• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Where DO we stand on the biggest factor on the team?

I would disagree that 2023 was a disastrous season for KP. Not great one by any mean not even good. but not disastrous
Pickett regressed and we are moving into his third year with a huge question mark at QB. Maybe in terms of Ws and Ls it wasn't disastrous, but for his professional career as a starter in Pittsburgh it was darn close.

I don't get the reluctance of cutting bait with KP. we moved up from 20 to 10 to draft Bush and most of this board wanted him run out on a rail after year two. QB is the most important position on the field, a draft like this at that position comes along every 25 years or so. KP has not shown ANY signs of being a franchise QB hell he couldn't get his job back from Mason last year who BTW is another player that most of this board wanted gone.

KP is on a rookie deal his dead money is nothing, why hang onto him for one or two more years just because he was a first round pick and then have no shot of an elite talent because there will only be one or maybe two available in the drat for the next 15 years or so and we will never be close enough to draft one because a non losing season and drafting 20th is good enough.

I know this

If Kenny remains the only QB on the roster heading into the season then Kenny will win the QB competition

Now if ya add literally any NFL caliber QB, vet or rookie (and I predict we add one of each) then Kenny’s chances of winning a legitimate QB competition (which I predict does not happen) would go drastically down.

I know this

If Kenny remains the only QB on the roster heading into the season then Kenny will win the QB competition

Now if ya add literally any NFL caliber QB, vet or rookie (and I predict we add one of each) then Kenny’s chances of winning a legitimate QB competition (which I predict does not happen) would go drastically down.

I’m not saying MASON is the answer, and if he signs here he will NOT get a fair shake. Shades has his heart set on the little hand boy who was from PITT. Shades watched him all the while he was here, just kept his eyes closed the first 4 years.

Salute the nation

I’m not saying MASON is the answer, and if he signs here he will NOT get a fair shake. Shades has his heart set on the little hand boy who was from PITT. Shades watched him all the while he was here, just kept his eyes closed the first 4 years.

Salute the nation
Not sure on this. he did play Mason over a healthy KP last few games.

Someone said “maximize Kenny’s skill set”
And after a brief a chuckle I thought how could Smith do that

The only thing I could come up with was
Trade DJ for a RT (RT2)
Trade Muth cuz he can’t block well enough for new scheme
Draft Mims then Van Pran 1:2

The base Kenny offense: Jones/Seumalo/VP/Daniels/Mims/RT2
Put Washington to Jones left
Warren and Najee together in backfield
Pickens wide right

Plays to all Kenny’s strengths:
•run heavy with options for check downs
•TE is basically extra OL
•locks onto one receiver May as well be a guy that can catch the garbage he throws-obviously Pickens. This eliminates the options of him having to do big boy things like make reads or throw guys open
•extra blockers to right for the pressure he loves to run himself into-May prevent concussion #3

Ground and pound with a little Chuck and duck

Not sure on this. he did play Mason over a healthy KP last few games.

The first game Kenny wasn't fully healed, the rest was playing the “HOT” hand.

Salute the nation

Salute the nation
I'm not asking this facetiously or sarcastically, I'm really not: Do you think that possibly its Deuce who has been watching Kenny the previous last few years at PITT (2020-21) and Shades is just "going along with" what his boss wants? I mean, the Rooney family is STILL ashamed about not taking Marino in '83 from their own backyard. Deuce has actually stated it.

I'm not asking this facetiously or sarcastically, I'm really not: Do you think that possibly its Deuce who has been watching Kenny the previous last few years at PITT (2020-21) and Shades is just "going along with" what his boss wants? I mean, the Rooney family is STILL ashamed about not taking Marino in '83 from their own backyard. Deuce has actually stated it.

NO

Salute then nation

I would disagree that 2023 was a disastrous season for KP. Not great one by any mean not even good. but not disastrous

• 6TD's vs 4 INTs
  • #29th ranked passer in the league.
  • #28th Y/A per game
  • #29th Comp %

Those number look pretty disastrous to me.

