• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Voice of the steelers Retiring

Hate when old school people retire. But for them it is probably welcomed...

Best wishes, Bill. True old-school style with a great voice as well.

Long overdue..
Did a great job at one time but has slipped alot the last 4-5 years..

I hear he is still going to do Pitt basketball & football though..

Bob Pompiani would be perfect. He has always done a good job during preseason games. Nick Calus (I’m probably spelling his name wrong) he’s a producer with the Fan. I’ve heard him do play by play during some basketball games and is very good.

Bob Pompiani would be perfect. He has always done a good job during preseason games. Nick Calus (I’m probably spelling his name wrong) he’s a producer with the Fan. I’ve heard him do play by play during some basketball games and is very good.
Pomp is horrible at play calling. He talks over everything, just to hear himself talk, and never announces formations.
I hope the Steelers take their time in their search. I can't think of anyone currently in Pittsburgh that qualifies.
The Pens and the Pirates announcers are as vanilla as you can find.

Reactions: MTC
no i dont have a link. But Bill Hillgrove announced on dve this morning he is retiring.

I remember missing Jack Flemming. Now i imagine i will miss Hilgrove.

I hope they get some local talent and not some nameless grey face with no character.

Thanks Bill.
Say what you want about Bill, he wasn't boring.

Think I’mma retire too. Lol. The steelers just don’t appeal at the moment. Perhaps a break away from the nfl is needed.

Pomp is horrible at play calling. He talks over everything, just to hear himself talk, and never announces formations.
I hope the Steelers take their time in their search. I can't think of anyone currently in Pittsburgh that qualifies.
The Pens and the Pirates announcers are as vanilla as you can find.
Not a fan of Pompeieni.
He’s bland

Always sad when the old-school announcer retires. He had a lot of great calls over the years and gets to relive those memories watching highlights. I hope he enjoys his retirement!

Last edited:
thought Cope and or Stryker was packing it in ....

He’s probably getting it “packed” in ——————- ( a little dark humor)

I truely miss Myron Cope and his beautiful antics.

Salute the nation

He’s probably getting it “packed” in ——————- ( a little dark humor)

I truely miss Myron Cope and his beautiful antics.

Salute the nation

Not sure it was dark, he might have motel 6 left the light on.

😁

My favorite memory of Hilgrove, and I don’t remember what game it was, is completely missing the play-by-play trying to get Myron to calm down. “Myron…Myron!” Maybe my favorite memory of Myron as well. Hilarious.

Meh Lange is retired, Hillgrove is gone.. cope is dead... the announcers left are bland and boring
Not quite the impact of pbp announcers, but John Barbaro, Tim DeBacco, and Randy Cosgrove will forever be the stadium/arena voices of the Penguins, Pirates, and Steelers for me.