• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Virginia's Dem Governor racist yearbook photo

meanwhile

Gov Northam calls Virginia slaves "indentured servants"

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam: "We are now at the 400-year anniversary — just 90 miles from here in 1619. The first indentured servants from Africa landed on our shores in Old Point Comfort, what we call now Fort Monroe."

https://twitter.com/CBSThisMorning/...://www.democraticunderground.com/100211803362

I suspect he was looking for a less offensive word to use than "slaves"* but like most dumb Democrats he simply made a bad situation worse.

* You know, like some want to call illegal immigrants "undocumented workers".

And then Northam admitted his white privilege.

He will survive. I'll be shocked if he doesn't. As i said earlier, it all comes down to whether the Dems can afford to lose him or not. With the Lt Gov in even more trouble, they need Northam. He would have been toast if the Lt Gov didn't have worse problems.

And then Northam admitted his white privilege.

He will survive. I'll be shocked if he doesn't. As i said earlier, it all comes down to whether the Dems can afford to lose him or not. With the Lt Gov in even more trouble, they need Northam. He would have been toast if the Lt Gov didn't have worse problems.

That, plus the Democrat state AG is third in line and he's a face painter too. Fourth in the line of succession is the state speaker of the house and he's a Republican. That will not do, so a Democrat wearing blackface or a Klan hood is still better than a Republican. Obviously.

That, plus the Democrat state AG is third in line and he's a face painter too. Fourth in the line of succession is the state speaker of the house and he's a Republican. That will not do, so a Democrat wearing blackface or a Klan hood is still better than a Republican. Obviously.

If the Dems didn't have double standards, they would have no standards at all.

Because Republicans MIGHT be racist! Lol, makes perfect sense in the minds of Progressives.

Because Republicans MIGHT be racist! Lol, makes perfect sense in the minds of Progressives.

Gottcha

pback3-northam-fairfax-impeachment-insurance.jpg

If the Dems didn't have double standards, they would have no standards at all.

If there is such a thing as 'post of the year', and there should be (prize like a small island or a used corporate jet), this here post should certainly be considered.

I’m already seeing “is blackface really that bad?’ articles in the lefty press. They are nothing if not predictable.

Last edited:

I think they could stack it differently. Gov resigns and Lt. Gov ascends. New Gov gets to appt Lt Gov, I think. He appoints a Dem and resigns. New Dem gov appts a Dem as Lt Gov. keeps it in the family.

I think they could stack it differently. Gov resigns and Lt. Gov ascends. New Gov gets to appt Lt Gov, I think. He appoints a Dem and resigns. New Dem gov appts a Dem as Lt Gov. keeps it in the family.

Depends on the state constitution. The state house is apparently controlled by the GOP so if they have to approve an appointment they could give the Governor a hard time. I'm more concerned with how someone that dumb graduates from medical school and becomes a doctor.

I’m already seeing “is blackface really that bad?’ articles in the lefty press. They are nothing if not predictable.

They should've prefaced, minus Megyn Kelly (not even wearing it but mentioning it), is blackface really that bad?

I don't really understand "black face". I guess it was before my time. The only reason it is an issue is because there are certain groups you can't offend and there is only one group that you can offend all you want with no repercussions.

Seems like there would be a difference between using black to look like a famous person as part of a costume and black face for
a white person to look black. Are masks the same, is it offensive for a white person to where a black mask and a black person
to where a white mask?

Seems like there would be a difference between using black to look like a famous person as part of a costume and black face for
a white person to look black. Are masks the same, is it offensive for a white person to where a black mask and a black person
to where a white mask?

kotm-snl-deep-thoughts-full.jpg

to where a white mask?

I can honestly say I would not have thought twice 30 years ago about dressing up as say, Diana Ross and darkening my face. I would considerate it a tribute, not something I was doing to mock her or the color of her skin.

While I wouldn't do it today, that IMO is nothing like the blackface minstrel show costume on Northam's yearbook page. Those were shows specifically created to mock African Americans as stupid and useless. And of course nothing like dressing up as a KKK member.

Dressing up as someone, including changing your skin color to match that of the person, is not racist. Period.

Now if the intent of your "costume" is to harken back to the Minstrel shows of the 1900's then yes, it is racist. And HOW you act when dressed up is ten times more important that the outfit itself. If you act the caricature of blacks, if you exaggerate ebonics, if you act the fool, if you act like a thug, then yes, that is racist.

I would argue the way Jimmie Kimmel acted as Karl Malone on the Man Show is more racist than the fact he colored his skin dark, but that's just me.

It's all perspective. And there is no hard and fast rule about racism (which is where we really get off the tracks in my opinion).

I can honestly say I would not have thought twice 30 years ago about dressing up as say, Diana Ross and darkening my face. I would considerate it a tribute, not something I was doing to mock her or the color of her skin.

While I wouldn't do it today, that IMO is nothing like the blackface minstrel show costume on Northam's yearbook page. Those were shows specifically created to mock African Americans as stupid and useless. And of course nothing like dressing up as a KKK member.

that was pretty much all that Megyn Kelly said and she got killed for it.

We have gotten to a point where the only context that matters in any situation is WHO said something, not what was said or done.

Democrat blackface - OK
Jimmy Kimmel blackface - OK
Megyn Kelly simply comments on blackface - run her out of town

Democrat blackface - OK
Jimmy Kimmel blackface - OK
Megyn Kelly simply comments on blackface - run her out of town

Jimmy Kimmel's whole routine was pretty bad, but he's in the club.

to where a white mask?
Is it okay to self-identify as another race or is it cultural appropriation? I’m confused now.

Self identifying with another race isn't really the same as dressing up in a costume for a party. If someone dresses as a bumblebee for a party, do they self identify as a bumblebee.

Self identifying with another race isn't really the same as dressing up in a costume for a party. If someone dresses as a bumblebee for a party, do they self identify as a bumblebee.

But if say, someone self-identified as Native American when they are less than half of a percent Native American? Is that ok?

At the same halloween party with the rappers, there was a guy who went as Christopher Reeve. He had a wheelchair. It was great. Today people would be horrified by that party. There would be lots of triggered screaming at the sky.

At the same halloween party with the rappers, there was a guy who went as Christopher Reeve. He had a wheelchair. It was great. Today people would be horrified by that party. There would be lots of triggered screaming at the sky.

Couldn't agree more. Pretty soon EVERY minority group is off limits to be parodied. Can't dress up as a disabled person obviously. What if I dressed up like Caitlyn Jenner? Am I offending trans people? Can I even make a joke about Caitlyn Jenner?

This country talks about over the top P.C. culture and this whole blackface issue from stuff done 25-40 years ago is EXACTLY what we are talking about. The outcry far outweighs the harm.