• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2014 Pirates thread

Pedro for Samardzija?
Melancon as the Closer shows how it's done with 3K's to end it.

I dont think they would trade pedro......He is our one true power hitter I would not trade that for a guy who may get a win once every 4-5 days. Harrison could be moved, but he is valuable to us and I personally would not want to see him go. Once Walker comes back though it will be harder to find a spot for him. I think Melancon is good temporarily as closer, but I wouldnt be surprised if we tried to land someone else.

Tekulve has put on a few pounds, be he should still be able to work the 9th on occasion.

I met Kent at the Zides store in the mall in Vienna WV when I was a kid. He talked to me and my dad for over 5 minutes. He and Steve Nicosia were really nice guys. Told me not to start throwing curveballs until i hit 14 years old. Told him I don't pitch, I am a catcher. He said you are too skinny to be a catcher, you need to pitch. Told him I was the best catcher in the league, he said he didn't believe me. My dad told him that I wasn't a good pitcher but a really good catcher. He asked if I could hit and I said I have the 2nd highest average in the league. He said do you have any power? I said I get a lot of doubles because I am fast. He said you will never make it in the pros unless you are a power hitting catcher. I said yeah but Steve isn't a good hitter and Nicosia kind of laughed, but I think he was a little pissed at me. My dad said well we need to get going now. Looking back on it my dad probably realized that his 10 year old son was about to get my dad in trouble :)

Nice to see Edinson Volquez go 8 strong innings, gives our bullpen a day of rest. Also it looked like anyone who had a bat - had role in the win. Good all -around game.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Harrison amid Walker's return.

With the way Harrison has been playing, they need to find a way to keep him regularly in the lineup.

He's too short for 1B. Alvarez would have a throwing error a game guaranteed trying to throw to him.

OK. Pedro at first. Harrison at 3rd.

Transitioning to a position one's never played before can be difficult. Moving Alvarez to 1B is the kind of move that needs to be implemented during Spring training

Despite accumulating saves, Melancon seems shaky to me.

They should look to add a quality reliever in July, IMO.

whelp! guess Josh Harrison will be playing left field for awhile. Marte might go on 15 day DL for a concussion.

Despite accumulating saves, Melancon seems shaky to me.

They should look to add a quality reliever in July, IMO.

what is shaky about last night?

Pittsburgh IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Locke(W, 1-1) 7.1 8 3 3 2 4 1 3.74
Hughes, J 0.0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1.93
Watson(H, 20) 0.2 0 0 0 0 1 0 0.76
Melancon(S, 13) 1.0 3 2 2 0 0 0 2.48
Totals 9.0 12 5 5 2 5 1 3.85

Killing me, can we please get a closer?

what is shaky about last night?

Pittsburgh IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Locke(W, 1-1) 7.1 8 3 3 2 4 1 3.74
Hughes, J 0.0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1.93
Watson(H, 20) 0.2 0 0 0 0 1 0 0.76
Melancon(S, 13) 1.0 3 2 2 0 0 0 2.48
Totals 9.0 12 5 5 2 5 1 3.85

Killing me, can we please get a closer?

Watson??? 5-0 0.76 ERA 45 strikeouts in 35 2/3 innings... 20holds... I know closers have to have a different mindset, but he seems to be having a great year so far.

How about trading Pedro for a starting pitcher and a good SS prospect?
I think the Yankees are in the mix, maybe the RedSox, and of course the rangers. see a pattern? 3rd base and DH

Struggling closer for a struggling closer. At least the guy the Pirates got is only 28 years old.

Yeah, that is the positive to be taken from it,.

Like Grilli, he's a pitcher with a track record of success who's struggling this season.

Both teams seem to be subscribing to the notion that a change of scenery can prompt a return to form.

Grilli had to go....better than DFA'ing him and still having to pay him.

they seemed to have fixed Worley, maybe they can fix Frieri.

meanwhile, it would be great to beat the Muckin' Fets again today, and keep moving up.

Bucs take 3 of 4 from the Mets. They need to keep that up. Some very winnable series over the next week.

Buccos done stole one tonight! very entertaining game.

I know "if's" don't count, but what if Liriano was pitching like he did last year and Alvarez was hitting like last year??? Bucs would be on top of the division.

I know "if's" don't count, but what if Liriano was pitching like he did last year and Alvarez was hitting like last year??? Bucs would be on top of the division.

Not with that bullpen.

Frustrating that this team lost 10 games in April by 2 runs or less. Especially to division opponents.