• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2014 Pirates thread

Mariners want Marte, according to reports and are willing to give up three pretty good prospects/players.

Mariners want Marte, according to reports and are willing to give up three pretty good prospects/players.

I dont think I would do this. We have one of the best, if not the best outfield in baseball. All 3 are still young I would not want to see the pirates break that up for prospects.

Alvarez still sucking. This time he hurt us with a throwing error. Yeah, Harrison did too. Not that I'm pulling for an injury, but at least now he's banged up Hurdle won't have to make excuses for starting someone else.

That' was a bunch of bullshit with the bean balls last night. Dodgers bean two of our guys, no warning, nothing. Our guy beans one of theirs, he gets tossed immediately. That home plate ump bust be Mattingly's **** buddy or something. some really bad calls on balls and strikes too. If I was Hurdle, I'd have tonite's starter drill the lead off batter right in the back with the first pitch of the game.

I'm just impressed one our pitchers showed some balls and hit one of the Dodgers after hitting Cutch. We didn't do crap the last two years the Reds did that BS. Gotta protect your franchise, intent or not.

Pedro makes me scratch my head. I don't really have too much to add about his bat and/or glove. I think I'd get what I can at the trade deadline and put JayHay at 3rd. He really can't be much worse, can he? I'd look for some pitching going down the stretch and maybe a strong bat. We showed we can play with LA, but they are missing some key pieces, too. The Bucs need to get stronger to compete with the Cards, Dodgers, Reds, Giants and Brewers.

My son is 9 years old and a novice baseball player. I'd absolutely trust him to make a better throw from 3rd to 1st base than Pedro Alvarez right now. What a head case this dude is turning into. It might be ok if he was hitting the hell out of the ball, but he sucks at the plate too. I'm sure it's all mental because he goes on hot streaks several times a year when he destroys the baseball for two weeks straight and doesn't commit these ridiculous throwing errors.

I chalk this one right up there with the warning the ump gave BOTH teams after the Reds plunked McCutcheon in the bottom of the first last year... No respect for Hurdle or the Pirates from the umpires... So they hit our batter first yesterday... then they hit the last batter to be hit yesterday... We hit the middle of the three batters to be hit and our pitcher and manager are ejected... sounds fair to me.

The only thing I wish is our pitcher was more coy about it. Don't go after the first batter. Go after the second or third batter in, so it doesn't look so plainly obvious what he intentions were. Less likely for ejection, but the fact we did respond is good enough.

If I was Hurdle, I'd have tonite's starter drill the lead off batter right in the back with the first pitch of the game.

Yeah... Give Pimentel a spot start tonight.

And how can you not consider moving Pedro to first base at this point?

And how can you not consider moving Pedro to first base at this point?

Hurdle continues to vehemently insist it isn't an option. They must be convinced that he's not capable of making the transition mid season.

I'll be shocked if they do not attempt to train him for the conversion during the winter, assuming he isn't traded.

First base is by far the easiest position to transition to. Just this week, the Yankees have thrown McCann in the lineup at first with Tex hurt. Any major league third baseman should be able to move to first and do a decent job.

First base is by far the easiest position to transition to. Just this week, the Yankees have thrown McCann in the lineup at first with Tex hurt. Any major league third baseman should be able to move to first and do a decent job.

I tend to agree with you in regard to it seemingly being an easy transition for a major league 3B, but the Pirates are totally reluctant to make the move for some reason.

With the way he has been hitting recently, it's not like he would be much of an upgrade over what they currently have at 1B anyway.

And they smoked the Dodgers again. Travis Snider nearly cleared the Stadium with that blast.

Great series victory over one of the NL's top teams. Good to see Franky pitch well tonight.

Now if the Brewers would quit winning!

Morton pitched good tonight. He fell off in the 7th, but that's to be expected? And he probably realized the offense wasn't planning on showing up tonight, so he figured, what the hell? Cutch looked off, as did Polanco. Alvarez had a bad PH at bat. Just a bad night that ended up a laugher.

Cutch has been struggling a bit lately, swinging at bad stuff he normally looks at. The good news about him is that when he goes through one of those spells it doesn't last much longer than a week or so, then he catches fire again. Pedro is the exact opposite, hot streak for 1 week, ice cold for 2 months.

Bad night. Locke was leaving pitches elevated, and once again, Pirates hitters couldn't scrap together more than a few hits in one of the best, if not the best, hitters ballpark in the game. Embarrassing. Gotta avoid the sweep tomorrow.

This is a bad baseball team the Bucs have gotten blown out by the past two nights. Have to do better than that.

maybe the high attitude is messing with their equilibrium. Sixteen runs in two games against that team is ugly.

The Frieri experiment needs to end - cut him, send him down, something... just get him out of the bullpen. And what does Martinez bring to the table - he can't hit. Looks like he's a 3rd baseman, but I see him in the outfield - if he's gonna be used there I'd rather it be Tabata --- is he gone or hurt or what? Pretty sure he got sent down, but he can surely hit better that this Martinez cat.

Nice win today along with a Brew Crew loss.

Tough series with the Giants coming up. Very important to take 2/3 from them and then 3/4 from the diamond backs.