• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What Needs to Happen to avoid another winning, whining season in 24

'98-'00
7, 6 and 9 wins.
22-26 over that three season span (his worst span in his career) is only 2 wins off the immortal Mediocre Mike’s standard

He then follows it up with seven playoff wins over the next 5 seasons right? If memory serves a 3 season span is the longest he goes in career without a playoff victory (think he did that twice)

I guess he trained us that 3 years is the most we should have to wait for a touch of playoff success

22-26 over that three season span (his worst span in his career) is only 2 wins off the immortal Mediocre Mike’s standard

He then follows it up with seven playoff wins over the next 5 seasons right? If memory serves a 3 season span is the longest he goes in career without a playoff victory (think he did that twice)

I guess he trained us that 3 years is the most we should have to wait for a touch of playoff success
There is this really important thing called CONTEXT. So my coment was that under Cowher when they had **** teams they rebuilt quickly and effectively and they were contenders. DIC made it sound like they didn't have **** years. They did. But they did not get stuck in Ground Hog day for 6 or 7 years.

Also 6 AFCCG in 14 years (granted he lost 4) where Shades got to 3 in 14, the first two with the team and staff he inherited from Cowher.

Also 6 AFCCG in 14 years (granted he lost 4) where Shades got to 3 in 14, the first two with the team and staff he inherited from Cowher.
This is part I don't see how anyone including organization can support Tomlin on. He defines mediocrity is that the Standard?

This is part I don't see how anyone including organization can support Tomlin on. He defines mediocrity is that the Standard?
Deuce looks at every game is sold out and the team is in the playoff hunt almost every year and says business is great.
They might not win playoff games but they don’t have down years either.
We might not like it but that’s how Deuce sees it.

Last edited:
Deuce looks at every game is sold out and the team is in the playoff hunt almost every year and says business is great.
They might not win playoff games but they don’t have down years either.
We might not like it but that’s how Deuce sees it.
He’s making his $$$. The Steelers are an established franchise with a familiar iconic logo. They will make $$$ off name and merchandise alone.

@Ron Burgundy Do you ever find it funny since putting the Rams back in LA. The rams win their super bowl shortly after?

Then to cap it off to apologize to st. Louis and Missouri the chiefs become a dynasty?

Marketing?

@Ron Burgundy Do you ever find it funny since putting the Rams back in LA. The rams win their super bowl shortly after?
No, but I think it’s hilarious that the (old) Browns won the Super Bowl a year after leaving Cleveland.

There is this really important thing called CONTEXT. So my coment was that under Cowher when they had **** teams they rebuilt quickly and effectively and they were contenders. DIC made it sound like they didn't have **** years. They did. But they did not get stuck in Ground Hog day for 6 or 7 years.
Yeah totally get that

My point is that Cowher’s down years (the worst of his career) were very close to Shades standard every year

The main difference is under Cowher there was always a little thing called hope, and that after his few down years he always came back swinging

Sadly the apex of Shades success was with the Cowher squad and culture they already had…and even sadder once you’re stuck in groundhog’s day it goes well past the seven years we’ve already endured

Until they wake up from the Shades era it indeed will continue in Groundhog’s day

Yeah totally get that

My point is that Cowher’s down years (the worst of his career) were very close to Shades standard every year

The main difference is under Cowher there was always a little thing called hope, and that after his few down years he always came back swinging

Sadly the apex of Shades success was with the Cowher squad and culture they already had…and even sadder once you’re stuck in groundhog’s day it goes well past the seven years we’ve already endured

Until they wake up from the Shades era it indeed will continue in Groundhog’s day
People in positions of power often say one thing for public consumption and another thing behind closed doors. It’s up to us to read between the lines.
Shades will get his two year extension but after Deuce’s end of season presser I get the feeling this will be his last unless he makes a deep playoff run.
Which given the current state of the AFC, is unlikely.

Last edited:
People in positions of power often say one thing for public consumption and another thing behind closed doors. It’s up to us to read between the lines.
Shades will get his two year extension but after Deuce’s end of season presser I get the feeling this will be his last unless he makes a deep playoff run.
So he gets a two year extension. Which. Means three on the books. He has Kenny as the ready made excuse. But considering basically everyone is calling Kenny ****.....isn't Tomlin paid to be right. Like he should have been right about Fichtner or Canada or Bush. So assuming we are back here on the new Groundhog day. (Early January) as Steelers are out of playoffs or wildcard loser. When does he get held accountable for his almost double digit 7 figure salary. I get impression if Deuce gives him 3 more he is gonna get it.

Do you think after the three years or maybe after two self imposed hiatus like most of us hoped this year. Not wanting to go through embarrassing contract questions
Probably cut out a year early so he doesn’t have to answer questions and his assistants can look for jobs. Cowher did the same, if you think about it. If it’s known he’s a lame duck then his coaches and players will say **** it more than they already do.

Just checked Webster's, that's the definition of optimism.

Probably cut out a year early so he doesn’t have to answer questions and his assistants can look for jobs. Cowher did the same, if you think about it. If it’s known he’s a lame duck then his coaches and players will say **** it more than they already do.
Exactly. This was my hope this year. And I enjoyed the little run at the end. Hell I love this team. But it seems that you get the little faint hopes. Take an *** kicking in playoffs and Bill Murray wakes ⏰️ up again. Rinse repeat. But for God sake barring a miracle run most of us don't see coming this has to be last contract.

To the guy who said winning season and making the playoffs 90% etc

Hope the FO doesn't see it the way you do because the team needs major work roster, schemes, culture, special teams everywhere

'98-'00
7, 6 and 9 wins.
between an AFCCG in 1997 and 2001 with freaking Kordell Stewart at QB.
We've won 3 playoff games in 14 seasons now (0 in the last 7 seasons) I think, I can't keep track. Cowher won that many playoff games from 97-02 with Kordell and Maddox as starters at QB.

I hear ya ..
But all teams get breaks like that during the season..
You can only play whose next up ..
That's happened two seasons in a row, all that does is give everyone false hope that we're better than we really are.

I hate to tell you this. There is nothing that could be done. They will be relevant but not really contend. They are caught in the perpetual middle till someone in the organization says enough. And there may be some lean times but ladies and gentlemen of this great nation it is better than Groundhog Day.

That is exactly how I feel. They have, and will continue to blunder around with Pickett. AR2 is 100 percent in on Tomlin and all of the bullshit that comes from him. Watching the Steelers blows. My wife doesn't give a **** about football and even she said "why is every season the same these days. They really were looking better at the end of the year. Until they are blown out in the playoffs."
I was impressed. I thought that was a pretty damn good sumary of the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2024.

This team won't be relevant as long as they are thinking Kenny Pickett is their leader. At least I don't spend thousands of dollars on the team every year.

between an AFCCG in 1997 and 2001 with freaking Kordell Stewart at QB.
We've won 3 playoff games in 14 seasons now (0 in the last 7 seasons) I think, I can't keep track. Cowher won that many playoff games from 97-02 with Kordell and Maddox as starters at QB.
QBR.

DIC, MAY have not conveyed very well but what he was trying to tell yaz was that even in coach Cowher's down years, I felt like he would bring us out (had a chance to rise) and NOT be stuck in Groundhog Day of mediocracy as to how Tomlin has us now.

How many here ever felt doom with Cowher's teams as they do with Tomlin's teams, the last 10+ years.

Salute the nation