• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why Mike Tomlin is a Hall of Fame Coach

Roethlisberger faceplanting into a windshield of a car and having his appendix removed less than a week before the season started had a lot to do with it.
Then why did he start 15 games? If he wasn’t the player he was the previous year, why didn’t Cowher sit him until he was physically/mentally 100%? Or sit him after throwing 5 picks in the 3rd game against CIN? They had another starting QB, Batch, on the roster.

Then why did he start 15 games? If he wasn’t the player he was the previous year, why didn’t Cowher sit him until he was physically/mentally 100%? Or sit him after throwing 5 picks in the 3rd game against CIN? They had another starting QB, Batch, on the roster.
Because you don't sit your Super Bowl winning franchise QB. Cowher didn't do it in 2006 just like Tomlin didn't do it last season when Roethlisberger wouldn't throw the ball more than 10 yards late in the season.

You should know you are in the club too. It is called Steelernation.😁👍

RIGHT on Brother, this is the best website in the whole world STEELERNATION.COM.

I continously thank those invovleved in keeping this sight operating superbly. I thank all the poster(s) who post good / bad / ugly / and all the inbetween.

THANK YOU

Salute the nation

This is the thing, the narrative “inherited” players we’re the reason for success. That is such a subjective conclusion. If Tomlin inherited such awesome players that he didn’t have to coach to win, why did those same players end with a .500 record the year before? Coaches coach, players play. On the field, players decide outcome by execution. Off the field it’s the coaches job to provide a game plan and prepare players to be in the best position to execute the game plan. In game adjustments also are preeminently a factor, by both players and coaches. There is some merit to Tomlin staff’s deficiency with in game adjustments. No disagreement there. However, all coaches have their hills and valleys when it comes to adjustments. Typically though it’s the players who decide the outcome regardless.

Payton is comparable to some extent, W/L in both season and playoffs. Brees was gifted to him by Spanos and AJ Smith’s Idiocy. However, Payton will have to wait a lot longer for any HOF consideration after being suspended for a year due to Bounty Gate. Which in itself, is another joke at Goodell’s track record of disciplinary incompetence. Belichick himself should have been suspended at least twice, yet he’s a first ballot.

YET, the cheating ****** in MASShole land will just walk in like nothing ever happened. Remeber Payton was suspended because "All Head Coaches should know what their players are doing and be responsible for them" . A

A-N-D

The cheating on wife homewrecker and cheating NFL coach (one in the same) wasn't held to any degree of accountability on several diffeferent occasions.

Thanks for letting get that "rant" out, I'll take two Klondike bars and check back in the morning !

Salute the nation

His team folded last year, There the first game we are losing and someone makes a play and lets run to the end zone to celebrate. Mr discipline . He has proven over and over when all is well he is all smiles when not oh my he is lost on the sidelines.

I am in agreement with them the majority of your post. However, definitely disagree with the Tebow game. Tebow’s pass to win was the on the first play of OT. Too much respect for LeBeau? The game never should have made it OT. Ben was getting killed by BA’s play calling. I think he was sacked at least 4-5 times. It killed at least two scoring drives. The defense was doing their job keeping the game close. The offense didn’t do their part. Ben was planted so much under BA’s spread scheme, that’s why the emphasis was changed to protect Ben, and bringing in Haley.
My too much respect for LeBeau comment,was simply meant to say maybe Mike wouldn’t change Dick’s game plan due to his respect for him. Ike,maybe I have to go back and rewatch that game. Something I thought I would never do.

If my memory serves me correctly didn’t the D basically show no respect whatsoever of Tebow’s arm? Didn’t he burn them repeatedly? Weren’t most Steelers fans screaming for some defensive adjustments? I know the offense laid an egg too. Was that not due to **** coaching as well? “BA’s spread scheme “. As HC did Tomlin not sign off on this?

Maybe on a cold wet winter day in a couple months I will rewatch this game. Until then I firmly believe **** coaching had a lot to do with this loss.

As I'm sure you can tell I'm not a big Coach Tomlin fan. But he is going to the Hall of Fame and is a lead pipe lock. And that is a great thing. His numbers are very close to Cowher who is in. He was youngest coach to win SB and is one of only a couple African American coaches to win a SB. It's deserved. But Noll had his shelf life. Cowher had his. Tomlin will not win another SB in Pitt at least. No way he should have been extended.

