• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What happened to the Cap Space?

he would be playing for 3M this season, maybe offering him a $44M / 4 years contract with a bit more than half guaranteed before the season opens would entice him to sign. The Steelers would keep him up until he hits 29 years old.

That would be excellent value for both him and the STEELERS.

Salute the nation

I think your number one corner and ILB need to come out of this draft and won't cost for 4 years.
CB maybe but right now, ILB is 4th on our list of needs. OL, DL, and CB should be our 3 first and second-round picks. You might get a guy ready to start in the 3rd or 4th but we typically don't have the coaches to get them ready. Sometimes.

Lol...... probably more so for the Steelers. He’d be a fool not to explore at those figures in his prime. Bet you someone would offer 15 million a season.

Oh, I agree with you but I do have a spare B & G colored lenses glasses I will loan to you so thus you might agree with me………….

This “cap” will get dicey but that is Kahn’s specialty as well.

Salute the nation

Are you talking the first 2 rounds? What round are you talking?
So I see all three of the first picks as needing to be starters or contributing out of the gate. They are all top 50 picks. What they retain will determine the need. I don't disagree with OL but if they rework Heyward and have Leal, they could neglect DL and go OL, ILB and Corner by BPA.

Lol...... probably more so for the Steelers. He’d be a fool not to explore at those figures in his prime. Bet you someone would offer 15 million a season.
Agree but he is getting 8 millions more this upcoming season to entice that deal, changing 4 extra millions per season (16M) for 8M upfront cash in hand. Else he gets 3M and the risk of an injury that takes him through a really rough road back.

Some might say he'd be a fool not to take it

Maybe. We need a No. 1 CB and No. 1 ILB. Do you want to put another $15+ million at OLB?
The defense works when they can get to the quarterback. If you're paying players in the NFL right now they either need to add to the passing game or stop the passing game.

The defense works when they can get to the quarterback. If you're paying players in the NFL right now they either need to add to the passing game or stop the passing game.
Huge drop off when Highsmith or Watt isn't on the field. Sure could keep them fresher with better rotational talent. And of all the defensive schemes the Steelers might be the most dependent on a good pass rush. If the BPA is clearly OLBer or DE. I wouldn't be disappointed with either.

I want them to maximize those early picks. Get the best value outside of QB, RB....

Agree but he is getting 8 millions more this upcoming season to entice that deal, changing 4 extra millions per season (16M) for 8M upfront cash in hand. Else he gets 3M and the risk of an injury that takes him through a really rough road back.

I’ve always liked the “PRO-ACTIVE” approach and agree on the make an offer earlier the better. Your numbers would be awesome if he would sign for that.

CAM is another player contract that needs to be addressed earlier the better. I hope something can be reached for both player and team sake.

Salute the nation

The defense is super weird… its like jeckel and hyde… its really talented and sometimes its just not good… Austin isn’t as good as DLB or Butler at disguising blitzes… they blitz a lot on early downs but I think they play third downs and long downs too conservatively… it gives them a high blitz rate but low results… they were not great at pressuring the qb this year, but had a lot of timely pressures down the stretch, meaning that its probably playcalling….

Huge drop off when Highsmith or Watt isn't on the field. Sure could keep them fresher with better rotational talent. And of all the defensive schemes the Steelers might be the most dependent on a good pass rush. If the BPA is clearly OLBer or DE. I wouldn't be disappointed with either.

I want them to maximize those early picks. Get the best value outside of QB, RB....

GREAT post slash, thank you for it and a lot of others of your’s.

I agree on the BPA and it would be nice if that was a need for this team.

We have the need(s) pretty well evaluated to point but the STEELERS may see differently.

I’m (in no order) OL / DL / CB / ILB / OLB / OC / HC. Last two are subjectionable.

Salute the nation

The defense is super weird… its like jeckel and hyde… its really talented and sometimes its just not good… Austin isn’t as good as DLB or Butler at disguising blitzes… they blitz a lot on early downs but I think they play third downs and long downs too conservatively… it gives them a high blitz rate but low results… they were not great at pressuring the qb this year, but had a lot of timely pressures down the stretch, meaning that its probably playcalling….

AGREE

I think we are going to lose the wrong cog (Flores) in the defensive coaching staff.

Salute the nation

I agree with your point as well. But.......
The not playing all out ,or dog- ******* it on plays because you don’t want The risk of injury because your contract is coming up makes me want to puke. I swear,as soon as that mindset gets in your head,that’s when injuries happen.
I wouldn’t even want those type of players on my team. Makes me sick when I see all those college players opting out of their bowl games and playoffs after playing with a team for years reaping all the benefits. Letting down their teammates. It pisses me off. And yes ,of course I get why they do it. Doesn’t make it right. It pissed me off when Kenny did it as well.

I’m hoping instead of that type of ***** mindset Highsmith plays balls to the walls.....full year with TJ....maybe 20 sacks for each.

