• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What happened to the Cap Space?

Huge drop off when Highsmith or Watt isn't on the field. Sure could keep them fresher with better rotational talent. And of all the defensive schemes the Steelers might be the most dependent on a good pass rush. If the BPA is clearly OLBer or DE. I wouldn't be disappointed with either.

I want them to maximize those early picks. Get the best value outside of QB, RB....
The disappointing stats from FA Reed, with TJ missing so many games, show the value of Highsmith right now.

The disappointing stats from FA Reed, with TJ missing so many games, show the value of Highsmith right now.
You see first rounders that don't crack 10 sack seasons in their whole rookie contract and beyond (example clowney and with Garrett o the other side ), yet our mid/late 3rd is making it happen. We can't let him go without exploring an extension

Last edited:
it seems like they learned their lesson for the final stretch. Any combination with 3 DL of Heyward, Larry O, Leal, Milk, Adams, Rookie DE or DT is badly needed at all times. I'm all for a Siaki Ika (2nd.b) or Mazi Smith (3rd) drafting to get that NT in the middle but if Dexter is there available in 2b too we might take him to be the Heyward heir. I wouldn't even mind double dipping with a Dexter in the 2nd + a mammoth NT in the 4th.

Imagine Cam + Dexter + Larry O. Add Leal against FB/ H-Backs heavy formations with Adams and Milk rotating. Of course this all dependes on keeping Larry O in free agency, if not I can bet you we are not getting out of the 2nd round without a top DL prospect.
I hear you. I would have no problem if we took 2 OL and 1 DL in our first 4 picks or 1 OL and 2 DL. If they hit with the picks, they could solidify the trenches for the next decade.

I hear you. I would have no problem if we took 2 OL and 1 DL in our first 4 picks or 1 OL and 2 DL. If they hit with the picks, they could solidify the trenches for the next decade.
Pending FA signings, I'd like to see OL, CB, DL and ILB with top 4 picks.

The Tuitt situation has had an unfortunately negative affect on both the roster and the cap. Hope they are not duping this for W Jackson, because his signing only makes sense if he is slated to fill thw CB need next season.

But Trubisky needs to be replaced by a comparable can win 2 out of 3 games backup which is just robbing Peter to Pay Paul.
I think you can get Dobbs or Dalton for 3 million. Nets 5 million by cutting him.

Dobbs not sure about Red Rocket.
He's currently playing under a 1 year 3 million dollar deal. Can't imagine his value has increased too much if any. I honestly would not go more than 3 million on a backup. Taylor Heinicke, Flacco, Keenum, Minshew, Stidham, Bridgewater, Beathard, and guys like Tyrod Taylor will be released as well. I don't see it being too hard to grab a decent spot starting QB for 3 million.

Just like Bud Dupree

In “robin” uniform only.

Highsmith is way ahead of DUPREE in the same amount of corresponding time served here.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked bud Dupree, but he was slower to develope.

Salute the nation

I thought they had something like 17m to work with. Then I saw they are like barely under or slightly over depending on the site you use. I realize there a couple easy cuts like WJ3 , and some might say Trubisky (but you still need a start capable backup), but you gotta pay people and they got a boatload of FA's. Jesus they are paying the Q (with Tubisky) about a third of what some teams have to. How could they possibly be in this situation?
The O-line is playing better and to me that says you can dump Trubisky and keep Mason a while longer. The advantage of Trubisky was his mobilty with a shaky O-line...that is not so important now. Mason is a UFA this year( i think...) offer him a team friendly deal, if he refuses then let him walk and pick up any decent arm off the QB heap. Roll with Kenny and pray he doesn't get injured. No way I pay MT that money, and no way I give Mason the same deal he's been getting. They both aren't that good anyway.

The O-line is playing better and to me that says you can dump Trubisky and keep Mason a while longer. The advantage of Trubisky was his mobilty with a shaky O-line...that is not so important now. Mason is a UFA this year( i think...) offer him a team friendly deal, if he refuses then let him walk and pick up any decent arm off the QB heap. Roll with Kenny and pray he doesn't get injured. No way I pay MT that money, and no way I give Mason the same deal he's been getting. They both aren't that good anyway.
I think there is a better chance I will be the backup in Pittsburgh then Mason Rudolph. The Steelers will be team 32 on his list.

I think there is a better chance I will be the backup in Pittsburgh then Mason Rudolph. The Steelers will be team 32 on his list.

Never say never,……… if all those teams don’t come a calling………. You never know?

Salute the nation

Yeah I don't understand why a guy wouldn't stay on a team where you know the system well and you can prolong your career by playing well enough when called upon because of that familiarity. That keeps your stock up. You go somewhere else where the personnel and scheme situation are different, s*** the bed when called upon, people perceive you differently and suddenly you are out the door being offered vet minimum(if even that) by the Jets or the Lions..LOL... How many backups have we seen that happen to? Too many to count. Sure you take the pay cut up front, but when you are a company guy you put a lot more years in. That's what I've observed anyway, ask Charlie Batch.

Yeah I don't understand why a guy wouldn't stay on a team where you know the system well and you can prolong your career by playing well enough when called upon because of that familiarity. That keeps your stock up. You go somewhere else where the personnel and scheme situation are different, s*** the bed when called upon, people perceive you differently and suddenly you are out the door being offered vet minimum(if even that) by the Jets or the Lions..LOL... How many backups have we seen that happen to? Too many to count. Sure you take the pay cut up front, but when you are a company guy you put a lot more years in. That's what I've observed anyway, ask Charlie Batch.
Because until he finds out for certain he cannot start somewhere he is going to try. And not only can you not begrudge that you wouldn't want him if he didn't think that way.

Because until he finds out for certain he cannot start somewhere he is going to try. And not only can you not begrudge that you wouldn't want him if he didn't think that way.
If that guy thinks he is going to start ANYWHERE he is delusional. I don't think he is though, he knows the score and if he leaves it's because he's going to get a better backup deal. I don't begrudge him that, but again look at Batch; a few years with the Lions then spent all his career with the Steelers as a backup. In all fairness he is a hometown guy and that might have played into his decision, but the guys that came in for him in Detroit were gone long before Batch's career came to an end( Ty Detmer, etc.) So, you can get a slightly bigger payout somewhere and take a chance your career has legs, or you can play it conservative and collect checks for a longer period of time barring a career ending injury.

TOTALLY get and hear what you are saying. I just think if no one comes a knocking that maybe the steelers make a play to keep him.

Charlie Batch for an example, made a hell of a good living as a back up and I think Rudolf has enough in him to do so as well.

Salute the nation

I get rid of Bush, Wormley, Derek Watt, McFarland and maybe Marcus Allen...if anything just for the idiocy he displayed against the Raiders, although that probably endeared him to Mediocre Mikey even more.
Defense: $133,942,000
Offense: $87,714,604
S. Teams: $ 6,600,000

You can see where the majority of the money is going, I am so done with Bush and Wormley even though Worm stepped it up a little at the end of the season he is not worth the pay he's getting. Correction: McFarland is not a free agent, I have just wanted him gone for a while and got over zealous. Of course Mason can go too if he won't take a team friendly deal.