• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why Men Get Paid More Than Women for World Cup

Should women be paid the same as men on the same World Cup level? That is the question. I'll challenge each one of you, fathers, with a daughter - how would you feel if your daughter came home and said that she had the same credentials as Lil Johnny but Lil Johnny was getting paid $40,000 more than she was annually? Fair or not fair? .

Father of two daughters here. I would explain to that it's fair because the organization that Lil Johnny works for is 82 times more successful than the one she works for.

My perspective...

I was privileged to live in two countries in my life and I've spent a significant amount of time in each one. Futbol is the most popular sport on the planet---it's played nearly on every continent (not the frozen ones) because it doesn't take $500 to play the game as a child. The game takes finesse and strategy. It is not as fast-paced as hockey, but the similarities are there.

American football is my favorite sport. Plain and simple no explanation needed. Both games have intricate requirements to be successful and while the game of football is still a North American sport - it is slowly becoming more popular across the global.

Should women be paid the same as men on the same World Cup level? That is the question. I'll challenge each one of you, fathers, with a daughter - how would you feel if your daughter came home and said that she had the same credentials as Lil Johnny but Lil Johnny was getting paid $40,000 more than she was annually? Fair or not fair? If an athlete makes it to that level of professionalism - there are no private futbol clubs involved - why can there not be a standard salary for futbol players???

I don't have a horse in the race, but there is some merit to the complaints from the ladies, IMO.

It's not about fair. It's what the market will bear. Sports is entertainment. You seriously think it isn't fair that a WNBA player doesn't make as much as an NBA player? You sort of tried to make it the same as two accountants doing the same thing in the same company.

Technically, women generally don't have the same credentials as men in sports - if credentials are things like speed and strength.

It's not about fair. It's what the market will bear. Sports is entertainment. You seriously think it isn't fair that a WNBA player doesn't make as much as an NBA player? You sort of tried to make it the same as two accountants doing the same thing in the same company.

Technically, women generally don't have the same credentials as men in sports - if credentials are things like speed and strength.

I'd like to know why there's a difference SPECIFICALLY on the non-professional levels of sports. Most players that play for WC are already pro's - but there is, obviously, a difference in their stipends when they're preparing and playing the tournament. A goal is a goal in futbol.

This is going to really open a can of worms if transgenders become an issue - how do you pay them??? Is a transitioned female stronger than a birth born female??? Is there an advantage???

Oh gosh, I gave myself a headache...

Not only that, but arenas are half empty for WNBA games. Not always but mostly. If you aren't generating the revenue to support seven and eight figure salaries, you aren't going to get paid that way. And it is hardly incumbent upon the NBA or NHL to prop up failing women's leagues. America just doesn't have a huge interest in women's sports. Hell, women rarely watch women's sports.

The USWNT has been more successful than the USMNT, by miles and miles. But they do not generate the same revenue. As ****** as the men's team is, they still bring in more money.

And I can agree to a degree about national teams. There shouldn't be a difference. Or not a great one, anyway.+

Last edited:
Should women be paid the same as men on the same World Cup level? That is the question. I'll challenge each one of you, fathers, with a daughter - how would you feel if your daughter came home and said that she had the same credentials as Lil Johnny but Lil Johnny was getting paid $40,000 more than she was annually? Fair or not fair? If an athlete makes it to that level of professionalism - there are no private futbol clubs involved - why can there not be a standard salary for futbol players???

They don't play the same quality of sport, Bermuda. If a woman soccer player was in fact as talented as a male, she would be playing in one of the Premiere leagues - England, Germany, Spain, etc. Women don't play in those leagues because they are not good enough - not even remotely good enough.

The "equal pay no matter the product" line of thinking makes no sense. A mediocre relief pitcher is good enough to play in the majors ... should he be paid like Mike Trout? If not, why not? If the talent difference between Mike Trout and a mediocre relief pitcher merits a pay difference of $30 million per year, then wouldn't the even GREATER talent difference between a female player and a male player merit a substantial salary difference?

I guess that's better than asking them to eat sea sperm...

Ha ha ha!

iu

iu

Not only that, but arenas are half empty for WNBA games. Not always but mostly. If you aren't generating the revenue to support seven and eight figure salaries, you aren't going to get paid that way. And it is hardly incumbent upon the NBA or NHL to prop up failing women's leagues. America just doesn't have a huge interest in women's sports. Hell, women rarely watch women's sports.

The USWNT has been more successful than the USMNT, by miles and miles. But they do not generate the same revenue. As ****** as the men's team is, they still bring in more money.

And I can agree to a degree about national teams. There shouldn't be a difference. Or not a great one, anyway.+

Agreed. I'm not evening trying to compare them at a professional level - just on a national level, where, I think, World Cup falls...

They don't play the same quality of sport, Bermuda. If a woman soccer player was in fact as talented as a male, she would be playing in one of the Premiere leagues - England, Germany, Spain, etc. Women don't play in those leagues because they are not good enough - not even remotely good enough.

The "equal pay no matter the product" line of thinking makes no sense. A mediocre relief pitcher is good enough to play in the majors ... should he be paid like Mike Trout? If not, why not? If the talent difference between Mike Trout and a mediocre relief pitcher merits a pay difference of $30 million per year, then wouldn't the even GREATER talent difference between a female player and a male player merit a substantial salary difference?

I think I wasn't clear - I was making an argument for players on the National level. You'll get no rebuttal, from me, on the professional levels...

I have little time for a sport where people fake injuries to get a call and quickly get up when no foul is called.

The game should liberalize off sides.

Also what type of sport has people covering their crotches on free kicks?

The game is boring. I say put two rodeo bulls on the field and Penalize Ike players like hockey by taking a person off the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

My perspective...

