• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Where DO we stand on the biggest factor on the team?

Just like who they draft, we have no control on how they handle the QB situation, or anything else for that matter.
If KP is QB1 this fall, for God's sake the coaching staff better help him develop to his and the teams strengths.

On second thought, God probably has more important things to do, so just don't let Mikey get in the way.
The head coach thought Matt Canada was the guy to usher in a new QB. When he was a failure, Tomlin double downed on Canada. Just absolutely insane management.

I don't think Kenny is the guy. I don't think Mason or Tanneyhill is the guy either. Having said that, i think there are 3 options.

1. Take advantage of having a rookie contract QB, spend the money elsewhere and try to win a Super Bowl with a top defense, top run game, and some explosive playmakers. Build up the OL, add another offense weapon and shore up the defense.

This is what the 49ers have been doing. Maybe you trade Najee, sign Saquon to a 1 year deal to add an explosive playmaker. Try to add a free agent WR. Draft a top CB to play with Porter. Then Center, then take advantage of the depth at OT in this draft to get a guy in rd 3. It's a short term plan, but who cares if you win the SB.

2. Go for a franchise QB. Decide which QBs your scouts have as a true franchise QB, then go up and get him and don't worry about the price. That price may set you back a year but it doesn't matter if you draft the right QB.

3. Hedge your bets. Go for a combo of 1 and 2. Stick with Kenny and Mason, and draft a later round QB to add to the mix. Stick with your current playmakers. Use draft to get the best CB, C and OT you can get in the first 3 rounds. I'm guessing this is the plan. It seems the safest but may actually be the most dangerous. It could lead to winning the division, maybe win a playoff game, then lie to yourself that Kenny or Mason is the answer and pay him big money.

I happen to agree with the team management not giving up on KP. After all he is only going into his 3rd year, and a huge investment was made. I fully expect that he gets the chance to show if he can get better with a real OC. If he shows any progress, I expect him to get his 4th year also. If at the end of 3, he still looks bad, then look for the search to start again. If he looks better, then after 4 is where you decide.

I do expect to see a vet, over the hill QB to be brought in as a b/u. They give you 1-2 years, just like KP’s timeframe.

I also expect them to take a flyer on a young QB, either late or udfa.

I do NOT agree with a one year reclamation project RENTAL in Fields. Now if for some reason they could get him in a trade AFTER he agreed to a 4 year 30M deal, then I might be interested. I would also include incentives to pay him more if he turns it around. Under no circumstances would I trade for him if it only meant a single year under contract. They already have a reclamation project on the roster, you don’t need two with only a year to decide.
just my a**hole opinion but, (RACIST COMMENT) Fields (my nickname for him) will NOT get you there... ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Kenny is the guy. I don't think Mason or Tanneyhill is the guy either. Having said that, i think there are 3 options.

1. Take advantage of having a rookie contract QB, spend the money elsewhere and try to win a Super Bowl with a top defense, top run game, and some explosive playmakers. Build up the OL, add another offense weapon and shore up the defense.

This is what the 49ers have been doing. Maybe you trade Najee, sign Saquon to a 1 year deal to add an explosive playmaker. Try to add a free agent WR. Draft a top CB to play with Porter. Then Center, then take advantage of the depth at OT in this draft to get a guy in rd 3. It's a short term plan, but who cares if you win the SB.

2. Go for a franchise QB. Decide which QBs your scouts have as a true franchise QB, then go up and get him and don't worry about the price. That price may set you back a year but it doesn't matter if you draft the right QB.

3. Hedge your bets. Go for a combo of 1 and 2. Stick with Kenny and Mason, and draft a later round QB to add to the mix. Stick with your current playmakers. Use draft to get the best CB, C and OT you can get in the first 3 rounds. I'm guessing this is the plan. It seems the safest but may actually be the most dangerous. It could lead to winning the division, maybe win a playoff game, then lie to yourself that Kenny or Mason is the answer and pay him big money.

Kenny is the guy.
never has someone led their team to so many comeback wins, get hurt and have this **** pulled on him by his own coaches and the hometown fanbase. Why hasn't this f*cker demanded a trade? idk and i wouldn't be surprised to see something like that on draft day.

The defense could be a level above and beyond the Ravens if they - for the f*cking love of GOD - went out and got a goddamn NOSE TACKLE. Otherwise get a couple of 3-techniques and play the f*ckin 4-3. JFC. i'm so sick of the sh*t - like Tomlin needs a HoF at SS, CB, DE and ILB and THE OTHER ILB?!! for f*cks sake!

The offense needs much more. 1. A head coach that can pull his head out of a** and stop meddling in the playcalls. 2. A coordinator & GM on the same page so that the strategy can marry the skills of the players THEY DO have. 3. One wide receiver worth a f*ckin damn. PS. Odunze solves this last problem.

Kenny is the guy.
never has someone led their team to so many comeback wins, get hurt and have this **** pulled on him by his own coaches and the hometown fanbase. Why hasn't this f*cker demanded a trade? idk and i wouldn't be surprised to see something like that on draft day.

The defense could be a level above and beyond the Ravens if they - for the f*cking love of GOD - went out and got a goddamn NOSE TACKLE. Otherwise get a couple of 3-techniques and play the f*ckin 4-3. JFC. i'm so sick of the sh*t - like Tomlin needs a HoF at SS, CB, DE and ILB and THE OTHER ILB?!! for f*cks sake!

The offense needs much more. 1. A head coach that can pull his head out of a** and stop meddling in the playcalls. 2. A coordinator & GM on the same page so that the strategy can marry the skills of the players THEY DO have. 3. One wide receiver worth a f*ckin damn. PS. Odunze solves this last problem.
PSS. i lied: i instantly recalled quarterback and part/full-time faith leader Tim Tebow. He had this **** happen to him.

