• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What happened to the Cap Space?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I thought they had something like 17m to work with. Then I saw they are like barely under or slightly over depending on the site you use. I realize there a couple easy cuts like WJ3 , and some might say Trubisky (but you still need a start capable backup), but you gotta pay people and they got a boatload of FA's. Jesus they are paying the Q (with Tubisky) about a third of what some teams have to. How could they possibly be in this situation?

to your point WJ3 wont be here on that salary next year. Minkah jumps to 18M TJ is at 30M DJ jumps to 16M which is fine for a number 1.

Chucky at 13 mil is painful. Cam is 22M. will he take a pay cut? that would be painful to ask but it is a business and I could almost see that happening.

They have time and a lot of ways to go. I hope they dont kick the can down the rod on TJ and Mincah.

to your point WJ3 wont be here on that salary next year. Minkah jumps to 18M TJ is at 30M DJ jumps to 16M which is fine for a number 1.

Chucky at 13 mil is painful. Cam is 22M. will he take a pay cut? that would be painful to ask but it is a business and I could almost see that happening.

They have time and a lot of ways to go. I hope they dont kick the can down the rod on TJ and Mincah.
Cam is a team guy, so is Watt. They will adjust if needed. I really am not concerned with money this team knows how to work it as good as the next guy

Cam is a team guy, so is Watt. They will adjust if needed. I really am not concerned with money this team knows how to work it as good as the next guy
But their work it gets them over the cap paying chump change to the most expensive position.

But Trubisky needs to be replaced by a comparable can win 2 out of 3 games backup which is just robbing Peter to Pay Paul.

I don't think so. Look at the backups to the best QB's - Mahomes, Allen, etc. Leftovers like Chad Henne and ... Trubisky, I guess.

Sign a FA after cuts. Backup QB's are backups for a reason. If the plan is to rely on a backup QB to win games, you need a new plan.

I don't think so. Look at the backups to the best QB's - Mahomes, Allen, etc. Leftovers like Chad Henne and ... Trubisky, I guess.

Sign a FA after cuts. Backup QB's are backups for a reason. If the plan is to rely on a backup QB to win games, you need a new plan.
On those teams if they lose the Q for the season they are ******. If they lose the Q for three games they make playoffs anyhow. This line is much thinner.

13M for an above average RT won't cut it. That was money given to a theoretical LT starter, cut Chuks or see if he takes a 5M paycut if he wants to stay. If he walks draft a stud LT and move Moore to RT to compete with an 6M vet free agent signing

I thought they had something like 17m to work with. Then I saw they are like barely under or slightly over depending on the site you use. I realize there a couple easy cuts like WJ3 , and some might say Trubisky (but you still need a start capable backup), but you gotta pay people and they got a boatload of FA's. Jesus they are paying the Q (with Tubisky) about a third of what some teams have to. How could they possibly be in this situation?
I told everyone when we got wj3 last year he was eating up all tge space left… part of that projection was rollover and he killed like almost 3 million of it… then if we kept him it was 12 mil more this year…. Its why I didn’t want him, despite liking his play pre back issues…

Last year had we made some of the moves suggested by fans here it would have opened up more space this season..

Look the reality is that they are going to extend Cam and give him some money in a voidable year and the Watt and Mincah deals were made to have money moved around… but the idea that we are going to bring in a premium UFA was always laughable… we will resign Sutton and maybe try to extend Muth…

wj3 getting cut will open up just over 12 million
Trabisky getting axed or traded would save 8 million, but then you have to get another qb in here

Now if we traded DJ before march we would have a little more room like 6 million or so, but a lot more next year… his dead cap space looks horrendous but only because his salary is guaranteed I think…

The other obvious thing is to cut or trade gunner and save 2 million. we have too many of his type at wr as it is

The thing that they absolutely should do is try to trade Chuks… he is paid llike a meh left tackle and playing right… this is a deep draft at tackle, grab two… and honestly if you have to play scott at RT, that isn’t a terrible drop off from chuks… people are desperate for starting linemen right now… maybe he brings us a fifth or sixth or something

wj3 getting cut will open up just over 12 million
Trabisky getting axed or traded would save 8 million, but then you have to get another qb in here

Spotrac had his cap hit listed at $12.6 million, but changed that to $10.6 million. With a $2.6 million signing bonus, the cap savings would indeed be $8 million.

Draft a legit developmental, backup QB with pick 233 or sign a vet FA for $2 million. What's Tebow up to these days?? Jeez, the 49ers are in the championship game with the 276th pick at QB.

And for **** sake, Stephon Tuitt costs more on the cap in 2023 than Najee Harris. He kinda ****** the Steelers.

Spotrac had his cap hit listed at $12.6 million, but changed that to $10.6 million. With a $2.6 million signing bonus, the cap savings would indeed be $8 million.

Draft a legit developmental, backup QB with pick 233 or sign a vet FA for $2 million. What's Tebow up to these days?? Jeez, the 49ers are in the championship game with the 276th pick at QB.

And for **** sake, Stephon Tuitt costs more on the cap in 2023 than Najee Harris. He kinda ****** the Steelers.
Yep… Tuitt signed a deal that was supposed to be long term and adjustable and instead quit . I don’t begrudge him, but he should have returned the pro rated signing bonus… the steelers could have recuperated it but chose not to

or hope Dobbs is cut and bring him back as solid backup.

I think Dobbs would be an affordable option to drop Trubisky. But let's be clear about drafting a number 2. It's a wasted pick unless KP fails and the pick succeeds. And 9 qbs were picked last year. Two had success and 7 mostly sat including the heralded Willis who couldn't throw for 100 yards in any of three games. But I'd be up for giving Dobbs 3m and saving 5 on Truby.
And again CFL Nathan Rourke would have been an extremely affordable 3rd with the possibility of moving up to two.

I think Dobbs would be an affordable option to drop Trubisky. But let's be clear about drafting a number 2. It's a wasted pick unless KP fails and the pick succeeds. And 9 qbs were picked last year. Two had success and 7 mostly sat including the heralded Willis who couldn't throw for 100 yards in any of three games. But I'd be up for giving Dobbs 3m and saving 5 on Truby.
And again CFL Nathan Rourke would have been an extremely affordable 3rd with the possibility of moving up to two.
Yeah, if you are drafting a qb this year, he is going to be a 3rd qb…

Then there's Oladokun, our 7th rd. draft pick last year who's on the Chiefs PS right now. He's not a veteran, but he had one camp with the Steelers so the coaches sorta know him.

Obviously the STEELERS have seen him and his ability, but I’d seriously look at him as a #2 option for the up-coming season.

I’d also keep track of Rudolf for the #2 option as well. Not sure if he would come back but if he didn’t get any offers…..

Salute the nation

PS

I’d take Dobbs as a #2 in a heart-beat.!!

I’d also Give BLITZ the respect he deserves………….. !!!

Salute the nation