I agree with your point as well. But.......
The not playing all out ,or dog- ******* it on plays because you don’t want The risk of injury because your contract is coming up makes me want to puke. I swear,as soon as that mindset gets in your head,that’s when injuries happen.
I wouldn’t even want those type of players on my team. Makes me sick when I see all those college players opting out of their bowl games and playoffs after playing with a team for years reaping all the benefits. Letting down their teammates. It pisses me off. And yes ,of course I get why they do it. Doesn’t make it right. It pissed me off when Kenny did it as well.

I’m hoping instead of that type of ***** mindset Highsmith plays balls to the walls.....full year with TJ....maybe 20 sacks for each.
Thats why I want the FO to try to sign him early, it's their only chance. He won't be affordable after the season. If he pass on the team friendly but safe deal then whatever, at least they tried. Then is hoping he plays balls to the wall as you say.

Yes, but you still need to stop the run. We have witnessed first hand not being able to stop the run and we have seen this year teams running more and dominating games. Scoring was down a good bit this year. You need to be able to dominate in the trenches on both sides of the ball. A crappy DL and your OLB's (and the rest of the D) will suffer as a result.

Yes, but you still need to stop the run. We have witnessed first hand not being able to stop the run and we have seen this year teams running more and dominating games. Scoring was down a good bit this year. You need to be able to dominate in the trenches on both sides of the ball. A crappy DL and your OLB's (and the rest of the D) will suffer as a result.

100% agree, the trenches is the starting point of everything, and I MEAN everything.

It’s not a hard concept to comprehend.

Salute the nation

100% agree, the trenches is the starting point of everything, and I MEAN everything.

It’s not a hard concept to comprehend.

Salute the nation
That's why I still have a problem when we go with 2 DL on the field. That gives us two 300-pounders (give or take 10 pounds) and our two OLB's who are around 250 a piece going against 5 OL who are all above 300 pounds. Speed and strength helps but size is a huge factor especially if the team decides to run on 3rd and long (we give up way too many of those). We are giving up 10-20 pounds on our DL per player and 60+ on our OLB's. Your ILB's are also exposed in this scenario. I just hate it.

That's why I still have a problem when we go with 2 DL on the field. That gives us two 300-pounders (give or take 10 pounds) and our two OLB's who are around 250 a piece going against 5 OL who are all above 300 pounds. Speed and strength helps but size is a huge factor especially if the team decides to run on 3rd and long (we give up way too many of those). We are giving up 10-20 pounds on our DL per player and 60+ on our OLB's. Your ILB's are also exposed in this scenario. I just hate it.

That 2DL scheme is a Tomlin thingy and he thinks it is designed to stop the big splash play. It seems to give up as many as it stops.

NEVER have been a fan of that especially when in a Goal Line situation.

Salute the nation

That 2DL scheme is a Tomlin thingy and he thinks it is designed to stop the big splash play. It seems to give up as many as it stops.

NEVER have been a fan of that especially when in a Goal Line situation.

Salute the nation
it seems like they learned their lesson for the final stretch. Any combination with 3 DL of Heyward, Larry O, Leal, Milk, Adams, Rookie DE or DT is badly needed at all times. I'm all for a Siaki Ika (2nd.b) or Mazi Smith (3rd) drafting to get that NT in the middle but if Dexter is there available in 2b too we might take him to be the Heyward heir. I wouldn't even mind double dipping with a Dexter in the 2nd + a mammoth NT in the 4th.

Imagine Cam + Dexter + Larry O. Add Leal against FB/ H-Backs heavy formations with Adams and Milk rotating. Of course this all dependes on keeping Larry O in free agency, if not I can bet you we are not getting out of the 2nd round without a top DL prospect.

I mean that might be true for a very small handful of teams, but not overall… its all about paying the right players… Mahomes carried the second highest cap hit of any quarterback, and tge Chiefs are absolutely contenders…
But you look at the bengals… yeah burrow is on his rookie contract, but it still carries an almost 10 million dollar cap hit…

Lamar Jackson was playing on his 5 th year option and was 7th in the league in cap hit….

So the rookie contract window argument is basically that a team has three years to win, since rookie qbs rarely win anything and fifth year contracts are expensive cap wise …

Tge data doesn’t really show this…

Again the problem isn’t overpaying franchise qbs… its that Ryan Tannehill has the largest cap hit among qbs… cousins and goff are 3 and 4, and wentz is 6th…

Those guys are on teams that could afford another impact player if they had the typical 7-10 million dollar QB … and those are qbs that really need a team around them… the argument should be that if you give a good starting qb franchise qb money, you are sunk… because that is truer than worrying that patrick mahomes money will sink the chiefs or that the bills will struggle when allens big money deal hits next season…

To steal a baseball term, a franchise QBs WAR is so much higher than any other position that they are a legitimate asset even at a high cap cost

Its when you get the average QB earning twice his value that you hurt yourself…
like having a QB named Carr