washington or any of the guys the Steelers took in the later rounds

I am happy with the Steelers picks, and glad that Tank went somewhere that I don't give enough of a **** about that I can hope he is a star. If he had gone to a division rival or the pats, he would be dead to me

go on admit it

it was a great catch

Ohhh Kendrick Green getting some snaps at FB. I like that idea.
He had some tackle eligible snaps and caught a pass.

Allen Robinson is going to provide the Steelers with a very dependable No. 3 receiver. I was impressed with him tonight and the rapport he's developing with Pickett.

As much as Gunner Olszewski frustrates us, he brings it at practice. A very frequent target for Trubisky. Calvin Austin got some good action as well. I don't know how he performed in other practices, but under the lights he looked like a future contributor. He's a guy you want the Steelers to feature.

They won't, but I'd like to see Jaylen Warren involved more in the passing game. He has breakaway speed and would be dangerous in the open field.

Broderick Jones is physically imposing and you can tell he'll be a force in the running game. I'm not saying he is ahead of Dan Moore, because I don't think he is yet, but rather you can see the upside.

He was a little up and down in individual blocking drills, but Spencer Anderson is an impressive looking athlete. Since he was a late-rounder, I assumed he'd look big and out of shape, but you can see the athleticism. Whether it earns him a roster spot, who knows, but he definitely is built like a tackle.

Alex Highsmith's development has been so impressive. You understand why they call certain players violent when you watch him work on pass rush drills against the practice dummies.

Nick Herbig looks like he'll be a player. Not built like the other OLBs, he's around the ball and could earn some snaps with this defense.

I'm still not impressed with the offense. Too much of the passing game looks like last year...short sideline routes. Also, a ton of penalty flags tonight.

A lot of people wanted to blame Greens failure to secure the C position on his size… but it really was just bad techniques on cereal plays… he doesn’t have great size but its low end average for an NFL C and he always had great athleticism..

He just misused it a lot… I remember his rookie year he ran 20 yards downfield but couldn’t figure out who to block and ended up basically useless hovering between two guys who both ultimately made the tackle.. it was impressive that he got down there so fast.. not so much that he did nothing with it

He often played out of control maybe even angry and that led to stupid penalties and missed blocks… he would put himself in bad leverage situations and get blown up…

So Benton left with a wrist injury? That means the two most intriguing DL guys are both in the tub early on, because Leal is still out too….

So Benton left with a wrist injury? That means the two most intriguing DL guys are both in the tub early on, because Leal is still out too….
I hear both injuries are thought to be minor.

A lot of people wanted to blame Greens failure to secure the C position on his size… but it really was just bad techniques on cereal plays… he doesn’t have great size but its low end average for an NFL C and he always had great athleticism..

He just misused it a lot… I remember his rookie year he ran 20 yards downfield but couldn’t figure out who to block and ended up basically useless hovering between two guys who both ultimately made the tackle.. it was impressive that he got down there so fast.. not so much that he did nothing with it

He often played out of control maybe even angry and that led to stupid penalties and missed blocks… he would put himself in bad leverage situations and get blown up…
…so in short, he wasn’t being used properly?

He had some tackle eligible snaps and caught a pass.

Allen Robinson is going to provide the Steelers with a very dependable No. 3 receiver. I was impressed with him tonight and the rapport he's developing with Pickett.

As much as Gunner Olszewski frustrates us, he brings it at practice. A very frequent target for Trubisky. Calvin Austin got some good action as well. I don't know how he performed in other practices, but under the lights he looked like a future contributor. He's a guy you want the Steelers to feature.

They won't, but I'd like to see Jaylen Warren involved more in the passing game. He has breakaway speed and would be dangerous in the open field.

Broderick Jones is physically imposing and you can tell he'll be a force in the running game. I'm not saying he is ahead of Dan Moore, because I don't think he is yet, but rather you can see the upside.

