• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why Men Get Paid More Than Women for World Cup

But it's still a great game and that's why it's beloved by most of the world.

The reason why soccer is the most popular sport in the world has a lot to do with the fact that soccer requires one ball for kids to play. One ball. No net is even necessary.

The reason why soccer is the most popular sport in the world has a lot to do with the fact that soccer requires one ball for kids to play. One ball. No net is even necessary.

The same goes for an American football.

Mmmm....not quite. While I see where you are going, it's not the same.

A bunch of amateurs with a US football throwing it around, playing 2 hand touch, etc is a far cry from football played with helmets and pads and full high speed contact. Even forgetting the goal posts.

A bunch of amateurs with just a soccer ball is far far closer to the real game of professional soccer. you're just missing a net. Otherwise the game is the same.

Kind of true (see Tim's post above), but hard to play football by yourself. You can dribble the soccer ball, kick it off a wall, work at skills even by yourself.

Two people? You can literally play a soccer game, 1-on-1. Two people in football? Toss the ball around. Punt. That's about it.

Soccer is perfect for playing by yourself or with 1 other person. Basketball too, which is why basketball is now so popular world-wide.

You guys make good points.

Mmmm....not quite. While I see where you are going, it's not the same.

A bunch of amateurs with a US football throwing it around, playing 2 hand touch, etc is a far cry from football played with helmets and pads and full high speed contact. Even forgetting the goal posts.

A bunch of amateurs with just a soccer ball is far far closer to the real game of professional soccer. you're just missing a net. Otherwise the game is the same.

Nah we played full on tackle and it was exactly like the real game. Didn't even require an end zone or yard lines. "You see those two trees over there? Past those trees is your end zone. No supplies needed. And we certainly did not play 2 hand touch...unless we were on pavement. Even then, sometimes if we had a couple inches of snow the pavement for a little cushion and it was on!

Nah we played full on tackle and it was exactly like the real game. Didn't even require an end zone or yard lines. "You see those two trees over there? Past those trees is your end zone. No supplies needed. And we certainly did not play 2 hand touch...unless we were on pavement. Even then, sometimes if we had a couple inches of snow the pavement for a little cushion and it was on!

You play tackle football without pads a lot differently than with pads. There’s good reason why some people are advocates of getting rid of the face mask to make football safer.

We used to play smear the queer in grade school at recess on concrete. The old man used to kick the snot out of me when I' d come home with holes in my corduroys.

Sent from my VS988 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Yeah that was great! So was Red Rover, where we would sprint all kamikazi-like and either break through or get clotheslined.

You play tackle football without pads a lot differently than with pads. There’s good reason why some people are advocates of getting rid of the face mask to make football safer.

I hit people as hard as I possibly could without pads using my shoulders and they did the same to me. If you are talking about launching yourself headfirst like an idiotic torpedo, we never did that with or without pads, so it actually didn't change anything with how we hit each other. .But if you could knock a guy 15 feet through the air with a shot, you went for it.

If you are trying to grow viewership for your sport, ******** on the National Anthem is not a good strategy.

Especially, if you are supposed to be the "national" team.

My perspective...

I was privileged to live in two countries in my life and I've spent a significant amount of time in each one. Futbol is the most popular sport on the planet---it's played nearly on every continent (not the frozen ones) because it doesn't take $500 to play the game as a child. The game takes finesse and strategy. It is not as fast-paced as hockey, but the similarities are there.

American football is my favorite sport. Plain and simple no explanation needed. Both games have intricate requirements to be successful and while the game of football is still a North American sport - it is slowly becoming more popular across the global.

Should women be paid the same as men on the same World Cup level? That is the question. I'll challenge each one of you, fathers, with a daughter - how would you feel if your daughter came home and said that she had the same credentials as Lil Johnny but Lil Johnny was getting paid $40,000 more than she was annually? Fair or not fair? If an athlete makes it to that level of professionalism - there are no private futbol clubs involved - why can there not be a standard salary for futbol players???

I don't have a horse in the race, but there is some merit to the complaints from the ladies, IMO.

look at it the same as you would the NBA and WNBA. Players in both leagues practice a lot. They even have diet restrictions and work on their game year-round. There's some dedication there. Unlike the women's soccer team, a WNBA team would beat a team of 15-year old boys in a game.

NBA as a whole is worth $57 Billion. 30 teams. Each team is worth an average of $1.9 Billion.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtba...2019-knicks-on-top-at-4-billion/#7262096ee667

Though WNBA players are making less, they're also being paid less than the men...percentage-wise per revenue.
https://www.blackenterprise.com/top-wnba-nba-salaries-2019/

Even though WNBA players will enjoy a modest salary increase in the upcoming 2019-20 season, they will still earn about 20% of the minimum salary of an NBA player even though they’re essentially doing the same job, according to CNBC. Young, for example, will gross a mere $53,537 despite being the No. 1 draft pick and a standout player during her collegiate career at Notre Dame. Meanwhile, most of the other rookies will earn even less with a starting salary of $41,965. That’s nearly $20,000 less than the median U.S. household income. In comparison, the starting salary for the NBA for the 2018–19 season was $582,180. Overall, the average WNBA players make around $79,000 while the maximum salary caps at $117,500. The minimum player salary for players with three or more years of service is $56,375.

