• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What to do at LB?

DeaconKnowledge

Reaction score
Foote's gone. Williams has been a 2 down linebacker and likely won't change. Spence is still an unknown commodity. Anyone we draft will probably sit their rookie year. What do you think the plan is?

To either draft Jordan Zumwalt, Greg Blair, Kevin Pierre-Louis, or Carl Bradford and in move one of them to Buck ILB.

Whomever starts next to Timmions is probably coming out in passing downs anyways. Vince will do fine holding that spot down while we figure it out.

harrison 1 year as well and draft Prince Shembo to add another rusher off the edge

Look, I know that some of you guys are PRO-young when it comes to the D BUT I think we could sign DEEBO for 2 years at 5 million (1 more than his last year deal in Cinn). We use him as a Back-up at OLB (although he is no doubt better than either starter) and use him as an ILB in Foote's role for 2 downs. No doubt in my mind he is still a 10 sack per year monster on the OS BUT he has one year as an ILB prospect with little responsibilities other than "inside cover" and run and he rated well at that. He IS unrelentless, unblockable and pissed off most of the time which makes him a PERFECT 2 down ILB prospect who can 'train' the next guy at either OLB or ILB. Joey played a game or 2's worth at ILB and looked like the same 'can't block this' ******* he was at OLB his whole career. I would have loved to see him stay there BUT we needed him OS. James would be a PERFECT inside 2-down "Enforcer" in the middle. He might only last a few games before his 'Suspension' before hitting too hard. I don't care. I want a BAD dude in the middle who will show these 'new age *******' what it's all about. If I cannot convince the "alleged cerebral" staff to go with 'strength and ignorance vs. best intentions', I will retire my pre-draft, post-pro-day, post spring-break, pre- mid-May prediction, assumption, calculation, prognostication, hopeful situation rectification program solutions!

I would love to bring Harrison back for one more year.....he's not even close to a 10 sack per year guy anymore however. He hasnt had 10 sacks since 2010 and that was 10 1/2. Defintely think he can bring an attitude and toughness back to this defense.

Look, I know that some of you guys are PRO-young when it comes to the D BUT I think we could sign DEEBO for 2 years at 5 million (1 more than his last year deal in Cinn). We use him as a Back-up at OLB (although he is no doubt better than either starter) and use him as an ILB in Foote's role for 2 downs. No doubt in my mind he is still a 10 sack per year monster on the OS BUT he has one year as an ILB prospect with little responsibilities other than "inside cover" and run and he rated well at that. He IS unrelentless, unblockable and pissed off most of the time which makes him a PERFECT 2 down ILB prospect who can 'train' the next guy at either OLB or ILB. Joey played a game or 2's worth at ILB and looked like the same 'can't block this' ******* he was at OLB his whole career. I would have loved to see him stay there BUT we needed him OS. James would be a PERFECT inside 2-down "Enforcer" in the middle. He might only last a few games before his 'Suspension' before hitting too hard. I don't care. I want a BAD dude in the middle who will show these 'new age *******' what it's all about. If I cannot convince the "alleged cerebral" staff to go with 'strength and ignorance vs. best intentions', I will retire my pre-draft, post-pro-day, post spring-break, pre- mid-May prediction, assumption, calculation, prognostication, hopeful situation rectification program solutions!

Who would have thought you could use all the vocabulary words in one sentence, way to go. By the way I like the idea of debo back in black and gold and he might just do fine in Larrys spot as a two down player. He would also likely be very effective on the cross fire blitz that would have James taking the short direct route to the quarter back. Might make for some very nervous qbs trying to figure out who is coming.

My issue is not when we face known passing downs. I can live with them pulling the 2nd ILB. I get that. The issue is, what happens when the Steelers face a team that plays with 1 RB and 3 WRs...or 2 TEs? Do you just sit that ILB all game? Is he no longer a part of your base defense and are you living in that package defense from that point forward?

It is why we need the upgrade at ILB, preferably a guy that can give you some help in coverage, so if you get caught in the base defense, he does not look like a monkey fing a football.

Do I spend the first round pick on that player? Nope, but I damn sure start getting interested in the 3rd if the right guy is there.

I think the wild card in this is....Spence. Will he come back and at what level? I'm not sure that even Spence can answer that question yet. As defenses evolve I really see the need for a safety/ILB hybrid.

Maybe spence or Garvin can play that Hybrid role

This defense is still predicated on winning 1st downs. And Lebeau, if he has the personnel, will always run 3 linemen and 4 linebackers. Even against spread formations.

We have legit needs at DE, NT and ILB to make up a front-7 that is really up to Lebeau's and the Steeler's standard. That's a lot of below average "holes" in our starting roster right now. And I'm as worried about run defense as I am about pass defense.

I don't really know what their plan is. You could draft Nix and sign Keisel. That's an option. You could get Hageman. You could draft an ILB pretty high (top 100 picks) and push him hard to be ready and leave the NT/DE situation alone with some more rotational guys/rookies. Hell, you could even bring back Foote at minimum (no one's signed him I think).

It's going to be hard to really improve all three of those spots between now and September.

To me, it's not just about ILB. It's really about the front-7 as a whole. There is work yet to be done. And the draft could help that but it's difficult to bank on any rookie (see the little impact Hood, Heyward and Jones provided) and every rookie has a chance to be a bust.

We will see.

If I cannot convince the "alleged cerebral" staff to go with 'strength and ignorance vs. best intentions', I will retire my pre-draft, post-pro-day, post spring-break, pre- mid-May prediction, assumption, calculation, prognostication, hopeful situation rectification program solutions!

How about garvin or Shazier there not as tough but faster. I do like the idea of Harrison in the middle having wrs crapping them selfs coming across the middle.

This defense is still predicated on winning 1st downs. And Lebeau, if he has the personnel, will always run 3 linemen and 4 linebackers. Even against spread formations.

We have legit needs at DE, NT and ILB to make up a front-7 that is really up to Lebeau's and the Steeler's standard. That's a lot of below average "holes" in our starting roster right now. And I'm as worried about run defense as I am about pass defense.

I don't really know what their plan is. You could draft Nix and sign Keisel. That's an option. You could get Hageman. You could draft an ILB pretty high (top 100 picks) and push him hard to be ready and leave the NT/DE situation alone with some more rotational guys/rookies. Hell, you could even bring back Foote at minimum (no one's signed him I think).

It's going to be hard to really improve all three of those spots between now and September.

To me, it's not just about ILB. It's really about the front-7 as a whole. There is work yet to be done. And the draft could help that but it's difficult to bank on any rookie (see the little impact Hood, Heyward and Jones provided) and every rookie has a chance to be a bust.

We will see.

Our run defense was far behind our passing defense in terms of ranks last year- but all I hear is that we need to draft 3 or 4 CB's this spring lol.

I agree with you- improving the front 7 is probably one of the more important things for the team going forward

I don't think they can rely on Sean Spence. This guy is lucky he can walk let alone play NFL football. Garvin and Williams and a potential pick in the draft; 3rd or 4th round.

For some reason, I think we may see Harrison back on the roster by training camp. Hopefully at a back role and a depth move

I read that Dave Te Thomas, who is a college talent evaluator for many of the pro teams, is really high on Avery Williamson from Kentucky. I don't remember seeing him. Does anyone have a take on him?

I am very curious how Carl Bardford would from Arizona State would look at Buck for us. He has lots of experience inside as well as outside. If he we to make it to our third pick... which I doubt... he make be an upgrade. He is aggressive but seems much more agile than Vince Williams.