• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

UFOs

Even Newton's theory of gravity works. It works even though his understanding of gravity was wrong. But his F G M1 - M2/ r ^2. Which for the earth is 9.98 M/S ^2.

I have absolutely no doubt you know what you're talking about more than any of us, but where did Newton get it wrong? I was under the impression he just didn't explain the "why" as opposed to the "what". Isn't law = what vs. theory = why?

And Newton discovered his universal law of gravity several centuries before Einstein was even born. Not taking anything away from Einstein's brilliance. I'm genuinely curious your thoughts though as someone who's studied the subject a bit but doesn't have nearly the knowledge you do.

It's a little arrogant to think that we're alone in the universe. The Theory of Relativity aside, perhaps there's life forms out there that don't play by our rules.

Have we been visited, I haven't a clue.

Hell, we can't even figure out Covid yet. And just how did the Egyptians and Aztecs both come up with pyramids?

This happened in the late 70s
Ok. Again, I'll take the more logical explanation that doesn't involve violating every single law of physics.

I have absolutely no doubt you know what you're talking about more than any of us, but where did Newton get it wrong? I was under the impression he just didn't explain the "why" as opposed to the "what". Isn't law = what vs. theory = why?

And Newton discovered his universal law of gravity several centuries before Einstein was even born. Not taking anything away from Einstein's brilliance. I'm genuinely curious your thoughts though as someone who's studied the subject a bit but doesn't have nearly the knowledge you do.
In laymen's terms Newton believed that gravity is a force that pulls on all objects. In his Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica he explained the relationship between the moon and the earth in gravitational terms. Newton didn't believe that space itself was affected by the mass of objects. Einstein comes along and realizes that Newton's laws are correct (we still use them today), but his understanding of gravity was wrong. Space time is affected by mass. This was confirmed in the 20's (best I remember) when Einstein asked for astronomers to look for the bending star light around the sun during a solar eclipse. Finally he had evidence that space time could be curved by the mass of objects in the fabric of reality.

It's a little arrogant to think that we're alone in the universe. The Theory of Relativity aside, perhaps there's life forms out there that don't play by our rules.

Have we been visited, I haven't a clue.

Hell, we can't even figure out Covid yet. And just how did the Egyptians and Aztecs both come up with pyramids?
Sorry but science doesn't work that way. If aliens exist and they are visiting earth then they are apart of the cosmological system of physics. Physics applies to them as it does to anything in this universe.

Taking off to around 669,600,000 mph would be an issue for humans. The energy to sustain that even bigger. Then slowing down with your super duper acme space brakes to stop off for a bite to eat at your favorite intergalactic delicatessen 452 light years from earth. Better have a really fast ride say a thousand times faster than light or you'll still be long dead before you get your sandwich.Better buckle up and prepare to disintegrate in 3,2,1...
Can said aircraft material even handle that velocity? Everything would completely disintegrate at those speeds.

I hear the intergalactic cafe is to die for ;)

Something is up. I have no idea what it is, but after seeing the video and hearing what the navy pilots described, something we can't explain is going on.
Not saying it's aliens, just that we have no explanation for it. Also this navy stuff first happened like over 15 years ago, which pretty much kills the idea it could be new tech.
I don't know, but I think some of you guys have may have your head in the sand.

Can said aircraft material even handle that velocity? Everything would completely disintegrate at those speeds.

I hear the intergalactic cafe is to die for ;)

Um no. Heck look at all those little ceramic tiles they nailed all over the space shuttle that cooked up real good just dropping into our atmosphere. As you saw what happened to them with just a little damage on the wing.

I can't even fathom what type of material could withstand that sustained speed. We are talking roughly 186,000 miles per SECOND constant for a year to equal 1 light year.

So all of these stars that are hundreds,thousands,millions of light years away are not reachable even if we could get close to light speed. We would need to go much,much,much faster than light. I can't even wrap my brain around light speed, let alone going faster.

Then you'd need a guidance system to get you from point A to B without smashing into anything. Which you couldn't possibly see that far out ahead of you.

It's pretty much a pipe dream traveling that great of distance.

A lot of theory stuff that sounds great,but achieving it is well beyond our intelligence,if even possible at all.

So, I'm rather skeptical ET is anyplace near us. It would certainly seem like a big waste of space, if we're the only life forms who can even contemplate and question their own existence in the universe.

Um no. Heck look at all those little ceramic tiles they nailed all over the space shuttle that cooked up real good just dropping into our atmosphere. As you saw what happened to them with just a little damage on the wing.

I can't even fathom what type of material could withstand that sustained speed. We are talking roughly 186,000 miles per SECOND constant for a year to equal 1 light year.

So all of these stars that are hundreds,thousands,millions of light years away are not reachable even if we could get close to light speed. We would need to go much,much,much faster than light. I can't even wrap my brain around light speed, let alone going faster.

Then you'd need a guidance system to get you from point A to B without smashing into anything. Which you couldn't possibly see that far out ahead of you.

A lot of theory stuff that sounds great,but achieving it is well beyond our intelligence,if even possible at all.

So, I'm rather skeptical ET is anyplace near us. It would certainly seem like a big waste of space, if we're the only life forms who can even contemplate and question their own existence in the universe.
Ah a dream for sure.

I wish I was super human and could travel that fast personally

Vader, your current understanding of science is impressive. What if it is not enough?
What if there is a science that we have not discovered yet?