The most important aspect...

Critics, however, argue that WNBA players earn less because the league only generates $25 million in annual revenue while the NBA rakes in a whopping $7.4 billion. The WNBA also receives less money in broadcast rights than the NBA. WNBA teams also play 34 games in a season for about four and a half months if they don’t make the playoffs. By comparison, NBA teams play 82 games in the regular season for six months while the finals can stretch the season another two months.

So they play less games and bring in less revenue. While they're also being paid less percentage-wise, the WNBA is nowhere near as successful as the NBA. I don't believe you'll see many men running around in a woman's soccer jersey. Or any women's sport. Meanwhile you see women wearing men's jerseys...of all sports.

Caveat - I have no idea the names of any of these women playing in the WNBA or World Cup, so if I saw some soccer playing fairy like Kruyea in a WNBA or Women's World Cup soccer jersey, I'd have no idea that he's sporting a woman's jersey.

Even though WNBA players will enjoy a modest salary increase in the upcoming 2019-20 season, they will still earn about 20% of the minimum salary of an NBA player even though they’re essentially doing the same job, according to CNBC. Young, for example, will gross a mere $53,537 despite being the No. 1 draft pick and a standout player during her collegiate career at Notre Dame. Meanwhile, most of the other rookies will earn even less with a starting salary of $41,965. That’s nearly $20,000 less than the median U.S. household income. In comparison, the starting salary for the NBA for the 2018–19 season was $582,180. Overall, the average WNBA players make around $79,000 while the maximum salary caps at $117,500. The minimum player salary for players with three or more years of service is $56,375.

Assuming all of that is true, perhaps some of these women should pursue a different career. Seems being a professional women's basketball player isn't real lucrative. I can understand wanting to play professional basketball and make millions doing it. How could you find a better career, playing a game for millions? The market just won't bear it. But the mentality that person b "deserves" what person a has won't allow people see the reality of the situation. If people actually came to the games, they would get paid more.

Even though WNBA players will enjoy a modest salary increase in the upcoming 2019-20 season, they will still earn about 20% of the minimum salary of an NBA player even though they’re essentially doing the same job, according to CNBC.

Sooooo ... I go out to my yard and bounce a ball and shoot a few hoops, I guess I am doing "essentially the same job" as the WNBA players?!?

And if in fact they are doing "essentially the same job" as NBA players, and whine about what NBA players are getting, why don't they play in the ******* NBA??

The “job” the NBA players are doing is getting corporations to buy advertising and people to buy tickets, not necessarily playing basketball.

A lot of recent college grads would be happy landing a job that pays them 40K. Note how that article mislead by comparing it to household median. Household meaning the combined income of 2 people. From their numbers, median household must be about 60K. Divide by 2 and that's 30K per person, so the starting WNBA salary is actually pretty respectable

What's the median salary of 25 year olds? I'd bet it's far under 40K

The WNBA season is short that they can have other careers just like football referees.

The “job” the NBA players are doing is getting corporations to buy advertising and people to buy tickets, not necessarily playing basketball.

Oh, raising revenue is definitely the endgame, Trog, but the quality of the product plays a yuuuuuge role in that - as is true will ALL entertainment.

Sports team sucks? Bad ticket sales, lower TV revenues (baseball). TV show sucks? Lower ad revenues, get cancelled. Movie sucks? Wait for the academy nominations for being "woke."

Same analysis is true for players on the national level, though. The difference in skill level is so acute that equal pay would be bizarre.

The "not equal pay" riff is a lie. Women who have similar careers where gender simply does not matter - medicine, law, academics, journalism, etc. - earn as much as their male counterparts, considering length of employment, time off for child care, etc.

Single women without children earn more in their 20's than do males, because women are now much more likely to earn a college degree because of ... sexism or something. Men out-earn women, by a fairly small amount generally around 1% to 5%, in their 30's and 40's because professional women have children at that age, spend less time at work.

I think I wasn't clear - I was making an argument for players on the National level. You'll get no rebuttal, from me, on the professional levels...

I'm just guessing, because i don't watch that ****, but i'd bet the quality of play between the men and women at the national level is also significant. Of so, paying them the same is stupid.

I'm just guessing, because i don't watch that ****, but i'd bet the quality of play between the men and women at the national level is also significant. Of so, paying them the same is stupid.

Do women gymnasts and beach volleyball players get paid more than men? Asking for a friend.

We used to play smear the queer in grade school at recess on concrete. The old man used to kick the snot out of me when I' d come home with holes in my corduroys.

Yep. We called it kill the man (with the ball). Tried to get the into the building with the ball at the end of recess. Recess was in the parking lot..

The women actually play a pretty damn good game. I watch quite a bit of soccer. The speed of the game isn't there, but the quality is. Especially when you compare the US Men's and Women's national programs. The US has been dominant because other nations didn't put a lot of time or money into their women's programs, and the US has a nearly endless pipeline of high quality college athletes. Now that other nations are spending time and money on their women's teams, other nations are catching up and the disparity isn't nearly as wide. Japan, Sweden and several European teams are right there. It has improved the quality of the women's game a lot.

Yep. We called it kill the man (with the ball). Tried to get the into the building with the ball at the end of recess. Recess was in the parking lot..
Yep. Good times. If you tried that today you probably be barred from school for toxic masculinity.