With KP’s record starting, and the fact that this WILL BE just year 3, I would give him all year to show up, even if he gets pulled a time or two. I keep putting him back in next game,

Qb situation is a mess. Tomlin is the head chef. He would be banished from hells kitchen.

There is NOT going to be a legit QB competition, we KNOW this. Read the writing on the wall. Kenny would have to fail miserably with everything slanted in his direction to succeed. The table will be heavily tilted in his direction. The offense may even increase PPG from 17 to 19 or 20! And it will be hailed as a great success.
Not sold on midass Kenny one bit
BUT
Keeping Tomlin out of the offense is the number 1 thing to do to fix it
#2 being get a legitimate QB back there which I'm hoping Kenny can become, but that can ONLY happen if and only if Mediocre Mike keeps his hands outta the offense

If he lets Smith do his thing I'll go out on a ledge and say even midass Kenny can average 20 a game

Problem is I don't think meddling Mediocre Mike can help himself and his genius from using his Midas touch on everything on the team

If we build the trenches every one on both sides of the ball becomes better. Every QB / RB struggles without a solid oline. On the other side of the ball we need a solid NT or just switch to a 4-3 and just stop with the basic cover 2 zones.

Purdy is of far higher QB caliber than Kenny
The 49ers have had good x and o offensive schemes and play calling combined with very solid QB play from Purdy

The Steelers are nowhere near either of those two things

As much as I want a franchise QB in here there is no need for Mike to be the guy that gets to help bring him in
Let the next coach, hopefully next year, bring in his franchise QB (or at least take the swing/chance at getting him)
No need for Mediocre Mike to taint the talent

I would disagree that 2023 was a disastrous season for KP. Not great one by any mean not even good. but not disastrous
https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Sorry, I'm leaning towards disastrous: A 37 QBR and below QBs such as Ridder, O'Connell, Fields and Howell, and just above QBs like Mac Jones, Bryce Young and Zack Wilson. I mean, these guys are unwatchable, just terrible. Kenny Pickett has set a record for the lowest TD % of any QB who has played 500 attempts in the history of the league since the merger. The very worst ever.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/wh...-for-a-qb-in-nfl-history-minimum-500-attempts

Kenny has been God-awful. The only 2 people who don't agree are Tomlin and Rooney. Oh, and Bradshaw.

Sorry, I'm leaning towards disastrous: A 37 QBR and below QBs such as Ridder, O'Connell, Fields and Howell, and just above QBs like Mac Jones, Bryce Young and Zack Wilson. I mean, these guys are unwatchable, just terrible. Kenny Pickett has set a record for the lowest TD % of any QB who has played 500 attempts in the history of the league since the merger. The very worst ever.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/wh...-for-a-qb-in-nfl-history-minimum-500-attempts

Kenny has been God-awful. The only 2 people who don't agree are Tomlin and Rooney. Oh, and Bradshaw.
A good litmus test is if Pickett put up these numbers on another team, how would you view him? If he was the starter for any of the other AFCN teams, we would hope he'd be starting next season for any of those teams. I'm rooting for the guy to succeed, it was just a big step back in year two. As much as I've been on the CB in the first, I almost feel the Steelers need to attack the OL (RT or C) in FA and add a top WR and either RT or C in the first two rounds to continue to build around the QB to try to set him up for success. If it fails, you have a young core in position to move on in 2025.

I’m not saying MASON is the answer, and if he signs here he will NOT get a fair shake. Shades has his heart set on the little hand boy who was from PITT. Shades watched him all the while he was here, just kept his eyes closed the first 4 years.

Salute the nation
ADDECB96-38CF-498C-AEC5-7012A763A76A.jpeg

Not sold on midass Kenny one bit
BUT
Keeping Tomlin out of the offense is the number 1 thing to do to fix it
#2 being get a legitimate QB back there which I'm hoping Kenny can become, but that can ONLY happen if and only if Mediocre Mike keeps his hands outta the offense

If he lets Smith do his thing I'll go out on a ledge and say even midass Kenny can average 20 a game

Problem is I don't think meddling Mediocre Mike can help himself and his genius from using his Midas touch on everything on the team
So let me get this right. Kenny sucks and Canada sucked, but Tomlin has to stay out of the offense. Tomlin has been criticized for making the offense very risk adverse. Well, if Kenny sucks and Canada sucked, why the heck would you take risks? If the those statements are true, perhaps Tomlin did the right thing? Don't launch of into he hired Canada and drafted Pickett. That's true, but it is a separate issue.

And Bradshaw knows QB evaluations 😂
The man who declared Sam Darnold more talented than Cam Newton

I believe his quote was “Sam Darnold is the most talented QB in Panther history”

And you and I both know Tomlin and Rooney suck at evals, so yep you’re spot on

The three guys that think he’s decent-good ALL suck at evaluating QBs

Hell…
I’m still trying to figure out why our coaching staff thought trubisky was better than Rudolph?
Never a losing season. Greatest coach ever.

I’m withholding judgement until I see how KP does with a decent OC and a better QB coach.
Not saying he’s a bust, not saying he’ll be great, I’m saying we don’t know yet.
His first two seasons he played under a guy who was universally agreed to be the worst OC in the league.
In his first and only game without Duh calling the plays he put up 400 yards of offense, the first time that had been done in almost three seasons.

Clueless.jpg
The QB and overall offensive inefficiency rests right here. I don't think KP is as bad as some perceive him to be.
That said, we will never know for sure.