I was privileged to live in two countries in my life and I've spent a significant amount of time in each one. Futbol is the most popular sport on the planet---it's played nearly on every continent (not the frozen ones) because it doesn't take $500 to play the game as a child. The game takes finesse and strategy. It is not as fast-paced as hockey, but the similarities are there.

American football is my favorite sport. Plain and simple no explanation needed. Both games have intricate requirements to be successful and while the game of football is still a North American sport - it is slowly becoming more popular across the global.

I don't have a horse in the race, but there is some merit to the complaints from the ladies, IMO.

Why should any entertainer or athlete be paid more unless they bring in a commensurate amount of revenue. If women's soccer is not making as much as men's they can't pay as much as men's. Same with Entertainers of any stripe you get paid commensurate to the amount you generate.

I have little time for a sport where people fake injuries to get a call and quickly get up when no foul is called.

The game should liberalize off sides.

Also what type of sport has people covering their crotches on free kicks?

The game is boring. I say put two rodeo bulls on the field and Penalize Ike players like hockey by taking a person off the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Welcome back, Cooch.

Learn to be civilized during this stint, m'kay???

Why should any entertainer or athlete be paid more unless they bring in a commensurate amount of revenue. If women's soccer is not making as much as men's they can't pay as much as men's. Same with Entertainers of any stripe you get paid commensurate to the amount you generate.

Keep reading - I clarify my OP later in the thread...

I think I wasn't clear - I was making an argument for players on the National level. You'll get no rebuttal, from me, on the professional levels...

Same analysis is true for players on the national level, though. The difference in skill level is so acute that equal pay would be bizarre.

The "not equal pay" riff is a lie. Women who have similar careers where gender simply does not matter - medicine, law, academics, journalism, etc. - earn as much as their male counterparts, considering length of employment, time off for child care, etc.

Single women without children earn more in their 20's than do males, because women are now much more likely to earn a college degree because of ... sexism or something. Men out-earn women, by a fairly small amount generally around 1% to 5%, in their 30's and 40's because professional women have children at that age, spend less time at work.

I'd like to know why there's a difference SPECIFICALLY on the non-professional levels of sports. Most players that play for WC are already pro's - but there is, obviously, a difference in their stipends when they're preparing and playing the tournament. A goal is a goal in futbol.

This is going to really open a can of worms if transgenders become an issue - how do you pay them??? Is a transitioned female stronger than a birth born female??? Is there an advantage???

Oh gosh, I gave myself a headache...

My son is a good athlete but not good enough that he’ll get an athletic scholarship, at least I don’t think he will. Now if he played on the girl’s team... college ain’t cheap, ya know?

Same analysis is true for players on the national level, though. The difference in skill level is so acute that equal pay would be bizarre.

The "not equal pay" riff is a lie. Women who have similar careers where gender simply does not matter - medicine, law, academics, journalism, etc. - earn as much as their male counterparts, considering length of employment, time off for child care, etc.

Single women without children earn more in their 20's than do males, because women are now much more likely to earn a college degree because of ... sexism or something. Men out-earn women, by a fairly small amount generally around 1% to 5%, in their 30's and 40's because professional women have children at that age, spend less time at work.

I'm learning a lot today. Thanks, bro!

*****Language alert********

My daughter plays and is following the tournament but I cannot like this team and I’m totally indifferent if they win. The fact that the US Soccer Federation had to make a rule this year specifically to make them stand for the National Anthem really put me off. You had a 94 year old WW2 vet play the anthem on his harmonica and you had some sour US faces when he played was just too much. I’m cool if they lose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My daughter plays and is following the tournament but I cannot like this team and I’m totally indifferent if they win. The fact that the US Soccer Federation had to make a rule this year specifically to make them stand for the National Anthem really put me off. You had a 94 year old WW2 vet play the anthem on his harmonica and you had some sour US faces when he played was just too much. I’m cool if they lose.

If you are trying to grow viewership for your sport, ******** on the National Anthem is not a good strategy.

I have a daughter and would have no problem if she made less than men in sports. You cant pay outrageous salaries to women if they are not generating the revenue. I believe the NBA is dumping money into the WNBA keeping them afloat. I dont know what the solution is, but I highly doubt leagues / players would go for a 50/50 split between men and women. Maybe someone will try to get them reparations.

My daughter plays and is following the tournament but I cannot like this team and I’m totally indifferent if they win. The fact that the US Soccer Federation had to make a rule this year specifically to make them stand for the National Anthem really put me off. You had a 94 year old WW2 vet play the anthem on his harmonica and you had some sour US faces when he played was just too much.

Amazing to me that sports figures and actors have not figured this out. Their "wokeness" means as much to me as a flea's fart. I watch for entertainment. I am 58 years old, married 33 years, two grown children, both college-educated and successful.

And they think I need their advice on life and politics? Maybe they should pay more attention to their own baby-mamas, failing marriages and unsuccessful children.

And good perspective you have IMO. I've never lived in another country, but I loved soccer from age 6 until varsity soccer in high school. There was no going any further with it. But I loved every minute of it. My high school was a mish mash of whites, hispanics and blacks and the hispanics loved it as well (obviously) and taught me a couple things when I already thought I had all the answers. It's definitely a tough sport, and can be physically and mentally taxing on a person, and I'll agree with others here that it is hard to watch on T.V. But it's still a great game and that's why it's beloved by most of the world. When I went a couple times to Jamaica, they were always playing soccer and I loved how Bob Marley talked about incorporating soccer into enjoying life in a poor country while growing up.

Pelé was/is perhaps one of the greatest athletes of our time.

Then David Beckham brought it back into some popularity again. Anyways, tons of examples of people & countries and their stories of soccer (futbol), but will spare more details.