I know this

There is NOT going to be a legit QB competition, we KNOW this. Read the writing on the wall. Kenny would have to fail miserably with everything slanted in his direction to succeed. The table will be heavily tilted in his direction. The offense may even increase PPG from 17 to 19 or 20! And it will be hailed as a great success.

Reactions: xjx
  • 6TD's vs 4 INTs
  • #29th ranked passer in the league.
  • #28th Y/A per game
  • #29th Comp %

Those number look pretty disastrous to me.
7-4 before he got hurt. Just to be fair.

Look I don't know what Kenny is going to be. None of us do. I just can't get beyond the fact that until relatively recently it took QBs a few years. Also, guys that start on fire sometimes just don't quite get back to where they started. We sometimes overlook that because we focus so much on how they start. Be careful on anointing Stroud, for example. Teams are pouring over tape probably as we speak. Will he be able to counter what they try to do to slow him down?

Again, I don't know if Pickett will be any good. Just not closing the book on him yet.

Pickett has not been terrible and has done some good things. He doesn't turn the ball over and had been clutch in the 4th. On the flip side he doesn't take shots, but i think alot of that was beaten into his head by Tomlin and Canada. He scrambles too much, but some of that was due to instant pressure especially early on. I think both he and Najee got shell shocked early on. I don't think Pickett will ever be great, but i think he can be good at least.

7-4 before he got hurt. Just to be fair.

Look I don't know what Kenny is going to be. None of us do. I just can't get beyond the fact that until relatively recently it took QBs a few years. Also, guys that start on fire sometimes just don't quite get back to where they started. We sometimes overlook that because we focus so much on how they start. Be careful on anointing Stroud, for example. Teams are pouring over tape probably as we speak. Will he be able to counter what they try to do to slow him down?

Again, I don't know if Pickett will be any good. Just not closing the book on him yet.

7-4 lol.

We were 7-4 in spite of him. Thats like Matt Canada telling his next employer that he had a winning record in the NFL.

• RE: Knowing:
    • Sure- we might not know with 100% certainty that KP is hot garbage, but you can say the same about Zach Wilson. Difference is KP is older, and has less tangible 'gifts' and less upside. Yet the Jets (and the NFL as a whole) saw that Zach Wilson was probably not the guy.
  • RE: Give QB's some time
    • If you are a highly-drafted, project QB (Josh Allen, Anthony Richardson), you will still get years to prove yourself. Only because their upside is worth the risk. KP isn't a project player. KP was never expected to have a huge upside. So why wait?

C'mon guys- the dude guy was benched for Mason Rudolph lol. The same Mason who is drawing very limited interest in the FA market.

Kenny Pickett is simply not the guy.

7-4 lol.

We were 7-4 in spite of him. Thats like Matt Canada telling his next employer that he had a winning record in the NFL.

• RE: Knowing:
    • Sure- we might not know with 100% certainty that KP is hot garbage, but you can say the same about Zach Wilson. Difference is KP is older, and has less tangible 'gifts' and less upside. Yet the Jets (and the NFL as a whole) saw that Zach Wilson was probably not the guy.
  • RE: Give QB's some time
    • If you are a highly-drafted, project QB (Josh Allen, Anthony Richardson), you will still get years to prove yourself. Only because their upside is worth the risk. KP isn't a project player. KP was never expected to have a huge upside. So why wait?

C'mon guys- the dude guy was benched for Mason Rudolph lol. The same Mason who is drawing very limited interest in the FA market.

Kenny Pickett is simply not the guy.
You should be running a team with all this knowledge

There is NOT going to be a legit QB competition, we KNOW this. Read the writing on the wall. Kenny would have to fail miserably with everything slanted in his direction to succeed. The table will be heavily tilted in his direction. The offense may even increase PPG from 17 to 19 or 20! And it will be hailed as a great success.
As it should be, considering the circumstances

Just like who they draft, we have no control on how they handle the QB situation, or anything else for that matter.
If KP is QB1 this fall, for God's sake the coaching staff better help him develop to his and the teams strengths.

On second thought, God probably has more important things to do, so just don't let Mikey get in the way.