• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What Needs to Happen to avoid another winning, whining season in 24

It's not sexy but rebuild the lines and find the best coaches for those lines. That's the foundation.
Sure it is sexy. Just depends on your likes in regards to football. I like the old school smash and play physical defense approach.

Those where the days ...

You're talking about coaching and schemes but we don't have the talent. The draft and the cap need to be aced. QB needs to be locked down by someone.

There are holes everywhere in the roster and a few players who aren't worth 5 or 10 percent of the cap. They have to take less or move on.

I'd love to see a bunch of big guys drafted in anticipation of either KP or the guy who is going to come in and take us back to the AFCCG.

Corners. Big guys. A QB. A punter, for the love of all things unholy.
No QB before the 4th round, too many other needs. We will fill either the tackle or center hole in free agency as well as a vet QB backup or 2. My guess is tackle and maybe even another guard unless we can afford someone like Cushenberry to be our Jeff Hartings bridge center. This frees up to take the bpa at O-Line, Corner, MLB or D Line early. Not sure i love the MLB options so I could see a day 2 pick there.

The biggest issue though is offensive coaching. I don't think our talent is as bad as the scheme made it look. overly simplistic and predictable and worst of all way to totally risk adverse in the regular passing game early in the game. I really think most of Kenny's issues came from risk adverse coaching that was too afraid of turnovers. That could be Tomlin's fault or a failure to communicate or to understand on Canadas part the right balance between risk and reward. Aside from some colossally stupid trick plays of extremely poor design and or execution. Hopefully with a seeming adult now in charge of the offensive room we will see a better balance as we did with Kenny after the glorious firing, until he got hurt, and then again with Mason after we suffered through 2.5 weeks too many with Mitch the *****.

We could be a lot closer than many think.
If not, Bacon.

Drafts are hit or miss and we all know this

Bungles went from complete mismanagement and irrelevance to complete mismanagement and competitive based on 3 years of successful drafting. If the Mike Brown bungles can get better simply by drafting well... Well

Referring to the time of AJ Green 2011. Guys like Green make FO and Coaches look really good

Beef up the lines and draft/trade properly and a little good fortune and be One of those teams that goes from not making the playoffs one year to the championship game the next. KP can make this very easy on us
They still suck at drafting to protect Burrow, their biggest asset. At least we were smart enough to get Jones last year.

It's not sexy but rebuild the lines and find the best coaches for those lines. That's the foundation.

This ^^. You can't build your house strong without a good foundation.

We've already know what mediocre lines give us.

The same goes for other teams with mediocre lines. We've seen plenty of superbowls won and lost with great lines vs a line that's subpar.

They make everyone else's job easier.

Well put.
Like I’ve said elsewhere, there are 6 or 7 teams in the AFC that are so far ahead of us in talent and coaching that it isn’t funny.
Didn’t have to be this way but Shades and his ego always thought he was pretty close. Maybe this year he learned he has a ways to go.
You know Ron I really like to believe that. Hope is a beautiful thing. But when I look at the available options after the season and what they did in terms of hires. Pretty damn tough.

The Steelers are what they are. An organization owned and operated by the woke Rooney family that is more concerned with public perception than winning SBs.
They won’t move away from a HC that has not produced a measly playoff win in seven seasons and counting, has won nothing since 2008, continues to botch player development and hires incompetence as coaches.
I don’t see much changes in 24 most likely another 9-8 or 10-7 season and hit or miss making the playoffs only to get bounced in the first round.
Wash, rinse, and repeat. Finish in the middle, draft in the middle, and stay in the middle.
Rooney is the chef of the perfect mediocre recipe and his assistant chef is shades.
So don’t expect much to change until Rooney wants it to change.

Well put.
Like I’ve said elsewhere, there are 6 or 7 teams in the AFC that are so far ahead of us in talent and coaching that it isn’t funny.
Didn’t have to be this way but Shades and his ego always thought he was pretty close. Maybe this year he learned he has a ways to go.

I would venture to say, it was “ART” induced.

Salute the nation

They still suck at drafting to protect Burrow, their biggest asset. At least we were smart enough to get Jones last year.

Yeppers,……………………. Thaen put him opposit his natural strength and 1/2 way through the season. Smart enough needs more “SMART”.

Salute the nation

• Haha
Reactions: JMM