This is the thing, the narrative “inherited” players we’re the reason for success. That is such a subjective conclusion. If Tomlin inherited such awesome players that he didn’t have to coach to win, why did those same players end with a .500 record the year before? Coaches coach, players play. On the field, players decide outcome by execution. Off the field it’s the coaches job to provide a game plan and prepare players to be in the best position to execute the game plan. In game adjustments also are preeminently a factor, by both players and coaches. There is some merit to Tomlin staff’s deficiency with in game adjustments. No disagreement there. However, all coaches have their hills and valleys when it comes to adjustments. Typically though it’s the players who decide the outcome regardless.

Payton is comparable to some extent, W/L in both season and playoffs. Brees was gifted to him by Spanos and AJ Smith’s Idiocy. However, Payton will have to wait a lot longer for any HOF consideration after being suspended for a year due to Bounty Gate. Which in itself, is another joke at Goodell’s track record of disciplinary incompetence. Belichick himself should have been suspended at least twice, yet he’s a first ballot.
Coming off of his motorcycle accident, Ben was not the same player he was prior to that. In fact, he had by far his worst season statistically, with only 18 touchdowns and a whopping 23 INTs. His QB rating dropped from the high 90s his first 2 seasons to the mid 70s in 2006. Poor season-long play at the quarterback position can make a very good team look average. But as we all know, that season was an anomaly in Ben's career.

Even with only one Super Bowl win each, I think Payton and Tomlin will both get in the HOF based on their strong regular season success. As others have said, it's hard to win it all, and both of these guys are well-respected by their peers and the media.

Chill, dude.
Maybe it's OK to have a little fun with yourself.

Who wouldn't use their own work on any relevant topic, especially when he has directly commented previously? I mean, he thought about this years ago, wrote about it months ago and you are a bit sore in the tushy because the thoughts and ideas are new to you?

Wewax, Wodewick.
Sure. I get it. I didn't know that FSF is Bill Washinski. The one and the same. And there I was, accusing him of plagiarism. Hilarious!

It's not that he used his own work, my issue was (and still is, no matter who wrote it) that he purposely failed to mention other relevant points in the same article which contradicted his argument in this thread. Has nothing to do with any groundbreaking new thoughts or ideas.

Of course Noll believed he was passing on a great team. Of course Cowher thought he was inheriting a great team. But guess what? It wasn't that great of a team at the end of the season, as it turned out.

My too much respect for LeBeau comment,was simply meant to say maybe Mike wouldn’t change Dick’s game plan due to his respect for him. Ike,maybe I have to go back and rewatch that game. Something I thought I would never do.

If my memory serves me correctly didn’t the D basically show no respect whatsoever of Tebow’s arm? Didn’t he burn them repeatedly? Weren’t most Steelers fans screaming for some defensive adjustments? I know the offense laid an egg too. Was that not due to **** coaching as well? “BA’s spread scheme “. As HC did Tomlin not sign off on this?

Maybe on a cold wet winter day in a couple months I will rewatch this game. Until then I firmly believe **** coaching had a lot to do with this loss.

Meh, the game was almost a decade ago. It serves no purpose. If you want to feel worse re-watch the 1994 AFC Championship game. Except for 3 long pass plays, they did keep Tim in check passing wise, it was his running ability they were making sure they didn’t get beat by. Those 3 passes accounted for 160+ of 300+ yards passing that game. It didn’t help that Ron Winters crew officiated the game with BS PI’s and RTP penalties called.

The offense was stymied because Mendenhall didn't play (hurt the previous game), so pass first playbook was used. IIRC Ben had a bad game the prior week too. Ben was killed that season with 40 sacks. BA’s play calling don’t care about QBs. Maybe it catches up with Marsha this year.

Meh, the game was almost a decade ago. It serves no purpose. If you want to feel worse re-watch the 1994 AFC Championship game. Except for 3 long pass plays, they did keep Tim in check passing wise, it was his running ability they were making sure they didn’t get beat by. Those 3 passes accounted for 160+ of 300+ yards passing that game. It didn’t help that Ron Winters crew officiated the game with BS PI’s and RTP penalties called.