Talking about materials a table spoon of the sun would weight about 5 pounds on earth. A tablespoon of a neutron star would weigh 1 billion tons......Who knows what kinds of materials are out there? As far as travel it is certainly beyond our comprehension currently and seems impossible, but there is still tons of stuff we dont know. We only have about 20% of our own ocean mapped and we are finding new species all the time. We do not even know how we were created yet (scientifically).

Several points bear discussion:
  • What Vader says about the simple impossibility of interstellar travel is a fact. It's not a matter of improving technology or advancing science and instead simply the vast distances involved. The nearest potentially habitable planet, taking into consideration its size, distance from the sun, and temperature, is Gliese 667, located 22 light years from earth. That planet is the right distance from the star Gliese, and has a temperature of approximately 85 degrees F. Yes, Proxima Centauri B is a planet 4 light years away but the planet has a temperature of about -40 degrees F, which is not suitable for complex organisms needed to develop intelligent life.
  • Further, that presumes that the closest planet developed intelligent life, meaning that two planets with ideal conditions for life both miraculously underwent the process that resulted in intelligent life.
  • At 22 lights years away, the time needed to travel to earth would be vast. Immense. Hundreds, more likely thousands, of years.
  • Also, this entire sequence would mean that the intelligent life developing on Gliese 667 would be developing almost exactly the same time as intelligent life developed on earth. Yes, the timing might be off by 250,000 years or so but in reality that would be basically the same time for a universe 14 billion years old and a planet 4.5 billion years old. That seems so astonishingly unlikely that it seems impossible.
  • So the theory seems to be that humanity, which is perhaps 100,000 years old, must have been placed on earth by a very advanced civilization.
  • If so, why would this incredibly advanced civilization place a stunningly primitive life form on earth? Why?
  • If instead two forms of intelligent life developed as close as possible, at the same general time, then how would the more advanced civilization know to travel to earth 2,000 years ago - which is the minimum time the journey to earth would take? Or even 1,000 years ago, 500 years ago, 250 years ago? No radio or microwave signals left our planet until about 125 years ago, and would be so incredibly weak as to have no chance to reach another planet.
  • So intelligent life with the ability to travel billions upon billions of miles developed many light years from earth at the same time as life on earth, and just through another miracle picked the right planet - ours - to visit where no information would have ventured off our planet suggesting in any fashion this was the place to go? That is so breathtakingly unlikely as to be impossible.

This is, by far, the best thread I've seen on this board in a long time. Enjoy reading the various perspectives. There is a lot of hard truth when it comes to physics & science, but I do enjoy pondering the 'unknowns' that may be out there in the universe, that could wipe out everything we think we know in one fell swoop. 👽🛸

Talking about materials a table spoon of the sun would weight about 5 pounds on earth. A tablespoon of a neutron star would weigh 1 billion tons......Who knows what kinds of materials are out there? As far as travel it is certainly beyond our comprehension currently and seems impossible, but there is still tons of stuff we dont know. We only have about 20% of our own ocean mapped and we are finding new species all the time. We do not even know how we were created yet (scientifically).

Extreme cold, extreme heat,all sorts of radiation,pulsars,quasars...ugh. Just a bunch of places you definitely want to stay far away from in your ship.

You'll also need oxygen for your trip,food,a bathroom.

Hard to fathom what's truly out there. 😲

All of this alien stuff assumes evolution, which is extremely problematic. So problematic, that in the name of science they had to postulate a multiverse, just to increase the insane odds.

Spaceballs+Meme.png

There are a tremendous amount of assumptions going around in here.
Whatever these things are, we don't know that they are manned with anything organic. They statements that have been made regarding the speed and change of direction being way more than anything organic could handle would lead me to believe that maybe these things are not manned. At least not in the way we would think.
We don't know that they even come from another planet, heck maybe whatever 'it' or 'they' is have been here all along.
I think we as humans think we so much when in reality we don't know ****.
Its easy to say this or that isn't possible because of science and the shear size of space. There could be more to the story, much more.

There are a tremendous amount of assumptions going around in here.
Whatever these things are, we don't know that they are manned with anything organic. They statements that have been made regarding the speed and change of direction being way more than anything organic could handle would lead me to believe that maybe these things are not manned. At least not in the way we would think.
We don't know that they even come from another planet, heck maybe whatever 'it' or 'they' is have been here all along.
I think we as humans think we so much when in reality we don't know ****.
Its easy to say this or that isn't possible because of science and the shear size of space. There could be more to the story, much more.

No assumptions, just real honest reality, science,simple logic and common sense.

I'd love to have a highly advanced alien species around. Friendly and not wanting to eat us like we do chicken. That would totally suck. I'd love to make some great friendships with them.

Then I'd ask them to take a whole bunch of politicians away from this planet. Take the communists too. That'd be grand. Do whatever you want with them.

Could a civilization have been forced to leave their planet and simply floating around in space for thousands of years? Could a space station be survivable or self dependent for that long? You would need food, power/fuel. Power could be generated in different ways and i think food could be created or grown. Power could be anything from solar energy to ?? Could they harvest materials from space and have like a mini- nuke plant on board? Sure it is far fetched, but if the civilization is way ahead of us I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility

Could a civilization have been forced to leave their planet and simply floating around in space for thousands of years? Could a space station be survivable or self dependent for that long? You would need food, power/fuel. Power could be generated in different ways and i think food could be created or grown. Power could be anything from solar energy to ?? Could they harvest materials from space and have like a mini- nuke plant on board? Sure it is far fetched, but if the civilization is way ahead of us I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility
You are assuming "they" are organic.
Edit.. I see you are speaking generally though, and not necessarily about any specific ufo.