He was a little up and down in individual blocking drills, but Spencer Anderson is an impressive looking athlete. Since he was a late-rounder, I assumed he'd look big and out of shape, but you can see the athleticism. Whether it earns him a roster spot, who knows, but he definitely is built like a tackle.

Alex Highsmith's development has been so impressive. You understand why they call certain players violent when you watch him work on pass rush drills against the practice dummies.

Nick Herbig looks like he'll be a player. Not built like the other OLBs, he's around the ball and could earn some snaps with this defense.

I'm still not impressed with the offense. Too much of the passing game looks like last year...short sideline routes. Also, a ton of penalty flags tonight.

Excellent overview, SF448. 100% right about the penalties. Teams that like to run the ball and have somewhat ... limited passing games cannot wind up 1st and 20 or 2nd and 17.

Excellent overview, SF448. 100% right about the penalties. Teams that like to run the ball and have somewhat ... limited passing games cannot wind up 1st and 20 or 2nd and 17.
I tell you I am a little more comfy thinking this team is better prepared to run the ball and control the TOP. I see the two O-line additions helping the running game sooner than later.

I know it’s blasphemous to say so as a Steeler fan, but the few recent statistical studies that I’ve seen about controlling the TOP showed it rarely correlated to wins anymore.. offenses are too “ quick strike” and defensive rotation probably mitigated the advantage that used to beheld there… remember, when those strategies were formulated, Rosters were much smaller.

There still is a mindset in a few coaches that keeping things close then winning in the fourth is viable… but it really doesn’t lead to super bowl wins.

Look at last year… the Steelers were sixth in TOP… second in Top/offensive drive… their offense never wore anyone down. They missed the playoffs, as did the top two teams in the league in TOP.

You can point to the Eaglesas a run first team, but tgey really weren’t… but their offense is basically a Canada style motion offense, they just have a better passing game… they didn’t wear teams down by power rushing over them as much as they just buried them in points.. they had a top 5 scoring % per drive and 6th place ranking in opponents scoring %… they got a lead using creative offensive playcalling, never really became unbalanced on O,never took their foot off the gas,and with a lead pressured the qb a lot creating turnovers…

I know it’s blasphemous to say so as a Steeler fan, but the few recent statistical studies that I’ve seen about controlling the TOP showed it rarely correlated to wins anymore.. offenses are too “ quick strike” and defensive rotation probably mitigated the advantage that used to beheld there… remember, when those strategies were formulated, Rosters were much smaller.

There still is a mindset in a few coaches that keeping things close then winning in the fourth is viable… but it really doesn’t lead to super bowl wins.

Look at last year… the Steelers were sixth in TOP… second in Top/offensive drive… their offense never wore anyone down. They missed the playoffs, as did the top two teams in the league in TOP.

You can point to the Eagles as a run first team, but they really weren’t… but their offense is basically a Canada style motion offense, they just have a better passing game… they didn’t wear teams down by power rushing over them as much as they just buried them in points.. they had a top 5 scoring % per drive and 6th place ranking in opponents scoring %… they got a lead using creative offensive playcalling, never really became unbalanced on O,never took their foot off the gas,and with a lead pressured the qb a lot creating turnovers…
Good breakdown.

Regardless if you improve in the run game it can open up the passing game. Lot of variables go into winning it all. Truth be told they weren't good enough across the board. Hoping they improve in all areas enough to get into the playoffs and maybe even win one or two games.

Good breakdown.

Regardless if you improve in the run game it can open up the passing game. Lot of variables go into winning it all. Truth be told they weren't good enough across the board. Hoping they improve in all areas enough to get into the playoffs and maybe even win one or two games.
Absolutely…a running game still has plenty of value… especially when trying to score in tge red zone… but the days of grinding a team down 4 yards at a time are probably dead for a while

"Darnell Washington is enormous."

Seriously, Jeremiah is one of the best and his point on No. 5 is the most important.

I'm probably the most hyped about Washington being drafted. Everytime he stepped on the field for Georgia, you knew it.