The offense was stymied because Mendenhall didn't play (hurt the previous game), so pass first playbook was used. IIRC Ben had a bad game the prior week too. Ben was killed that season with 40 sacks. BA’s play calling don’t care about QBs. Maybe it catches up with Marsha this year.

Ike, you may well know by now that I would really like to see "the bruce's" play calling atch up to the cheating QB. Mind you I am not hoping for injury or career path malfunction but I would like to see t*mmyb*y get the crap beat out of him continously.

Salute the nation

The art of the Paradox…

Durring Copes swim across the Suez Canell he took a moment to relay a spirit world moment........

He said to me "see what you beleive, not beleive what you see"

I took that as great inspiration for future cosmic encounters.

Salute the nation

Exactly. Cowher got in with his record so HCMCS will get in with a very similar record if he retires soon. That said, I think Cowher was marginal to get into the HOF but he's had the advantage of being on TV every Sunday for 15 years. IMO Cowher was a very good coach but not a great coach.
I’ve been working on article about future Steelers Hall of Famers. It’s actually written but really needs editing.

A point trying to work in, but it’s on cutting block: Cowher and Dungy both are in Hall despite many other coaches with similar or even more success. Tomlin’s overall record on paper looks extremely similar.

A Major difference is perception. Cowher/Dungy left on top after years of coming up short with championship level teams. Cowher’s teams melted down every time and Tampa won right after replacing Dungy. But in finally getting that elusive Super Bowl in 05/06 respectively they Leon top — and their teams went on to reach the Super Bowl again 3 years later. It’s not hard to imagine both would have added to their respective resumes if they stayed.

Even I believe it fully - with both. There’s no question in my mind that Cowher would have 3 Super Bowls and Dungy would have 2 (and a 16-0 season to his credit).

I say it knowing full well there is no way to know. But the perception is reality.

Fact is—no one is pushing for Mike Shanahan or Mike Holmgren right now, and they both have arguably better cases.

It’s a tricky thing, but there really aren’t as many modern day coaches in HoF as you’d probably think

Sure. I get it. I didn't know that FSF is Bill Washinski. The one and the same. And there I was, accusing him of plagiarism. Hilarious!

It's not that he used his own work, my issue was (and still is, no matter who wrote it) that he purposely failed to mention other relevant points in the same article which contradicted his argument in this thread. Has nothing to do with any groundbreaking new thoughts or ideas.

Of course Noll believed he was passing on a great team. Of course Cowher thought he was inheriting a great team. But guess what? It wasn't that great of a team at the end of the season, as it turned out.
Not that I would have given a **** what you thought about “plagerism” — I was posting & contributing to this site long before most (going back to when it was becoming a “kinder, gentler” site) & earned the respect I’m due. Even if I spent a great deal of time away, I was personally asked to help contribute to building it back up. You can be sure that everything I put into articles are strongly researched and cited for authenticity.

I still have no clue what point you’re trying to make. where I’m contradicting my argument, or it makes the quotes from Noll & Cowher any less credible because they lost a single playoff game.

It’s just a fact in football - paralleled in life - that simply because a team didn’t win the Super Bowl doesn’t mean they weren’t a great team. You can do everything right and still lose no matter what endeavor it is.

A Major difference is perception. Cowher/Dungy left on top after years of coming up short with championship level teams. Cowher’s teams melted down every time and Tampa won right after replacing Dungy. But in finally getting that elusive Super Bowl in 05/06 respectively they left on top — and their teams went on to reach the Super Bowl again 3 years later. It’s not hard to imagine both would have added to their respective resumes if they stayed.

Fact is—no one is pushing for Mike Shanahan or Mike Holmgren right now, and they both have arguably better cases.

It’s a tricky thing, but there really aren’t as many modern day coaches in HoF as you’d probably think
I think Cowher quietly got some support and votes because we found out later the Pats****** were cheating to win those two AFCCG's. Grading on a curve if you will.

Good point about Shanahan and Holmgren.

As I've said before when giving Shades a backhanded compliment calling him a top five head coach, there's a lot of bad head coaches right now and this isn't the 70's when there were 7 or 8 future HOF coaches on the sidelines every week. Chuck Noll, Tom Landry, Don Shula, Weeb Ewbank, George Allen, John Madden, Bill Walsh, Sid Gillman, Hank Stram, you could have been going up against any of those guys on a given week between 1970 and 1979.

I think Cowher quietly got some support and votes because we found out later the Pats****** were cheating to win those two AFCCG's. Grading on a curve if you will.

As I've said before when giving Shades a backhanded compliment calling him a top five head coach, there's a lot of bad head coaches right now and this isn't the 70's when there were 7 or 8 future HOF coaches on the sidelines every week. Chuck Noll, Tom Landry, Don Shula, Weeb Ewbank, George Allen, John Madden, Bill Walsh, Sid Gillman, Hank Stram, you could have been going up against any of those guys on a given week between 1970 and 1979.

NOT just the 70's hall of fame coaches but even that era of second teir coaches were way better than most coaches of today.

Salute the nation

NOT just the 70's hall of fame coaches but even that era of second teir coaches were way better than most coaches of today.

I mean, who's coaching today who will likely get in?
Bill Belicheat, and speaking of his cheating will be verboten, just like it is already. Remember Don Shula called him "Belicheat" on a broadcast once and not long afterward Don wasn't on TV anymore. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get in on the first ballot if the voters want to send a message.
Shades.
Mike Holmgren.
Sean Peyton maybe, he will be hurt by Bountygate and the one-year suspension he got.

I’ve been working on article about future Steelers Hall of Famers. It’s actually written but really needs editing.

A point trying to work in, but it’s on cutting block: Cowher and Dungy both are in Hall despite many other coaches with similar or even more success. Tomlin’s overall record on paper looks extremely similar.

A Major difference is perception. Cowher/Dungy left on top after years of coming up short with championship level teams. Cowher’s teams melted down every time and Tampa won right after replacing Dungy. But in finally getting that elusive Super Bowl in 05/06 respectively they Leon top — and their teams went on to reach the Super Bowl again 3 years later. It’s not hard to imagine both would have added to their respective resumes if they stayed.

Even I believe it fully - with both. There’s no question in my mind that Cowher would have 3 Super Bowls and Dungy would have 2 (and a 16-0 season to his credit).

I say it knowing full well there is no way to know. But the perception is reality.

Out of curiosity,nobody mentions Pete Carroll in this discussion as future HOF coach. Won a SB,lost one. 145-94 record. 11-10 in playoffs.

Reactions: FSF
regarding cowher/dungy.. both are former players,, both went on to win as HC. Both respected.. THEN Cowher went into the broadcasting side and was successful.. Dungy too but on more limited scale.

Not that I would have given a **** what you thought about “plagerism” — I was posting & contributing to this site long before most (going back to when it was becoming a “kinder, gentler” site) & earned the respect I’m due. Even if I spent a great deal of time away, I was personally asked to help contribute to building it back up. You can be sure that everything I put into articles are strongly researched and cited for authenticity.

I still have no clue what point you’re trying to make. where I’m contradicting my argument, or it makes the quotes from Noll & Cowher any less credible because they lost a single playoff game.

It’s just a fact in football - paralleled in life - that simply because a team didn’t win the Super Bowl doesn’t mean they weren’t a great team. You can do everything right and still lose no matter what endeavor it is.
wait? you think you've earned respect?

that might be the funniest comment ever on this site, not posted by me....

I mean, who's coaching today who will likely get in?
Bill Belicheat, and speaking of his cheating will be verboten, just like it is already. Remember Don Shula called him "Belicheat" on a broadcast once and not long afterward Don wasn't on TV anymore. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get in on the first ballot if the voters want to send a message.
Shades.
Mike Holmgren.
Sean Peyton maybe, he will be hurt by Bountygate and the one-year suspension he got.
bountygate was bullshit, complete and utter bullshit

bountygate was bullshit, complete and utter bullshit
Despite dubious evidence, he got a much harsher punishment than Belicheat did.

Tomlin's team beat a HOF QB in Rivers, a Superbowl MVP in Flacco, and a HOFer in Kurt Warner to win a Superbowl, so there's that...