• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2014 Pirates thread

Cutch, Watson and J Hay make the all star team

They all deserve it and I am especially glad harrison got in. He has played what 5-6 positions now? I cant think of any other players with that versatiity off-hand. Not to mention he has provided a good amount of offensive spark.

Walker woulda been there, but the Mets had to have someone....karma for all the years we had to have someone, I guess.

nice to see Watson make it, imo, he should be our closer....dude is icewater.

yay yay for J-Hay....nice surprise.

Locke outdueling AJ was sweet....now off to St.Louis to see if the Bucco's got what it takes.

What I love about the past few weeks is that they are beating up on the teams that they should beat. Even last year they had a way of losing to those teams.

Worely on the mound tonight. Gotta hit with RISP tonight.

Polanco will be around if he doesn't learn how to hit left handed pitching.

Beatin' up on the teams they should - not so with a better team. Hope they can win this last game with St. Louis and win at least 2 of 3 from Cincy.

This series is a good example that the Pirates need to get better if they want a shot at taking this division or going back to the post-season. They are almost there, but the Cards would beat them again in another PO. I think a good arm and bat is in order for the second half of the season. Just adding that beef still may not be enough, if the rich get richer and there's a good change they will. Might be time to start trading those farm pieces that probably wouldn't get a chance with the Big Club anyway.

well....at least they got a lil revenge.

off to the Queef City to try 'n put a dent in the Reds.

The Cards are a different team w/o their starting catcher in there. Nice win, though. They really needed that. Hope there is momentum going into Cinci for the last series before the break. I'll be happy with 2 out of 3.

Last year, late leads equaled a win. This year, the bullpen is gonna wreck the season. If the bullpen was as good as last year, we'd be 15 games over .500. What a disaster.

Wooooo! How bout them Reds!:D

All I can say is that I hope the next MLB commish is a tyrant who strips Nutting of the franchise... Maybe Nutting can do us all a favor and lay a racist intolerant rant out there for a softball for MLB... I mean this team has potential, but you know Cutch is traded in the next two years before he gets a big bump and that Polonco isn't going to get market value... Its sad.. if they would have made a couple solid moves in the offseason they probably at least have a solid lead on a wild card right now. If we had just kept Byrd and Morneau or added a pitcher or two that wasn't a reclamation project, maybe we aren't watching an overtaxed bullpen implode about the same time the hitting starts to finally come around for the umpteenth time in a row /end rant

All I can say is that I hope the next MLB commish is a tyrant who strips Nutting of the franchise... Maybe Nutting can do us all a favor and lay a racist intolerant rant out there for a softball for MLB... I mean this team has potential, but you know Cutch is traded in the next two years before he gets a big bump and that Polonco isn't going to get market value... Its sad.. if they would have made a couple solid moves in the offseason they probably at least have a solid lead on a wild card right now. If we had just kept Byrd and Morneau or added a pitcher or two that wasn't a reclamation project, maybe we aren't watching an overtaxed bullpen implode about the same time the hitting starts to finally come around for the umpteenth time in a row /end rant

Well I was also bashing them for not keeping Byrd, but I understand why now. He wouldnt fit on this team with Polanco up now. We could not pay him to be a backup either. Morneau is kinda iffy because first base is a bit shaky right now. I still think we need to do something with Pedro he is costing us games. If its possible I would move him to first and put Harrison at 3rd. Harrison needs to stay on the field somehow. I really can not picture them trading / not signing Cutch or Polanco. Hopefully they will be paid. I think the only one of our "core" who is trade bait would be Pedro, but we shall see.
I do not think anyone saw the bullpen implosion coming. Relief pitching was excellent last year and should have been a strong point heading into the season. I do not think Hurdle is leaving starters in long enough when they are pitching well. Last year if we were winning by the 7th 8th inning you may as well chalk up the W....This year it seems no lead is safe. I think our starters were 2nd or 3rd best ERA in MLB not too long ago. I do not think the bullpen is over-taxed they are just struggling. Somehow we need to pick up a reliever or 2 if we want to make a run. The guy we swapped with Grilli definitely does not seem like the answer.

I was at the game last night in Cincinnati. Sure was a heartbrake. We just did it again tonight. 4-0 lead going into the 6th, is now a 5-4 Reds lead.

3rd time in the last week the reds managed to overcome at least a 4-run deficit (assuming this holds up)

Woot woot! :p

That game tonight was a fantastic rollercoaster ride with a great result. Cutch is an amazing player. He's proving that last year's MVP honors was no fluke.

We found out on Friday night that our dear Mr. Watson...is truly human afterall...

But I am not so certain that Mr. McCutchen is.. :)

Let's Go Bucs!

I wouldn't say the bullpen has been overtaxed, as it's been terrible since the start of the year, and the starters have been consistently going deep into games for the past couple months.

Even with the hole at 1B, run production hasn't been an issue.

They just need to get Cole and Liriano healthy and into rhythm and strengthen the bullpen via trade and they'll be all right this season.

I wouldn't say the bullpen has been overtaxed, as it's been terrible since the start of the year, and the starters have been consistently going deep into games for the past couple months.

Even with the hole at 1B, run production hasn't been an issue.

They just need to get Cole and Liriano healthy and into rhythm and strengthen the bullpen via trade and they'll be all right this season.

I agree with what you said, but who do you think we should trade? I would trade Cumpton, Volquez, or Liriano and hopefully get at least one upper reliever. I would not trade Watson or Wilson, but I think anyone else is the bullpen could be up for grabs. Melancon pitches well Im just not a fan of his. He just seems to be missing something...Maybe he is just not comfortable this year from being bounced around?

It may not be popular, but I'd trade Pedro and get what you can for him now. He is falling out of favor with Hurdle and there's a damn good chance he will not get an extension. It's something I would throw out there and see what the return would be. Jay Hay can slide into 3rd, if they chose to move him.

It may not be popular, but I'd trade Pedro and get what you can for him now. He is falling out of favor with Hurdle and there's a damn good chance he will not get an extension. It's something I would throw out there and see what the return would be. Jay Hay can slide into 3rd, if they chose to move him.

I kind of agree with this. Pedro is Dave Kingman. I just don't see how you can give a guy like him big money. I wouldn't give him away of course, but if a good offer came, they'd be smart to consider it.

The bullpen has been shaky since last September, when Melancon began to struggle. He's been better this year, but his outings are still ugly, always allowing men on base, and having you at the edge of your seat.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading Pedro for a good prospect or two. You just can't count on him due to his extreme lack of consistency. His homers and power surges also seem to mostly come when they aren't needed in games. He also has showed no improvement in plate discipline over the past 3 years.