• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What Needs to Happen to avoid another winning, whining season in 24

DIC, MAY have not conveyed very well but what he was trying to tell yaz was that even in coach Cowher's down years, I felt like he would bring us out (had a chance to rise) and NOT be stuck in Groundhog Day of mediocracy as to how Tomlin has us now.

How many here ever felt doom with Cowher's teams as they do with Tomlin's teams, the last 10+ years.

Salute the nation
Never. And well stated.

DIC, MAY have not conveyed very well but what he was trying to tell yaz was that even in coach Cowher's down years, I felt like he would bring us out (had a chance to rise) and NOT be stuck in Groundhog Day of mediocracy as to how Tomlin has us now.

How many here ever felt doom with Cowher's teams as they do with Tomlin's teams, the last 10+ years.
Well yeah, because Chin never went 7 years without a playoff win. In fact I think he never went more than 3. And looking at the rest of the AFC doesn’t give me the warm fuzzies.

A ground hog day movie shirt with Tomlin's face over Bill Murray couod be a good seller outside stadium next year.
Groundhogs-Day-mashup-696x383.jpg
SOME COMPUTER WHIZ,, MAKE IT WORK

People in positions of power often say one thing for public consumption and another thing behind closed doors. It’s up to us to read between the lines.
Shades will get his two year extension but after Deuce’s end of season presser I get the feeling this will be his last unless he makes a deep playoff run.
Which given the current state of the AFC, is unlikely.
If he gets any extension before a playoff win it’s more of the same

I’d give him this put up or shut up year, no more

What happens after deuce coughs up a two year extension and Shades gets 1 playoff win in year 3/last year

Then I’d imagine 3 more year extension

The madness has to stop, and the time for it to stop has already passed imo

If Bill taught us anything, 3 years of no wins should be the max

Media perspective really drives coaches longevity...

Cowher, for instance... wasnt beloved by a lot of media guys... he was gruff and short with them and didnt cater to them... at the start of 2004 there was a growing clamor to fire him among the press... tge narrative was that he had missed the playoffs in 4 of the past six years at that point

Bear in mind that he made the playoffs his first six years, and three of those were afc cg trips with one super bowl loss... and that the down years were not really as bad as the press made it out to be.

After a really good start in 98, the injuries caught up with them they went from 5-2 to 7-4, then lost their final five games for cowjers first losing season. Lack of depth killed them in 99 as well... losing 7 of tgeir final 8 games, but by 00, tge team was rebuilt. That team started 0-3 but went 9-4 from that point. You could clearly see the foundation of the super bowl team starting to show...

2001 was fantastic, and added another AFCCG, 2002 ended on a BS call... 2003 was just a fluky, injury prone season... so the reality was Cowher has a 24 game stretch over 3 years while he rebuilt the 90's blitzburgh group into the 00's soon to be championship squad.

So we have a ton of early success, a rebuild phase, and then more success with one isolated injury driven bad season

Media perspective really drives coaches longevity...

Cowher, for instance... wasnt beloved by a lot of media guys... he was gruff and short with them and didnt cater to them... at the start of 2004 there was a growing clamor to fire him among the press... tge narrative was that he had missed the playoffs in 4 of the past six years at that point

Bear in mind that he made the playoffs his first six years, and three of those were afc cg trips with one super bowl loss... and that the down years were not really as bad as the press made it out to be.

After a really good start in 98, the injuries caught up with them they went from 5-2 to 7-4, then lost their final five games for cowjers first losing season. Lack of depth killed them in 99 as well... losing 7 of tgeir final 8 games, but by 00, tge team was rebuilt. That team started 0-3 but went 9-4 from that point. You could clearly see the foundation of the super bowl team starting to show...

2001 was fantastic, and added another AFCCG, 2002 ended on a BS call... 2003 was just a fluky, injury prone season... so the reality was Cowher has a 24 game stretch over 3 years while he rebuilt the 90's blitzburgh group into the 00's soon to be championship squad.

So we have a ton of early success, a rebuild phase, and then more success with one isolated injury driven bad season
He turned the roster over he inherited in 1992 over fairly quickly too, of the starters from the Super Bowl vs Dallas, only 3 on O were hold overs from Noll, and only 2 on D were hold overs from Noll.

He turned the roster over he inherited in 1992 over fairly quickly too, of the starters from the Super Bowl vs Dallas, only 3 on O were hold overs from Noll, and only 2 on D were hold overs from Noll.

I hold Chuck Noll as the greatest STEELERS coach all time, Bill Cowher as the number 2 greatest STEELERS coach.

Tomlin takes a 3rd seat, but will get into HOF through his mediocracy.

Salute the nation

Tomlin is a press conference coach

At the beginning to mid his time here, his last 7-10 have been bottom feeder same **** old material.

His writers haven’t attached the moment, for a long time.!!!

Salute the nation

Last edited: